PDA

View Full Version : ARE CHILDMINDERS PROFESSIONALS?

butterfly
20-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi guys! Some of you will know that I'm conducting some research in to the relationship between parents and childminders for my MEd dissertation.

As part of this research I have gained permission to conduct a discussion on the forum to help my results.

I will be using comments from this discussion within my write up but I will not be referring to anyone by name or by forum username.

I am very interesting in the views of childminders AND parents and would love you guys to give all your opinions as fully as possible!

So to start the discussion -

ARE CHILDMINDERS PROFESSIONALS? DISCUSS!

flora
20-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Golly Butterfly, you do like to set the cat amongst the pigeons don't you??? :D

Do you mean are we equal to other childcare professionals such as nursey workers? Teachers? etc etc.

Do we view ourselves as equal or do others ???

Well I like the fact that because we work from home and no two settings are the same that make us all unique. So really it is difficult to compare us with any othe childcare workers in some ways.

As we are all different and our polices and working practices are different then I would say that some minders are only just " proffesional" and I have encountered some real corkers in my time. Others offer an amazing standard of care regardless of official grading and so in my eyes are proffesional.

I don't think you have to be like a mini nursery to be considered proffesional but I do think it has moved that way over the 15yrs I have been doing this. Some of this is driven from within the business itself and others aspects from parents, I am not 100% sure.

Well thats for starters, wil ponder it toady as I am mucking out and may whitter some more later :thumbsup:

jelly15
20-10-2011, 06:58 AM
There are some childminders who have formal qualifications (NVQ etc) who are not very professional and some who have no formal qualifications who are very professional, just as there are good and bad nursery workers and teachers IYSWIM.

I do believe that as childminding should be viewed as a profession and there are lots of us who work hard to show the public that we are. All too often we are perceived to be babysitters.

Carol M
20-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Yes, I am a Professional, see definition of professionalism on google :thumbsup:
I may add this question to my parent surveys,could be interesting.
Carol xx

mama2three
20-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I thik that until others within the sector ( and other related professionals!) start to regard childminders as professionals and respect us for the work we do then parents will also be unlikely to see us as childcare professionals . Im sure that when we approach schools / health visitors etc with an aim to work in partnership they are perplexed . EYFS has gone a long way in levelling the playing field but not far enough - how much awareness is there amongst the public and amongst the people we should be working alongside that we actually have exactly the same role and responsibility as , for example , a foundation stage teacher?
There are of course a huge range of skills , experiences , and attitudes between childminders. However these same differences also apply to teachers and yet as a whole they are regarded as professionals.

The definition of a 'profession' is 1.A paid occupation, esp. one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification - so on that basis are we professionals? Only in part unfortunately!

Has that answered the question - probably not ! :D

Roseolivia
20-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I think I myself am a professional, i've worked in the childcare sector for 18yrs and have gained lots of qualifications which i use to provide the sevice to the parents and children. The way i conduct myself not only to parents and children but to others (schools etc) shows i am professional. Hope this helps.

mandy moo
20-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Golly Butterfly, you do like to set the cat amongst the pigeons don't you??? :D

Do you mean are we equal to other childcare professionals such as nursey workers? Teachers? etc etc.

Do we view ourselves as equal or do others ???

Well I like the fact that because we work from home and no two settings are the same that make us all unique. So really it is difficult to compare us with any othe childcare workers in some ways.

As we are all different and our polices and working practices are different then I would say that some minders are only just " proffesional" and I have encountered some real corkers in my time. Others offer an amazing standard of care regardless of official grading and so in my eyes are proffesional.

I don't think you have to be like a mini nursery to be considered proffesional but I do think it has moved that way over the 15yrs I have been doing this. Some of this is driven from within the business itself and others aspects from parents, I am not 100% sure.

