PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite CDs - for when minding?

Helcatt
19-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I am looking for some inspiration!

I used to have a few nursery rhyme CDs but after a while, they really annoyed me, not particularly well done and 12 CD set meant a lot of repetition!

I often have Classic FM on in the background and my current favourite is

The Trojan Records "Reggae for kids" - 3 discs, all fab sounds

What are your current favourites? I want to spend some money on music in my Nov resources budget

Hx

sarah707
19-10-2011, 07:00 PM
The children love anything by the Wiggles :D

Tealady
19-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a couple of Kinder Music CD's I use in the setting. However the children often want something on in the car so anything that's catchy and not too racey. At the moment I have Abba, Shed 7 and Scouting for Girls.

jumping j
19-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I went into the local pound shop and they had a selection of children's songs, nursery rhymes and story cd's for...you've guessed it £1 each!!!:laughing:
The kids listen to them in the car and the younger ones copy the actions that the older ones do, then when we're listening to them at home they all join in

WibbleWobble
19-10-2011, 07:50 PM
led zep 1
led zep 2
led zep 3

they are into Graceland by Paul Simon at the mo

mandy xxx

marian
19-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I usually have Radio 2 on in the kitchen :)

one of the LO's mums ( who doesn't look as though she is a radio 2 listener more like radio 1!!:laughing: ) said the other day LO was singing a radio 2 'jingle' in the car!:laughing:

Marian x

katie78
19-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I change it up a bit as I love Kerrang radio but also love a bit of the wiggles, my last.fm page is getting ruined by scrobbling stuff for the kids lol !! I dont have anything on cd by the wiggles so I play it through spotify :clapping:

newkid
19-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Mine love the wiggles too and one mindee likes to dance to all the Lazy town songs, she knows all the words too.:)

Velleity
20-10-2011, 05:58 AM
I just got this one:

http://www.chickenshed.org.uk/195/cds-and-dvds/tales-from-the-shed-present-tales-talking-cd.html

It's really good :D

miss mopple
20-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Faves are:

Spud and Yam
Sticky Kids
Putamayo Playground
SPider in the bath
Silly songs

mrsbumbles
20-10-2011, 06:43 AM
We have Super Simple Songs, Halloween CD playing constantly at the moment.

Really simple and catchy :)

sweets
20-10-2011, 06:56 AM
my mindees would probably love the wiggles but i can't stand them so they wont be going on :laughing:

we play childrens cd's now and again but tend to only have them on if we join in and do the actions, i dont have them just on in the background (they get on my nerves a bit!)
quite often i just have the local radio station on :blush: (is that bad?) lol

most of the time tho i dont have any music on.

manjay
20-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't have background music as research shows that can have a negative impact on children's communication skills.

Mine love Sticky Kids action cd's.

The Juggler
20-10-2011, 11:16 AM
jungle book at the moment

we youtube a lot of videos/music to dance to current favorites are:

a zumba website - for waka waka and baila pa emociana
don't worry (sung by children in jamaica)
a south african video where a huge group of people just wiggle their bottoms for a 4 minute track (great exercise)
a feel good african track
childrens classics - when we get our ballet dresses on or get the drums out for a bit of mozard or sugar plum fairy

singlewiththree
20-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I love this one for a structured music time
http://www.piccolomusic.co.uk/

We were told at a course that background music can hinder children's speech and language development so only ever use it at particular times

Carol M
20-10-2011, 12:37 PM
We are loving Vivaldi's 4 seasons (Autumn ) at the mo, also been learning "we plough the fields and scatter" from You Tube ( this hymn brings tears to my eyes, happy schooltime memories)
I use the radio too, classic fm is calming and Punjabi radio for some upbeat dancing music. I do have a selection of kids cd's, mainly nursery rhyme type ones, "wheels on the bus" is probably the fav.
Going to look up the Zumba website now, sounds fun.
Carol xx

loocyloo
20-10-2011, 12:55 PM
i love the wiggles, australian playschool ( i have trisha who was on tv in UK ( talk show or something?) singing on it! ) and hi-5.

assorted ELC cds, songs from the shows, and lots of varied classical music, at the moment listening to the planets. i like peter & the wolf too, as well as all the big choral stuff like the messiah. karl jenkins adieamus is great for calming down music.

DD is mad about abba, so we seem to listen to alot of abba!

we only listen to it sometimes, or in the car.

candlequeen
20-10-2011, 07:05 PM
We sometimes listen to FunKids on digital radio - they have peaceful music to sleep to between 1 and 2, and they have various programmes and music on at other times of the day.
Also a parent lent me some Putumayo Kids CDs - Animal Playground and also New Orleans Playground - and the kids love them. Especially the Animal Playground one.

Helcatt
20-10-2011, 07:51 PM
This is why I want to make sure I have some good stuff playing when I do! We don't have music on all the time, but today we had the instruments out and were shaking and rattling along to the CD

I look after a lad with speech problems and have complained on a number of occasions at the children's centre when they have the music on really loud and for no apparent reason!

I love this one for a structured music time
http://www.piccolomusic.co.uk/

We were told at a course that background music can hinder children's speech and language development so only ever use it at particular times

Helcatt
20-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I also hate the wiggles, so however much they might be, they will not be playing in this house!

Thanks for the suggestions, will have a scoot around amazon and make up my wish list now

HX

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I like everything from classical to german rock bands lol.
We play what were in the mood for, but structured song time is led by guitar and my own "lovely" voice lol

nikki thomson
21-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi, kings of Leon, take that or bruno mars seem to the favourite, i soooo want to video the kids singing to marry me by Bruno mars its hilarious.
Don't do nursery ryhmes. X