PDA

View Full Version : Help.

littlesprogs
14-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Some of you may remember me saying that I might be looking after a little boy and i was waiting for the mum to find out what days she was working. Well anyway she has just rang now to say she has an induction day at work on tuesday which is when she will find out her days and hours of work etc. She asked if i could have him and of course said yes but she hasnt signed contracts yet as she doesnt know the days or hours needed until her induction. I said i would do tuesday as a settling in session for him for free but am I allowed to do this if she hasnt signed the contract? I have no doubt that she'll sign when she collects him on tuesday as she has filled in all the paperwork apart from the days needed.

Also what do i do with him he will be here from 9.30 till 4.30 if its a nice day obviously i will take him to the park but i dont have many toys yet as i wasnt planning on starting work till september and dont have any money to go out and buy some until she signs the contract and pays deposit. He is 2 n a half.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated :D

SimplyLucy
14-05-2008, 01:24 PM
You won't need many toys.

A wooden spoon and a saucepan are great.
Maybe do some baking with him.
Colour dry rice with a few drops of food colouring, great for running fingers though or even use it for sticking to make pictures.
Trip to the park will take up a little time.

Good luck.

mrsb
14-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, if you're not getting paid then it doesn't matter if you haven't signed contracts, you need to get all the emergancy contact and allergies etc info though - just to be safe :)

Maybe you could do cooking with him if you need to be indoors, or make playdough? It's cheap and easy to make ;) or just get some big boxes and make things from them :)

Have fun :D

SimplyLucy
14-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Just remembered the coloured rice makes an excellent shaker when put in a clear plastic bottle. Remember to secure the lid with a bit of tape just to be sure it's on tight though :)

littlesprogs
14-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Ooo yes cooking is a good idea, i have some of those kids cake things that you get from the supermarket that are easy to make.

I have cardboard boxes coz i've just had a load of stuff delivered from argos!

He loves my 2 cats so they will keep him occupied.

I have just bought a sandpit for the garden too but i havent bought bucket or spades yet. I could have borrowed off my sister in law but she went on holiday this morning for a week.

mrsb
14-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Ooo yes cooking is a good idea, i have some of those kids cake things that you get from the supermarket that are easy to make.

I have cardboard boxes coz i've just had a load of stuff delivered from argos!

He loves my 2 cats so they will keep him occupied.

I have just bought a sandpit for the garden too but i havent bought bucket or spades yet. I could have borrowed off my sister in law but she went on holiday this morning for a week.

plastic beakers and spoons ;)

SimplyLucy
14-05-2008, 01:30 PM
My sand pit is too small for lots of buckets and spades so the children all use beakers and plastic spoons!

littlesprogs
14-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh yea, you guys are good at this lol. Its like your professionals or something haha

ma7ie
14-05-2008, 02:39 PM
My dd prefers plastic cups and spoons in the sandpit. Also a colander or sieve.

What about sticking pictures out of magazines onto paper to make collages too.

Banana
14-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Hope it all goes well!

You've already had your questions answered so i'll just say enjoy all the fun!

x

mummyof3
14-05-2008, 03:55 PM
My 2yr old just plays in the garden all day long!! Parks are a big favourite as well. At this age they are happy doing anything new and fun. Good luck!:)

Pauline
14-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Great ideas there!

Do you have any plastic animals? you could bury them in the sand and let him treasure hunt. Anything plastic would do if not, toy cars, blocks etc.

You are good to have him for free for a whole day Sproggie! :)

littlesprogs
14-05-2008, 04:23 PM
thanks everyone.

I'm doing it as a favour to her really, she was really nice when she came round and she was honest about not knowing her days etc and shes really struggled to find someone. This is the only settling in session he will get so dont mind really coz normally i would do a couple of hours over a few days so it probably works out the same anyway. Not only that but I am getting really bored sitting around and not doing anything all day lol

Rubybubbles
14-05-2008, 06:19 PM
some great ideas there everyone:clapping:

hope it all goes well for you hun, nice to know your a sucker too! I always offer 9-3 ish as a settling in time:p

emler
14-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Good luck on Tuesday - I hope you have a good day whatever you decide to do

Emler x

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Good luck Tuesday Louise

Hope you have a fun day

Angel xx