Well thats for starters, wil ponder it toady as I am mucking out and may whitter some more later :thumbsup:

Not quite the same, but I now have no children at all in the Eyfs group, they are all after schoolers, and for the present moment in time, dont intend taking on any more chidren.
I was graded satisfactory In my 1st graded inspection, and now overdue a grading inspection and wonder how this will affect me! My guess is that I will get another Satisfactory, despite the work I put in to my practice.

Penny1959
20-10-2011, 08:24 AM
An interesting question - and one that I feel there are hundreds of different answers to - each of us viewing professionalism differently and each of us viewing ourselves with different 'tick list'

An even more interesting question would be to ask us to say who we thought was professional :D

My personal answer is that I consider myself to be very professional - nothing to do with formal qualifications,number of short courses attended or Ofsted grade or membership of NCMA or being a network childminder (which I am not), or being a member of an online forum - although all of those CAN help - it really comes down to the person and how implements and uses all of the things mentioned - PLUS their own judgements and pratice.

When I was interviewed by NCMA and LA for my job as Network coordinator I was asked - 'How would you define quality Childminding' (which is a similar question really) I answered I can't - but I will know it when I see it!

I got the job!

So back to your question Butterfly -

the dictionary defination - is not that helpful for childminders - there are too many variants.

The Ofsted grading is flawed - a snapshot judgement and people can 'cheat' ie the practice on non inspection days is not the same as on inspection day.

Same can be said for ECCERS and all iots variants.

Being a member of a professional organisation such as NCMA - can prove nothing - other than have paid a membership fee - but on the other hand if members make the most of membership and are active members / take on board information - it can be part of being professional

Being a member of an on line forum - well depends how often use it - how use it (so sharing good practice / giving advice - or just as a place to 'chat'

Qualifications / short courses - yes can also help with professionalism - but also can just be a certificate in a folder and knowledge gained never used.

So my own defination is not a defination but a seris of questions - and ones I used in my LA job

Professionalism is about how you respond to the situations with childminding, so
Do you reflect and change practice where needed especially to meet the needs of children and parents ?
Are you constantly asking yourself - does this work - and if not why not?
Do you admit when things have not worked out as expected?
Do you consider there is always room for improvement - based on the fact that even if every 100% brilliant at this minute - in the next minute that could all change?

And finally

Do you believe that professionalism (and quality) is on a sliding scale - it does not matter where you start on the road to professionalism - because at that point in time you are being as professional as you can - BUT that to stay in the same place is not being professional (nor is it quality) - to constantly move along the line towards a place you never reach - is true professionalism.

My thoughts of course - will be interested in reading other thoughts - thank for posting this Butterfly.

Penny :)

Penny1959
20-10-2011, 08:27 AM
An interesting question - and one that I feel there are hundreds of different answers to - each of us viewing professionalism differently and each of us viewing ourselves with different 'tick list'

An even more interesting question would be to ask us to say who we thought was professional :D

My personal answer is that I consider myself to be very professional - nothing to do with formal qualifications,number of short courses attended or Ofsted grade or membership of NCMA or being a network childminder (which I am not), or being a member of an online forum - although all of those CAN help - it really comes down to the person and how implements and uses all of the things mentioned - PLUS their own judgements and pratice.

When I was interviewed by NCMA and LA for my job as Network coordinator I was asked - 'How would you define quality Childminding' (which is a similar question really) I answered I can't - but I will know it when I see it!

I got the job!

So back to your question Butterfly -

the dictionary defination - is not that helpful for childminders - there are too many variants.

The Ofsted grading is flawed - a snapshot judgement and people can 'cheat' ie the practice on non inspection days is not the same as on inspection day.

Same can be said for ECCERS and all iots variants.

Being a member of a professional organisation such as NCMA - can prove nothing - other than have paid a membership fee - but on the other hand if members make the most of membership and are active members / take on board information - it can be part of being professional

Being a member of an on line forum - well depends how often use it - how use it (so sharing good practice / giving advice - or just as a place to 'chat'

Qualifications / short courses - yes can also help with professionalism - but also can just be a certificate in a folder and knowledge gained never used.

