PDA

View Full Version : Medicine?

hoochi
14-05-2008, 10:00 AM
im under the impression we cannot give prescription medicine evn with parents permission is this correct also what baout over the counter medicines such as calpol can we administer that with permission or not

sarah707
14-05-2008, 10:31 AM
We need permission from parents to give prescription medicine... signed before we give and signed to show we've given. It's storage also needs to be risk assessed.

Non-prescribed as things stand we cannot give, but we will know more when the eyfs guidelines are re-printed as this is one of the areas we are hoping they will revise. :D

Eagles4ever
14-05-2008, 11:14 AM
So can we not give stuff like Calpol even if we have parental permission?

Blaze
14-05-2008, 11:27 AM
At the moment we can give non-prescribed with parental consent, but not under EYFS in September...unless they revise it...which we are waiting on!:rolleyes:

sarah707
14-05-2008, 11:29 AM
As things stand at the moment the new eyfs regulations state -

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/2.htm

Providers should ensure that they have sufficient information about the medical condition of any child with long-term medical needs.

Providers should ask parents about the medicines that their child needs to take and provide details of any changes to the prescription or the support required. If the administration of prescription medicines requires technical/medical knowledge then individual training should be provided for staff from a qualified health professional. Training should be specific to the individual child concerned.

Medicines should only be taken to a setting when this is essential and settings should only accept medicines that have been prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist.

Not a lot of room to do much there really... as I say it would be helpful if the updates that are due out for eyfs relaxes this slightly. :D

berkschick
14-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Medicines should only be taken to a setting when this is essential and settings should only accept medicines that have been prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist.

So we could get away with Calpol, teething gel, etc by saying a Pharmacist has prescribed it? As that is often the case anyway!

sarah707
14-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Not sure - it does look that way but I do not want to decide anything until we get clarification from Ofsted... too risky a subject to get wrong :eek:

lesley
14-05-2008, 01:08 PM
What one of my parents has done was ask the GP for carpol and he asked was he at a nursery and she no a childminder and he said yes thats fine. So I just keep the bottle here.

Lesley

flora
14-05-2008, 01:43 PM
So we could get away with Calpol, teething gel, etc by saying a Pharmacist has prescribed it? As that is often the case anyway!

I would interpret this as we can. I have been to the pharmacist several times and bought stuff as a result, no labels on the stuff like at the doc's though is there???

Like you say, they should mkae this clearer :mad: