PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a "clothing policy?"

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Basically as my kids will be spending a lot of time outdoors in all weathers I need to make sure they are dressed appropriately.
Ie that girls aren't wearing just skirts and tights in the middle of winter when I would be wearing tights and trousers iyswim.
Also hats, gloves, waterproofs and good warm and waterproof boots suitable for winter weather. I'm not talking wellies here because you can't really climb tree trunks or slopes in wellies.
I hate nothing more than seeing kids in ballerinas, sheer tights, pretty dresses and cropped jackets with a pretty crocheted hat in December!!

(not made up... Little girl looked cute as a button but I was cold in my winter jacket, fur lined boots and wooly hat!)

And yes, I AM used to the cold having lived in Austria and experienced winters with -20C winters lol

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't be harsh to say that if a child came in inappropriate clothing it would impact on te other kids as I couldn't go out in good conscience with an understaffed child. Ie that it would be very unfair to this who are dressed properly who couldn't go out because of 1 child iyswim?

Pipsqueak
19-10-2011, 10:16 AM
hah good luck in getting parental understanding and co-operation.

I have given up and now keep a stash of warm/appropriate kids clothing

babs
19-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I've just sent s letter out saying as winter is almost upon us can you please make sure your child(ren) have a jumper or cardi under their coat as we have to do school run in a morning and its cold out there . also please provide extra set of clothes ( full set vest, pants , trousers/skirt tights , top , jumper/cardi and socks ,) also please provide water proof shoes or wellies and warm winter coat,hat, scraf and gloves so we can play outside in muddy puddles or snow.. I do one at start summer too. i do keep gloves, hats at mine etc in case any turn up with out them gloves £1.50 2 pairs in asda at moment..

Mouse
19-10-2011, 10:25 AM

I agree with Pip! Some of us have difficulties getting a hat and wellies from parents, never mind specific boots!

Having said that, I think the type of setting you're planning to offer will appeal to certain parents, but not others. Many parents don't want their children outside in all weathers, so will simply chose not to use you. No matter how many times you explain the benefits, they just won't get it. The ones who do send their children to you are likely to be more to your way of thinking anyway, so will understand the need to appropriate equipment and will hopefully be willing to provide it.

I keep a supply of coats, hats, wellies & waterproofs etc here, so I can usually kit all the children out. That would be more difficult (and costly) if you want specific clothing.

AliceK
19-10-2011, 10:44 AM

:laughing: I agree. I've given up on asking for weather appropriate clothing and keep spares for both winter and summer here for the LO's just in case.
Good luck though :thumbsup:

xxxx

caz3007
19-10-2011, 11:05 AM
:laughing: I agree. I've given up on asking for weather appropriate clothing and keep spares for both winter and summer here for the LO's just in case.
Good luck though :thumbsup:

xxxx

Same here, I struggle to get a cardigan/jumper for my current LO, so picked up a boys one at a 2nd hand sale yesterday. Mum dresses her really girly, but couldnt get a girly one and its only to keep her warm whilst here. I dont have my heating on all day and we go outside too

Pipsqueak
19-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Same here, I struggle to get a cardigan/jumper for my current LO, so picked up a boys one at a 2nd hand sale yesterday. Mum dresses her really girly, but couldnt get a girly one and its only to keep her warm whilst here. I dont have my heating on all day and we go outside too

oh this is my bugbear... mum never gives the two sibs a cardy or jumper. I turn my heating down low during the day and we go outside.... etc

suzyjane73
19-10-2011, 11:39 AM
One lo turned up in his pyjamas with clothes in his bag. Mum forgot to put in any shoes or trousers but did pack 2 t shirts, so we were stuck in all day long!!

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Hmm... I woer if it would be worth going so far as to say that if they don't provide suitable clothing on numerous occasions I will have to terminate the contract? Obviously, like you say, certain parents will go for it more than others, so hopefully will cooperate more. But to make sure they do, do you think I could incorporate it into the contract?

Helen Dempster
19-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Funnily enough, my 2yo mindee arrived this morning with just a short sleeved t-shirt, no jumper, jacket - nothing! It was freeeeeeeeeeeezing!!!! Luckily I had one of his hooded tops here from the other day.

Mouse
19-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Hmm... I woer if it would be worth going so far as to say that if they don't provide suitable clothing on numerous occasions I will have to terminate the contract? Obviously, like you say, certain parents will go for it more than others, so hopefully will cooperate more. But to make sure they do, do you think I could incorporate it into the contract?

You'd need to check that out with your insurance company to see if it would be enforceable. It could be that parents couldn't afford the specified clothing, in which case it could be classed as discrimination.

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I agree with Pip! Some of us have difficulties getting a hat and wellies from parents, never mind specific boots!

Having said that, I think the type of setting you're planning to offer will appeal to certain parents, but not others. Many parents don't want their children outside in all weathers, so will simply chose not to use you. No matter how many times you explain the benefits, they just won't get it. The ones who do send their children to you are likely to be more to your way of thinking anyway, so will understand the need to appropriate equipment and will hopefully be willing to provide it.