So my own defination is not a defination but a seris of questions - and ones I used in my LA job

Professionalism is about how you respond to the situations with childminding, so
Do you reflect and change practice where needed especially to meet the needs of children and parents ?
Are you constantly asking yourself - does this work - and if not why not?
Do you admit when things have not worked out as expected?
Do you consider there is always room for improvement - based on the fact that even if every 100% brilliant at this minute - in the next minute that could all change?

And finally

Do you believe that professionalism (and quality) is on a sliding scale - it does not matter where you start on the road to professionalism - because at that point in time you are being as professional as you can - BUT that to stay in the same place is not being professional (nor is it quality) - to constantly move along the line towards a place you never reach - is true professionalism.

My thoughts of course - will be interested in reading other thoughts - thank for posting this Butterfly.

Oh and having read back my own post - is clearly nothing to do with being able to type or spell :laughing:

catminder
20-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I would say we are professionals, simply because we are regulated by Ofsted.

butterfly
20-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the discussion so far...

Another question to add to the mix...

WHAT MAKES A PROFESSIONAL?

snufflepuff
20-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I see myself as a childcare professional, unfortunately others do not! I think that we should be seen as professionals simply because of the service we provide, the paperwork we have to complete, the rules we have to follow. Most people just don't understand though.

md0u0131
20-10-2011, 01:20 PM
In my career I have worked in three different areas all of which I consider to be professions:
- I started life way back at medical school training to be a doctor, I didn't end up finishing the course as I got very ill and ended up spending a long period in hospital and in the end I graduated with a staright BSc in Genetics rather than the full medical degree.
- I then worked 6 years in schools as a qualified teacher
- Finally I've started childminding

All three areas I think are professional jobs in their own right, in all three areas you have to comply with profesisonal standards (either GMC or Ofsted), they all have regulatory bodies and in all you are ultimately doing the job to benefit someone else. If you asked the general public to say which one was the most "professional" I think childminding would come at the bottom of the list in most people's eyes. I think from the outside it has the perception of being a job you can do with few qualifications and I think there are still a lot of people who see it as glorified babysitting.

I certainly don't act any less professional as a childminder as I would have done a doctor and I don't see myself in an inferior less professional job!

Narnia34
20-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I previously trained to be a psychiatric nurse, which I consider to be a profession. I have since done various jobs until now where friends of mine convinced me that I should child mind.

I have approached CM in the same way as I approached nursing ie professionally.

I take training and research based practice seriously and apply knowledge gained to my practice. I am self reflective and self critical, constantly asking myself 'why did I do that like that?' 'How could that have been done better?' 'What training/resources/approach could I access in order to improve this aspect of my practice?' I have a sound knowledge base of child development and the EYFS outcomes. I am a member of a professional body, which not only represents my views in governmental decision making, but also disseminates information on best practice.

It is this constant striving for better practice and better outcomes for the children we look after that makes us professionals as opposed to daytime babysitters.

I just wish that other child care professionals would actually look at what we do now, rather than rely on out dated views of what CM is!

ScoobyDoodle
20-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi, I don't that the perception is that Childminders are seen as Professionals, as someone already mentioned doctors and teachers are perceived as such. Personally, I wouldn't consider anyone a Prof. unless they had studied for 4-6 years and gained an NVQ 5 or post-grad status. However, that doesn't in any way shape or form make a newly registered childminder less of a professional than someone who ticked all the boxes. Ofsted regulation & EYFS should go some way to making a childminder professional. Perhaps this is more about the difference between a profession and a professional working manner? Kerry

butterfly
20-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Great ideas guys - please keep them coming!

Something else to think about:

DO PARENTS THINK CHILDMINDERS ARE PROFESSIONALS?

rosebud
20-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I view myself as a professional and my parents definitely view me and treat me as a professional. I view childminding as a profession but admit don't view all of the childminders I know as professionals. Just as in other roles there are huge disparities in standards between childminders and it saddens me sometimes to see what I would regard as less than excellent care.
It is true that other practitioners often don't regard childminding as a profession but I view it as a challenge to change these views by behaving at all times in a professional way and certainly won't allow other practitioners to treat me as any less than their equal.

francinejayne
20-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I consider that i am a professional - to me that means I care very much about what I am doing, how I am doing it, the impact I am having, how I can change things to improve them, and the perceptions others may have of me. It does not matter one bit what qualifications I have!

I am actually highly qualified to post grad level, and 2 years ago I held down an extremely well paid 'professional' career type job - I was head hunted from previous jobs, and my prospects were great. I chose to give it all up to be a childminder as that was where my passion lay, and I was finally fortunate enough to be able to do so financially.

I think that some of my parents consider me as a professional, however unfortunately I guess that most don't! I think most people have the perception that childminding is done by women who have a young family to fit around their family, and is more of a make-do type of job, just to earn a few extra pennies. And if that is the reason why someone chooses to be a childminder then that is fine, however it does not preclude them from being a professional also.

There are a number of childminders in my area that I know, who have on paper more child related qualifications and experience than me, I do not consider them to be any more professional than myself, and in fact in some cases I would state that they are not at all professional, unfortunately.

Very interesting thread!

stardust
20-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I think a professional is some one who has a career!

I think childminders that attend regular training, improve their practice and aim to keep standards high are professionals, simply because to them it is a career they are constantly wanting to be better

I believe that those who couldn't care less (and yes they are out there) can not be classed as professionals as to them it is just a JOB!

I feel that childminders, nursery nurses, nannys, mother helpers, childcare students ect are all childcare practitioners.

loocyloo
20-10-2011, 07:02 PM
yes, childminders are professionals but some are more professional than others.:rolleyes:

i think that childminders who constantly strive to be the best and do the best they can for the children in their care, their childrens families and themselves are professional, whether they have been a childminder for 20 years or 20 minutes!

i know some childminders who, after 20 years of being a childminder, still see it as a way to stay at home and drink coffee, that i don't see as professional.

i think the way a childminder presents themself goes a long way to being viewed as professional. i know the people i meet with my 'professional hat', respect me and my views and i them. however, you get some proeffesionals who see childminders as babysitters, and do not treat them with respect.

do my parents think i am professional, yes, they do, but for the majority, the initial thought seems to be that i have been in childcare for a long time ( 20+ years ) and am well qualified therefore i must be a professional, then as they get to know me, they see that i'm actually good with the children too!

one mum said she'd seen a childminder where she used to live, who advertised herself as a 'professional childcarer', but when she met her, all the childminder was interested in was how hard she was going to have to work with the child. mum decided not to go back to work as a result! ( incidently, child is a dream! )

the public perception though, is generally that childminders are babysitters and i don't think we are seen as professionals.

sarah707
20-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I believe I am a professional - I work hard even though I don't go out to work and I produce professional paperwork - even though I don't get paid time to do it in like teachers or someone who works in an office.

The reason I said that about going out to work is to highlight the often perceived link between professionalism and leaving the house wearing a suit every morning which seems to be a pre-conception of the older generation and many of my 'professional' friends such as teachers and lawyers.

I am professional with the children - I work with them on a much more focussed level than they get in group settings and I am respectful and clued into their needs, both learning and care.

A professional is about attitude and the value you place on the job you do. At the end of the day the majority of people can choose to be a childminder (with a CRB and a house to work from) but only those with passion for the job and and a professional outlook will strive to do their absolute best for the children, whatever the cost.

Some of my parents see me as a professional - some see me as a babysitter - some see me as a necessary evil because they need to go out to work. I work to change their views but they are often ingrained from their own upbringing with the 'baby minder down the road'.

One parent a few years ago remembered her time with her baby minder fondly... the television she watched, the biscuits she ate - I think she was actually sad that her child was missing out on that kind of life!! Yet in her day that childminder probably would have told you she was a professional as well - she never lost a child or caused a child ill, she kept them fed and watered, she chatted to them and helped them make their biscuits etc etc...

Good luck with your essay :D

manjay
21-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I absolutely see myself as a professional however I think it is an extremely subjective statement. What I see as being professional may not be another persons perception and I think the way in which childcarers are viewed is a societal issue that won't be changed quickly.

My parents see me very much as a professional and in fact I had one Mum yesterday who doesn't often say much, say how lucky my parents and children were that I was so involved in the volunteering side of NCMA and how much commitment to the profession that shows on my part.

Interestingly enough the perception of childminders as professionals is high on NCMA's strategic plan at the moment. Currently there are consultations going on around the country in order to get members views on developing professional standards for childminders. Most other professions have these already and although it won't make a difference overnight it is just part of the uphill battle that we face to be seen by both parents and the sector as professionals.

mummyMia
21-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Please don't all hate me for saying this but I just don't see myself as a professional, certainly not in the way that I was in my previous career. Yes, my paperwork looks professional, yes, I attend training, yes, I try to treat parents in a professional manner but at the end of the day I am just a stay at home mum trying to earn a little extra money. Anybody can register as a childminder, it doesn't actually require any formal training or experience. It takes years of training and practical experience to become a doctor, solicitor, accountant, gas installer, electrician etc. Becoming a childminder only really requires a CRB check and a few really basic courses. Over time some chilminders will acquire vast knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications but these are not actually a requirement of registration. So, I would say that individual childminders may become professionals in the long term but as a group I would not say that all childminders are professionals.

You can start sending the hate mail now:blush:

butterfly
23-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Fab replies thanks guys!

More food for thought:

ARE NURSERY NURSES / PRE SCHOOL WORKERS PROFESSIONALS?

butterfly
24-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Have a look at the updated questions!

Really interested in your opinions?

Bluebell
25-10-2011, 02:46 PM
yes, childminders are professionals but some are more professional than others.:rolleyes:

i know some childminders who, after 20 years of being a childminder, still see it as a way to stay at home and drink coffee, that i don't see as professional.

the public perception though, is generally that childminders are babysitters and i don't think we are seen as professionals.

I completely agree! I work extremely hard taking care of children, it is constant - providing different activities, outings, clearing round after them, doing paperwork at the end of the day - even parents who treat me as a professional seem surprised I'm not doing my housework/shopping/laundry. I am being paid to look after their children! I do not have time to do it and I do it in my time like any other working person would!

Most people have heard of childminders but do they actually know they have to attend a course, safeguard training, first aid training and go through rigorous Ofsted registration? Most people I know have been surprised at all it entails and it doesn't stop there - it is ONGOING! There was a documentary recently where an illegal immigrant who was been arrested for something and was described as a childminder. Really?? what kind of childminder was she?!
I have to say if I ever describe myself as a childminder I always put 'Ofsted Registered Childminder' Purely because it sounds more, well, - 'professional'!

butterfly
25-10-2011, 04:07 PM
DO YOU WANT CHILDMINDERS TO BE CLASSED AS PROFESSIONALS?

IF YES, WHAT WOULD NEED TO HAPPEN TO CHILDMINDING IN THE UK TO MAKE CHILDMINDING A PROFESSION?

uf353432
25-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Am I professional? Do the parents think I am?

Yes I am definately professional and I work in the childcare profession which encompasses schools, preschools, nurseries and childcare. In my role as childminder I have liased with the Early years director at our local council on joint partnerships. Became the chair of the advisory board for our childrens centre, set up a childminding group, liaised with the school and run their toddler group for them, i work closely in partnership with the local preschool, work closely with the local nursery, work with the reception teachers. The local preschool manager and reception teachers have been to my setting to visit and see me in action - and were delighted with what they see and come back time and again.

