PDA

View Full Version : Baby walkers?

suzyblue
20-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi guys,
Im after some advice on baby walkers-my grandaughter comes round to play and I thought about getting her one but I look after 2 other babies (with assistant!) who would probably like to use it too, I dont know what the current thinking is. Do they hinder childrens development?

Thanks all :thumbsup:

buzzy bee
20-10-2011, 07:34 AM
The advice I was given when my son was a baby was the ones that they sit in can hinder their development for 2 reasons - 1 they can become lazy as they don't have to try to walk on their own - they can get around with their walker, and 2 they encourage walking on tip toes.

I got him a push-along walker and these (I was told) are fine.

mama2three
20-10-2011, 07:35 AM
not if used appropriately and for limited time. I have used mine with my los after checking parents views. Tbh though they didnt really work very well as there are always toys around so not really enough free space for the babies to get around. There can be big risks with walkers depending on your layout and flooring but they can also be a great additional resource.

Nature'sKids!
20-10-2011, 07:35 AM
I never used a baby walker with either of my own children. There are IMO a few very valid reasons not to.
The most important one though is that the baby's hips are put under quite some pressure as babies are mostly sat on their crotch with legs dangling. It doesn't teach independent walking any sooner either. They can pose a risk as well as babies can crash into things or suddenly reach things they couldn't without having the understanding of why they shouldn't. They only really work on hardwood flooring too, hardly move on carpets Whig then defeats the point :/

If you get one they shouldn't be used for more than 20 minutes a day really and can only be used for a shorttime until they start walking anyway. They're bulky too :/

I would get a push along baby walker where baby is stood up independently holding on to the bar. I like the ones that come with building blocks on the other side but kids do seem to like the fisher price one too with te phone and buttons.