I keep a supply of coats, hats, wellies & waterproofs etc here, so I can usually kit all the children out. That would be more difficult (and costly) if you want specific clothing.

Well, the only specific thing is waterproof boots that aren't Wellies.

I will keep a spare set of clothing for each child here anyway, regardless of what time of year as you know what kids are like re getting mucky and wet lol!

I know where you can get cheap but very functional boots and waterproofs from so it would be possible to provide these to the children at an extra one off charge I suppose (until they outgrow them obviously!)

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 12:08 PM
You'd need to check that out with your insurance company to see if it would be enforceable. It could be that parents couldn't afford the specified clothing, in which case it could be classed as discrimination.

Thank you will look that up closer to the time.
Wouldn't it also have to do with child protection / RA?
As in, if a child isn't dressed properly he risks getting I'll from being cold / wet and unsuitable shoes would risk injury too on slippery ground etc.?

Mouse
19-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, the only specific thing is waterproof boots that aren't Wellies.

I will keep a spare set of clothing for each child here anyway, regardless of what time of year as you know what kids are like re getting mucky and wet lol!

I know where you can get cheap but very functional boots and waterproofs from so it would be possible to provide these to the children at an extra one off charge I suppose (until they outgrow them obviously!)

That could be a good option for the boots.

mama2three
19-10-2011, 01:23 PM
we spend a large proportion of our time out in the forest - infact before childminding I helped set up a forest school with our local playgroup. Parents are aware of this when they choose me as a childminder - but in fact the parents are the same as parents everywhere and as they drop off in the car they forget just how many layers the los should really be wearing for our forest time. i regularly remind them - and have invested in some warm waterproofs to put on them myself rather than have inapproporiately dressed children ! Im afraid when it comes to footwear they mainly have wellies - I do suggest sturdy boots but Ive found I need to compromise too - and the kids manage fine in wellies tbh.
on the ncma contract the 3rd sheet has an area for what parent must provide - so in theory if you state the requirements on there and they dont provide them then they are breaking the terms of the contract so you can give notice.

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 01:44 PM
we spend a large proportion of our time out in the forest - infact before childminding I helped set up a forest school with our local playgroup. Parents are aware of this when they choose me as a childminder - but in fact the parents are the same as parents everywhere and as they drop off in the car they forget just how many layers the los should really be wearing for our forest time. i regularly remind them - and have invested in some warm waterproofs to put on them myself rather than have inapproporiately dressed children ! Im afraid when it comes to footwear they mainly have wellies - I do suggest sturdy boots but Ive found I need to compromise too - and the kids manage fine in wellies tbh.
on the ncma contract the 3rd sheet has an area for what parent must provide - so in theory if you state the requirements on there and they dont provide them then they are breaking the terms of the contract so you can give notice.

Thanks for that :)

tulip0803
19-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I am now collecting boots and complete waterproofs in every size that I can find as they rarely come with "appropriate" clothing for the school run let alone playing in the garden in all weathers. I am putting these acquisitions through my accounts as they belong to my childminding business and not the children. Parents understand that I have waterproof outfits and boots if they don't provide them so they cannot complain about 2nd hand stuff.

On the whole mine are good at bringing at least one set of spare clothes(some have 2 or 3) but it is the coats and boots that are the problem. Bucketing down with rain and freezing and mindee had crocs and a light jacket:rolleyes:

Narnia34
19-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I have the same drama here. I am in Germany, and last year we had temperatures of -20 and 2 foot deep snow, and a mindee turned up in a party style dress with pretty little sandals on, I kid you not!

I have a policy that children need to have snow suits/ snow jackets and salopettes and snow boots as soon as the weather turns here. If parents fail to provide adequate clothing, I ask them ever so nicely a couple of times, and then tell them that I am going to go and buy some and charge it back to them at cost.

However, as someone else pointed out, you may have parents who do not want you to take their children out in all weathers, so you need to be really clear that this is what you will be doing, just so you don't have parents getting upset with you when you do this!

I keep a good selection of jeans and jumpers, gloves, hats and mittens here, because parents do forget to bring them at times.

buzzy bee
19-10-2011, 04:14 PM
My son was in the garden today with bare feet and a tshirt and trousers, when I had my ugg boots, 2 layers AND my winter coat and was shivering...

He has never felt the cold (he's like his dad) and if he's stripping off his layers cos he's too hot to wear a coat then I don't think it's fair to force him to wear one!

So I know you might feel that it's too cold for a skirt and tights but just bear in mind that they may not feel the cold as much as you.

Aswell as the fact they're running around and getting warm so will feel warmer than you anyway.

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 05:21 PM
To a certain extent I can go with that as I have two kids who are warm blooded lol. But when it's cold like it has been today I don't let them go out without at least a very warm jumper and shoes on. Hat and gloves I can maybe let go but I always take it with me.

