PDA

View Full Version : Safety film on glass

NicoleW
20-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Okay so far I've purchased the double glazing window film thing? That was quite tricky to put on and it looks absolutely horrid.

Then I went to B & Q and asked for safety film for glass so they gave me this roll of stuff.

Anyway on the instructions it said to apply it to a wet window which I did, thinking that it has some kind of sticky stuff when the water gets applied.

No. It does not. It comes off very easily so it's only stuck on by water.

These are the only two options I get when I ask for safety film for glass/windows.

Where else can I buy it from, I want something I can just plainly stick to the windows instead of having to faff around with hairdryer, then not cutting it down properly and I'm just wasting money

MaffAnna
20-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Hi, I got mine from ebay. You just sprayed soapy water on the window then trimmed and left to dry. It stuck fast, even when I'm scrubbing a sticky hand print off it! It had to be stuck right side down tho, maybe that's the prob?

Also you can't see it unless you know it's there and you look for it.

Becci26
20-10-2011, 07:13 AM
We got ours online, will see if I can find the link later...

Ours is clear and stuck fast, dont think it will ever come off lol! We applied it with soapy water (and plenty of it), when it was first finished it looked like it had tons of air bubbles in it and was awful. It took a couple of weeks to dry out and now you would never know it was there!

rickysmiths
20-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Nicole who old are your double glazed windows? They would have to be very old now not to have safety glass in them .

Can you see a Kite mark etched onto the window anywhere? Mine are quite small and in a corner. If they have this then you don't need to use Safety Film. The same applies to internal doors or display cabinets. I bought Ikea Billy cabinets many years ago and they heve tall to the floor glass doors but the glass is safety glass.

If in doubt I would check with the manufacturer, supplier and if they are safety glass ask if they can confirm this in writing for you on leter headed paper.

The only instance that safety film would be needed these days would be for very old, prob in excess of 10 years old Patio windows or old glss fronted furniture or very old internal glazed doors. If internal doors are that old then you might consider having them re glazed with modern glass anyway for your own families safety.

chez
20-10-2011, 08:05 AM
weve moved into rented accom. and I have a glass pannelled living room door.
Its a grid 5 x 3. I also have a glass pannel wall next to it 1x4.

None of these have safety film weve brought the stuff from mothercare but Im rather nervous applying it as it looks rather tricky.

NicoleW
20-10-2011, 09:04 AM
We don't have double glazing, none of the windows in the house has a safety kite mark on either. Stupid landlord.

Yeah the thing we got, the film, it says to spray it with water then apply.

I did this yesterday and I just went to check if it's stuck and it just really easily peels off. Shall I try warm soapy water?

Pauline
20-10-2011, 09:12 AM
We don't have double glazing, none of the windows in the house has a safety kite mark on either. Stupid landlord.

Yeah the thing we got, the film, it says to spray it with water then apply.

I did this yesterday and I just went to check if it's stuck and it just really easily peels off. Shall I try warm soapy water?

We had to put some on a glazed internal door when we moved, it is in the Forum Shop. http://astore.amazon.co.uk/childminding-21/detail/B002QETJ9G

Like yours it had to be sprayed with soapy water but it too a few days before it was dry and stuck hard, probably best not to keep peeling it to check as that might affect the adhesion.

You only need protective film on glass below a certain level, not all glass.

Pauline
20-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Just found this explaining the heights:

Doors
Any glazing or part of that glazing in a door, which is between the finished floor level and a height of 1500mm above the floor level, is in a 'critical location'.
Side Panels to Doors
Any glazing or part of that glazing, which is within 300mm of either side of a door edge and which is between the finished floor level and a height of 1500mm above the floor level, is in a 'critical location'.
Windows, partitions, and walls
Any glazing or part of that glazing, which is between the finished floor level and a height of 800mm above the floor level, is in a 'critical location'

Reference: the above taken from this site: http://www.warmedgeunits.com/safety.html

Also more here on the government website:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg212.htm

Flisspaps
20-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that Pauline - the Ofsted inspector who saw me in July was pretty adamant that I should have done ALL of my glazed panel back door (I'd only done the first couple of panels. I shall make a note of those measurements in case it's questioned again!

Pauline
20-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that Pauline - the Ofsted inspector who saw me in July was pretty adamant that I should have done ALL of my glazed panel back door (I'd only done the first couple of panels. I shall make a note of those measurements in case it's questioned again!

I've only done the bottom six panels (small ones) and she was fine with it, shows how they all differ :rolleyes:

Natternic
20-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi I had to do some internal doors althought they werent that old, they werent safety glass. Anyhow we bought a roll from Chesterford Safety online.
I was told we only had to put it on the panes from waist height down. A friend of mine who used to be a vinyl fitter came round and did it, the first one looked awful loads of bubbles then when he read the instructions and did it properly sraying it with water it turned out perfectly. Thankfully you cant see they are on there as when i was first told about them officer said they dont look great but youve got to have it.
hth
http://www.chesterford.co.uk/acatalog/Window___glass_safety_film.html