PDA

View Full Version : 6 months?!

lorraine04
17-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Here's a random question for you.

My better half and i have been toying around with the idea of having a child for a while now.
He turned around to me and said..he was told that if childminders have a baby that they cannot mind for the first 6 months. I've told him that it's rubbish but he doesn't believe me. He is worried about losing income for 6 months lol.
Is there any element of truth in this??

buzzy bee
17-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Call Ofsted for confirmation but I'm pretty certain that he is completely wrong!!

The Juggler
17-10-2011, 09:15 PM
as short as you want off. my cm took 2 weeks (years ago):panic: :panic: however, you will lose an under 5 space so it will affect your income that way:(

buzzy bee
17-10-2011, 09:22 PM
something else to mention... when my son was under 1, Ofsted gave me a variation so that I could still look after another under 1 - so that's worth asking about too (if you need it).

Chatterbox Childcare
17-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Not that I know of but if you are working you won't get maternity leave

mrs_scottydog
17-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I think legally the shortest amount of time you can take off work is 2 weeks. Other than those 2 weeks it's up to you how long you take off. I've decided to take a year off (may be longer) but then financially we're ok on just one wage. You have to do what works best for you. Hx

miffy
18-10-2011, 06:49 AM
There's no official rule from Ofsted but you will lose an under 5 space as your baby will be counted in your numbers.

Miffy xx

Flisspaps
18-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I think legally the shortest amount of time you can take off work is 2 weeks.

This is only if you are employed by someone else. As a childminder, you are self employed and therefore can return to work the same day if you want to.

Whoever your husband spoke to is talking out of their hat. You'll need to inform Ofsted when you have a child so they can amend your certificate showing a reduction in the number of children you can mind, but that is all.

moogster1a
18-10-2011, 02:05 PM
You need to take 2 weeks off after the birth. Both times I've worked till the day I went into labour. You get maternity pay which includes 10 days keeping in touch days. If you only take 2 weeks off, you lose very little.
If you are already looking after under 5's it is very very likely will would get a variation under the continuity of care so you wouldn't need to lose any mindees.
Childminding can be one of the very few jobs where if you're lucky, having a baby costs nothing in terms of loss of income!!
Might try and persuade DH we should have another...!

lorraine04
18-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Thankyou for your replies.
I didn't think this was true but thought i'd get some advice to make sure. Can i ask about the maternity pay moogster1a, How does that work?. Who pays that?
Hope this wasn't a stupid question lol :o

zippy
18-10-2011, 08:16 PM
It's rubbish, however if you do fancy some time off you are entitled to maternity allowance at the rate of about 112 a week for 9 months even though you are self employed I was gobsmacked when I got it lol

moogster1a
19-10-2011, 06:43 AM
You get the maternity pay through your local job centre. Give them a ring and they'll point you in the right direction for info. and send you forms etc.

mrs_scottydog
19-10-2011, 08:26 AM
You get the maternity pay through your local job centre. Give them a ring and they'll point you in the right direction for info. and send you forms etc.

I've just done this, it was easier than I thought it would be. As long as you pay NI all you have to do is fill in the form and send it back to them. The difficult bit was actually getting though to the Job Centre in the first place, they were always engaged. Hx

kindredspirits
19-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm having a baby in December - I will be working up to the time I start labour and then taking 2 weeks off before I get my mindees back. Can't afford to take off any longer but then I am at home with my baby anyway so its not so bad.
I had a woman round the other day who has 8 children aged 17-4 months - i can't imagine she took 9 months off caring for her other 7 children when she gave birth to the 8th!! :laughing:

Maternity Allowance is really easy to sort out if you have paid your NI contributions up to date - you can download the form online and send it in too!!

mummyMia
19-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't know how you all do it! When dd was born I really struggled because I was soooo tired all the time. She slept really badly at night and I couldn't nap during the day because ds was too little to be left alone. I turned into a bit of a raving lunatic for the first three months and was shouting and snapping at everyone due to sleep deprivation! There is no way I could have managed any mindees during that time:( You ladies must be some sort of superwomen going back to work after 2 weeks!