@narnia I thought that people in Germany had their heads screwd on a bit more than that... They are in Austria :/ lol

funemnx
19-10-2011, 05:49 PM
It's so difficult to get parents to understand that we will at the very least be walking to school and back regardless of the weather. I spoke to one parent recently, suggesting a waterproof raincoat (£5.00 in Tesco) as her son always wears just a hoody - no good in the rain. She came back with a showerproof in a bag. No good in proper rain, no good if it's freezing as only a T-shirt and hoody underneath, and no wellies, just converse, canvas sneakers (my pet hate as difficult to get on and off) :rolleyes:

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I like the idea of keeping an eye out at charity shops for boots and jackets actually! :)

Chimps Childminding
19-10-2011, 06:27 PM
June and I spent some of our funding money on sets of salopets and waterproof jackets so that the children can get out as much as possible (6 sets, 3 different sizes - just for the pre-schoolies) we also purchased 6 pairs of wellies also in 3 different sizes!

I think parents may be happy to buy wellies, but may not be happy at having to buy particular boots especially the way little ones feet grow :rolleyes: Guess you will just have to hope you get understanding parents :)

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Just had a look on eBay too and there's brand new boots from 10£.

Pipsqueak
19-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I like the idea of keeping an eye out at charity shops for boots and jackets actually! :)

hit the boot sales, nct nearly new sales, freecycle, preloved etc etc.... :)

uf353432
19-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I have over the years collected a selection of coats, hats, boots, jumpers etc. As great as my parents are they do sometimes forget to pack something, every child has their own crate here with change of clothes, nappies, swimming kit etc. but the weather is unpredicatble and a child comes in the morning dressed for summer and by the afternoon artic conditions have set in. I found it easier to continue with my day as planned but using something from my stash of kit. Even in the summer I went out and bought sunhats rather than having the same arguement.

I sometimes feel that the parents have enough on their plates, as a mum who used a childminder I had to check I had everything, the child had everything, then de ice the car, then remember x y or z paperwork or form, then remember I forgot to do a, and then battle through traffic, whilst feeling crap at leaving my kid in childcare and wondering if i'll get to work on time without the boss noticing I am late again. Sometimes my child not having a hat was not at the forefront of my mind and I was grateful that my childminder had a stash and my daghter enjoyed her day warmily, despite me. I want to be that childminder to my paretns

Chimps Childminding
19-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I have over the years collected a selection of coats, hats, boots, jumpers etc. As great as my parents are they do sometimes forget to pack something, every child has their own crate here with change of clothes, nappies, swimming kit etc. but the weather is unpredicatble and a child comes in the morning dressed for summer and by the afternoon artic conditions have set in. I found it easier to continue with my day as planned but using something from my stash of kit. Even in the summer I went out and bought sunhats rather than having the same arguement.

I sometimes feel that the parents have enough on their plates, as a mum who used a childminder I had to check I had everything, the child had everything, then de ice the car, then remember x y or z paperwork or form, then remember I forgot to do a, and then battle through traffic, whilst feeling crap at leaving my kid in childcare and wondering if i'll get to work on time without the boss noticing I am late again. Sometimes my child not having a hat was not at the forefront of my mind and I was grateful that my childminder had a stash and my daghter enjoyed her day warmily, despite me. I want to be that childminder to my paretns

Have to agree!!! most of my parents lovely as they are forget things sometimes. I usually say as long as they remember to bring the child I can usually work around anything else they have forgotten :D

Narnia34
19-10-2011, 08:22 PM
@narnia I thought that people in Germany had their heads screwd on a bit more than that... They are in Austria :/ lol

Germans are, there are Brits :ohdear:

buzzy bee
19-10-2011, 08:27 PM

That's lovely...

I also find it hard to complain about my parents forgetting to bring things because at least once a week I send a little one home without either their coat / dummy / socks / cardigan / etc etc etc!!

Ooops. :blush:

Chimps Childminding
19-10-2011, 08:31 PM
That's lovely...

I also find it hard to complain about my parents forgetting to bring things because at least once a week I send a little one home without either their coat / dummy / socks / cardigan / etc etc etc!!

Ooops. :blush:

Glad I'm not the only one!!! :eek:

uf353432
19-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I panicked one day because I could not fo rthe life of of me find a kids shoes, I searched high and low for 2 hours - these were not little shoes these were after school sized shoes. I finally found them behind the door in the kitchen, the childs little brother ahad posted them through the cat flap!!!

mushpea
19-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I dont keep spares of everything as I dont have the space and dont see why I should provide thing for children ,, when I send my children to school or on an outing or to my mums for the week then I pack the correct clothing and make sure they have hat coat and gloves or suncream,, it dosent take much to remember the stuff,, all my parent seem to remeber their own hats and coats and bags etc so why cant they do this for their children.
I have sent out a newsletter this week saying please provide correct winter clothing as I dont have spares, I also give children the choice,, if they dont want to wear their coat then fine but they carry it and a few steps down the road I stop and ask them again if they think its cold enough to wear their coat,, they also need to learn when to wear certain clothing and by constantly telling them to wear a coat they dont learn why they need to wear it but just put it on cause they are told too.

flora
20-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Mouse's comments about like minded parents using you is true Nature.

We live on a farm ,go out in all weathers and rain never stops play if it can be helped.

I have a stash of cheap and cheefull hats. coats and waterproofs so that I can be equipped. Wellies seem to suffice and fun is had by all :thumbsup: