PDA

View Full Version : Childminding without LA support

peekaboolou
18-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Has anyone out there become a childminder without LA support. Really struggling because to get their support I have to attend a 4 week course which is fully booked til March and I was hoping to get started by Feb/March. Really frustrated. Just wondering if its possible?

Lou x

Becci26
18-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't actually think you are allowed to apply to Ofsted until you have attended the briefing sessions unfortunately. I could be wrong though, hopefully someone more in the know will come along soon.

It is frustrating how long it all takes though isn't it! x

sonyach
18-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi, what a nightmare i have had with my la. First i phoned the la i pay my council tax to and they said your on the boarder try the other la. So phoned them went on pre-reg briefing they signed me up for course then 2 days before it was due to start they phoned and said actually your on the boarder you can't come to our course go back to the other la. So i phoned original la and they said sorry but were under restructuring and are not providing any courses at the moment and don't know when we will!. Great:( I have been a childminder minder in the past so i went for it, applied to ofsted at the end of July and was registered at beginning of October:) I have 6 months now to do the course and my la should be sorted soon. I would phone Ofsted and see what they advise, they have been very helpful. Good luck don't give up:thumbsup:

Flisspaps
18-10-2011, 10:17 AM
It used to be that you had to attend the LA pre-reg course to get the forms, but I know I've seen others post recently to say that they applied direct to Ofsted and didn't do anything via the LA.

Our LA doesn't do an ICP or CYPOP or any other course - we do three basic sessions on the EYFS (not particularly helpful, to my mind) but apparently that along with a Safeguarding session covers the legal requirements, whereas the other courses offered go above and beyond that.

Call Ofsted and see if they will accept a direct application from you, you've nothing to lose. Otherwise call the LA across the border and explain your circumstances now you know that only one of the two councils is offering briefing sessions.

Pandypops
18-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi - I did it without my LA. They said they weren't funding anymore pre-briefing courses so I called Ofsted for an application form and did it directly. The only thing I have to do is complete the CYPOP5 within 6 months of registration.

I booked my self onto a 1st Aid course, paid the Ofsted fees, did Safeguarding online and Food Hygiene online, bought the EYFS pack off the internet and researched lots so I knew what was expected of me. My pre-reg visit went fine and I was up and running within 3 months of sending the application form.

Since being registered I am in contact with my local childminding development officer and I am doing the Level 3 Diploma in Children and Young Person's Workforce. I have all my paperwork and system of doing things and am awaiting my first graded inspection, hopefully it will go well and it wont matter that I didn't attend the briefing sessions in the beginning........

mummyMia
18-10-2011, 12:19 PM
I did much the same as Pandypops. My LA had me on a waiting list for 6 months. Eventually they admitted that they cannot legally prevent people from registering as childminders as childminders are self employed. So I booked and payed for my own courses and applied to Ofsted online. When my inspector came for the pre-reg visit I did tell her that i hadn't been to a briefing session but she said it didn't matter and it is not a requirement. Once my Ofsted registration came through I got in touch with the LA to let them know that I am registered and they put me down on the FIS list. Now the LA treat me just the same as all the other childminders and I can access the same free training as them.

Good luck!