I have undertaken countless courses, I am quality assured, I am accredited I am an enabled childminder, I have my level 3 diploma and am now studying towards my foundation degree.

I have a SEF which is a working tool, I use headed paper, I send invoices using a proper invoice template. I know my policies, I read them, run my setting by them and review them regularly.

How do I know my parents think I am professional? because I ask them - its one of the questions on my questionnaire to them. They all say YES.

How do I know that other childminders think I am professional? because they tell me - frequently.

In everything I do, the way I carry myself, my setting, every correspondance and interaction with children, familes, other childminders, early years team, our NCMA office, the childrens centre, the school I act in a professional way. I take my reponsibity very seriously and that is reflected in everything I do, being professional extends beyond training, its who you are and the way you present yourself. It wouldn't be professional to go out, get drunk as a skunk and post lurid pictures of yourself on Facebook for everyone to see. Nor is having a shouting match at the park with another mum because she was having a bad day. Nor is making a comment about a rubbish day at work on FB and a friend of a parent seeing it. These are all things I have seen, not done and they don't smack of professional. Now thats not to say a professional individual can't get drunk, have a bad day or get involved in an arguement - I just think where children are involved in your profession the stakes are higher and you can't publically do these things or broadcast these things.

Another thing is bitching about other childminders - that something that I see ALL the time - constructive critism is fine, healthy even - but derogatory comments is totally unprofessional and unless that kind of thing is curbed I doubt anyone will see childminding as a professional trade.

Those who consider themselves professional, carry themselves well and do a great job - they are all helping to make sure the job is more professional. If you convince a few more people when you meet a new crowd that we are professionals then slowly they will come round, some may never!!!

My dad is a classic example of this:

When I first started minding he called it babysitting

3 yrs on we have progressed to - you missed your vocation - you should have been a teacher. To which I replied - oh but I am dad, I really really am.

For dinosaurs like my dad - some minds are set in stone. :laughing:

ozzy10
06-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I believe we are professionals and I was on a course recently and the tutor said you are all professionals you care for the most precious people in the world and you certainly don't get the recognition or the wage you deserve! :clapping: :)

buildingblocks
06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
ARE CHILDMINDERS PROFESSIONALS? DISCUSS!

Hmmmm

Okay I think there are many who do not see childminding as a Profession (or a career choice) and therefore to them we cannot be Professionals.

To me there lies the difference many people would think of a professional having a profession (apologies for any spellings) but I do see myself as a Professional.

I am professional in the way I approach my job and how I work and I also behave in what I would think of as a professional manner (completely different to how I possibly am in my spare time if that makes sense). I do not necessarily think being a professional is about being trained or qualified although for many you would have to do these to be 'a' professional ( and it may be the addition of that one letter that makes how you see it - if that makes sense).

For me my qualifications and training are what help me to be professional but I also know some who may do these but are not professional in the way they speak to the children in their care or talk about their parents there are also those who do not do this but update their knowledge in different ways e.g. they may not be confident doing written work. I am very overweight so some may think I am not professional because I may not look like what they imagine a professional to look like but I do not open the door to parents in a dressing gown (which to me wouldn't be professional).

buildingblocks
06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
WHAT MAKES A PROFESSIONAL?

Attitude to how you approach your work. To people could be doing exactly the same job but one could be a professional and the other not.

If one approaches their job with enthusiasm, willingness, enjoyment for what they do then they will probably be more of a professional then someone who hates their job, doesn't make an effort, etc.

Probably not the best way of describing it but hopefully you understand what I mean.

buildingblocks
06-11-2011, 07:56 PM
DO PARENTS THINK CHILDMINDERS ARE PROFESSIONALS?

How long is a piece of string?

