PDA

View Full Version : Travel

mumto2
18-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked/discussed before, but I haven't really got time to go searching through all the posts (mindee due to be waking up soon, so just popping on quickly!!)I am not insured to take mindee out in car - my question is, am I allowed/is it ok for me to go in other peoples (friends) cars (even if they're not cm) to go places (and what about other childminders cars, is that ok to travel with them?) and what about public transport? (I have got mum to sign all relevant paperwork/permission slips etc) I also have a friend who is a foster carer, is it ok for me to travel in her car with mindee as well?
Sorry to ramble on, I just want to make sure I do it all right!! (am starting to think it may be worth me getting insured on our car!)
Thanks all xxxx

Flisspaps
18-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Public transport is fine as they HAVE to be insured to take passengers.

Other people's private cars are NOT OK to use without them having business insurance. We checked this out with Ofsted recently as I wondered if DH could take me and the children out in his car without Business insurance as the car is his, and the childminding business is mine. I know that other CMs on here have used their partners to transport them around in their private cars without business use on the insurance, but Ofsted say this is not allowed.

To quote Ofsted's response when I asked them this:

In response to your enquiry, any children being transported whilst being cared for by yourself would be classed as business use regardless of who actually owns the business. This would require the insurance of the vehicle and driver to reflect this use.

So if your friends don't have business use on their car insurance, you and the children will NOT be covered by insurance. Other CM should have business use on their insurance and so you will be covered to travel with them.

AgentTink
18-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I would recommend looking into getting personal business use put on your own car, because with our insurance company Aviva it didnt cost us anything more to add it on, and we still had 11 months our insurance left to run for the year.

littlecheeks
18-10-2011, 01:28 PM
out of interest can you not just get your own business use on your own car?

Flisspaps
18-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Littlecheeks - I would say if you can drive, then absolutely it would be the easiest course of action (I however do not drive, and therefore cannot get my own insurance :D)

I assume from the OP that she does drive though.

JCrakers
18-10-2011, 02:22 PM
As I understand it...I'm insured for hubbies car but because its a company car, his company wont insure me to use it for business so i dont use the car for work at all.

As far as I know if needed he could drive it while we are in it as he's insured business. But we dont anyway as I just dont use the car for work