PDA

View Full Version : Polish mindee - help please

ma7ie
14-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I've had a phone call from a Polish lady looking for care for her little boy aged 2yrs 9 month full time from 7.30am until 5.30pm.

I really could do with this and I don't want to mess it up but I have a couple of concerns.

Mum doesn't speak very good English. I struggled to make myself understood on the phone so just asked her to come round tomorrow night to see me. From what I could understand, she hasn't got anybody who can help her out if she doesn't understand me.

I'm concerned that if she doesn't speak English very well, I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that she won't be able to read it very well either.

How can she read through my policies, contracts, and all other paperwork (I've got tonnes) she needs to sign for. I know I can explain everything but I would feel uncomfortable that she might be signing for something she doesn't really understand.

She only lives a couple of streets away and I know she is desperate for someone to start straight away, but I don't want to take advantage either.

What would you do?

mrsb
14-05-2008, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine also has the same situation, she has been minding the lil boy successfully for a year now though. She bought a polish/english dictionary and points to words the parents don't understand so they can see what she is talking about.

You could always copy and paste your policies into a site like babelfish and they will translate it for you - not ideal long term but at least you can get the policies done, after that you can work towards helping with english etc?

Blaze
14-05-2008, 12:30 PM
A friend of mine also has the same situation, she has been minding the lil boy successfully for a year now though. She bought a polish/english dictionary and points to words the parents don't understand so they can see what she is talking about.

You could always copy and paste your policies into a site like babelfish and they will translate it for you - not ideal long term but at least you can get the policies done, after that you can work towards helping with english etc?

I was going to suggest the same...it's what i would do!:)

chubbymummy
14-05-2008, 12:31 PM
i would treat the family in the same way as i do other potential families.

when they show an interest in my setting i give them a copy of my policies so they can take their time to read through them.

i then arrange a meeting at my house (setting) to go through the policies and answer any questions they have.

i think in this case it would be a good idea to arrange the appointment at a time when there was no mindees around and allow extra time for disscussion.

i wish you well in this and keep us informed of what you do and how you go on, i can then have a better understanding if this happens in my setting.

chubbymummy
14-05-2008, 12:32 PM
just seen above replies

what a good idea

yummymummy
14-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Ma7ie, Or could you not ask the lady if she had a friend who spoke better English to come along when you go through all your policies to help you both out? I'm sure the lady will pick up English really quickly and things will get better and better as time goes on.
Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.:)
ps I think the translation into Polish is a fantastic idea and will score you brownie points with Ofsted!

ma7ie
14-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I've just been looking at a website that translates English into Polish (think it could take me a while!)

Thanks mrsb for the idea.

deeb66
14-05-2008, 12:38 PM
i would treat the family in the same way as i do other potential families.

when they show an interest in my setting i give them a copy of my policies so they can take their time to read through them.

i then arrange a meeting at my house (setting) to go through the policies and answer any questions they have.

i think in this case it would be a good idea to arrange the appointment at a time when there was no mindees around and allow extra time for disscussion.

i wish you well in this and keep us informed of what you do and how you go on, i can then have a better understanding if this happens in my setting.

I would do much the same.

If I really thought that she was struggling to understand them then I might suggest that she takes them away with her and perhaps gets a friend to help her read and understand them.

I don't know about where you are Marie but I do know that in my area we have a huge polish community and they all tend to stick together and help each other out with these sorts of things.

She really does need to understand what your policies are and what is expected of her otherwise I can see there being crossed wires or a situation later on!

ma7ie
14-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't know about where you are Marie but I do know that in my area we have a huge polish community and they all tend to stick together and help each other out with these sorts of things.

She really does need to understand what your policies are and what is expected of her otherwise I can see there being crossed wires or a situation later on!

This is what I'm worried about. There isn't a very big Polish community round here and from what I can understand, she hasn't got anybody else that can speak much better English that she can. Don't get me wrong, she can make herself understood and I can make myself understood up to a point but I'm having to speak in a simplified way and my policies and other paperwork are very extensive.

I want to be doing things the right way so there is no comeback in the future and also to treat her equally.

The translation things is great in theory but I've got a huge amount of stuff that would need to be translated.

deeb66
14-05-2008, 12:52 PM
The translation things is great in theory but I've got a huge amount of stuff that would need to be translated.

That is what I thought when I saw it.

I would be pulling my hair out if I had to translate all my documents too!

I think the only thing you can do is to sit down with her and go through it very slowly and try to get her to understand.

I also think the idea of having an English/Polish dictionary might be a good idea as it will help and if you do take the child on then you will probably make good use of it anyway!

mrsb
14-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Do you have a surestart childrens centre near you? Ours is really helpful with this sort of thing as they are very much into cultural equality etc, maybe they could help find a polish translator for you? Might be worth calling them to see :)

SimplyLucy
14-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Are you a member of the NCMA?

If you are, give them a ring and ask their advice, you never know they may already have copies of some documents already translated....

ma7ie
14-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Do you have a surestart childrens centre near you? Ours is really helpful with this sort of thing as they are very much into cultural equality etc, maybe they could help find a polish translator for you? Might be worth calling them to see :)

She got my number through my network co-ordinator who is based at the local Surestart centre and unfortunately they don't have a translator. Just looked at someone in my area that translates for a living and they charge £20 per hour :eek:

Think I will see how I get on tomorrow night and take it from there.

elaineg
14-05-2008, 01:33 PM
My ex husband's father was Polish and when he first came to this country he used to take all his documentation into the local council offices and they translated them for him, yours may help this lady out.

My kids are half Polish and can only speak about ten words between them. lol

love Elaine XXX

littlesprogs
14-05-2008, 01:43 PM
When i lived in Elgin we made friends with 2 sets of neighbours one were english and the other Polish. They had never been to England before and could hardly understand anything we said and vice versa. We made friends during a barbecue we were doing with the english neighbours and just decided to knock on their door and invite them. The man did speak more english than the woman but not much and as we taught them english they taught us polish by using a polish/english dictionary. It is a very easy language to learn if you give it time and although your meeting may take longer than normal i'm sure you'll get through it fine.

Could you not find a site that will translate your policies for you just by copying and pasting it in?
I find that the polish are very willing to learn and adapt to our way of living very quickly.

Good luck with it x

ma7ie
14-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Told hubby he will have to take dd out at 6pm tomorrow when lady comes to give us chance to muddle through the best we can - she might not even choose me yet.

I don't usually do it but I think I will give her a copy of my policies as well as a porfolio to take away with her for her to digest at home so she's not under any pressure to try and read it all here.

sarah707
14-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Can you make a short version of your policies and procedures - 3 or 4 main comments from each?

This will be easier to digest and to translate :D

angeldelight
14-05-2008, 03:17 PM
To be honest I do agree with what everyones said but .............

I know someone who is polish and they are terrible when chatting on the phone but they understand English really well and can read it

If she managed to call you on her own ( although you found it difficult ) then she obviously has some understanding of our language

Maybe you should see first when you meet her - then if there are problems face it then and then try and find some sort of help or advice when you know more - you can always arrange another meeting to get it right

You never know she might even bring someone with her who does understand if she does not ?

My hubby works with heaps of Polish people and he said a lot of them do speak very broken English but they do understand

So you might be worrying for nothing here

Good luck anyway

Angel xxx