Some do but probably more don't. But is that because society in general don't view childminders as such and many still have the old fashioned image of childminders as someone doing it for a bit of extra money while their children are young.

I have had prospective parents (and other childminders) question why I am a childminder as I don't have children. One parent actually said she wouldn't use me as I didn't have children (although other children were in the setting -and believe me that hurt).

I can honestly say of my three sets of parents one set would probably answer yes one would definitely say no and the other I'm not sure about.

buildingblocks
06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
No hate mail I promise - well at least not from me

Please don't all hate me for saying this but I just don't see myself as a professional, certainly not in the way that I was in my previous career.

I find this interesting that you say you don't see YOURSELF as a professional (and do you see all childminders as not being professional or just yourself). Can I ask what was your previous career? (nothing meant by this)?

Yes, my paperwork looks professional, yes, I attend training, yes, I try to treat parents in a professional manner
I agree these help towards being a professional but don't actually mean anything with some some people I could name some with no qualifications who are more professional than some with.
but at the end of the day I am just a stay at home mum trying to earn a little extra money.
but I have no children and this is my career so that is where we differ but it doesn't make you any less of a professional unless you think it.

Anybody can register as a childminder, it doesn't actually require any formal training or experience. It takes years of training and practical experience to become a doctor, solicitor, accountant, gas installer, electrician etc.

Becoming a childminder only really requires a CRB check and a few really basic courses. Over time some chilminders will acquire vast knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications but these are not actually a requirement of registration.

So, I would say that individual childminders may become professionals in the long term but as a group I would not say that all childminders are professionals.

I see where you are coming from but on the same lines then all Doctors/solicitors are qualified and in a profession but would you call a teacher who has been arrested for downloading images of children a Professional.

This is where I think there is a very subtle difference between the two words of Profession and Professional hope that makes sense

JCrakers
11-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I see myself as a professional. My qualifications enable me to be a nanny, nursery nurse or childminder.
I chose to be a childminder over the other two because I didn't see the point in getting childcare for my own two children.
I have a professional approach to my job and strive to become better.

Some childminders I meet are far from professional and it's these people that give parents he idea that we just sit about all day chatting and drinking tea :angry:

Although its funny because although I feel professional, when I meet parents at toddler group and they find out I'm a childminder, the look I get doesn't make me feel professional. Unfortunatley people do not know how much work is involved

lexilooloo
01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
I have just come back from a pre-reg meeting and for the first 5 minutes of the talk all she was talking about is that we ARE professional and that we are up there with teachers etc. Back in the day when the level 3 wasn't required, then she said that wasn't so much classed as a profession. But now the level 3 is/will be a requirement, that has changed all of that. Her words, not mine! - and to be honest I quite disagree with her! All you girls that have been doing it for x amount of years, I am sure you show far more professionalism and knowledge than those who are a bit green around the ears!!

Sissy
06-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Very often when I approach some of the parents I work with to discuss their children development/behaviour, etc...they don't fully 'trust' or 'consider' what I am talking about and end up the conversation usualy saying things along the line: I will talk with x,y or z who is a primary teacher, or I will contact a professional such as psicologist or even I will ask my mum...
Sometimes I do wonder why i even try to discuss their children deelopment and behaviour with them...

faerielies
30-04-2012, 08:25 AM
As far as i am concerned childminders are professionals.
i have trained as a nurse therefore i am seen as a professional, i have workes just as hard doing my training for becoming a childminder (if not more as in nursing you don't make up your own policies) so i believe i am a professional. Personally in regards to being a professional, if you have first hand experience and the training/ following of the curriculum you are a professional. Those who just do the training but never experience things first hand are the ones who i don't feel are the professionals. It is the experience and knowledge that make people worthy of the trust.

just my opinion but i always contacted my mum or her friend (both were childminders) when i needed help in regards to a chiuld (usually when a friends child was ill). Who better to ask for advice: the one who deals with children every day or the one sat behind a desk with a book?