PDA

View Full Version : Childminding with few toys?

Nature'sKids!
17-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Looking around everyone seems to have LOTS of toys! Is anyone cm with just a few toys?
I mean I can list everything we've got quite easily. A lot of these things are very open ended though and are interesting for babies toddlers and school kids.
My toys:
Lego and mega blocks for babies
Train set
Cloths (silk, velvet, cotton, net,... For dressing up, eurythmics, den building etc)
Dressing up clothes
Board games from 18mnth to 9 years+
Puzzles / jigsaws from 18mnth to 9 years+
Wooden building blocks
Tree blocks with bark
Oat Sumer castle+ figures
Ostheimer ark + animals
Matchbox cars, garage and carpet
Large wooden construction vehicles
Dolls house
Safari jungle lodge + jeep
Pram, crib, doll sling
Kitchen set (with all the accessories)
Construction toys like octagon, Kapla planks, wooden meccano
I suppose I could count the ps2
Baby toys like rattles, soft balls, soft skittles, chime ball, playmat, discovery dome, stacking toys
Music / percussion instruments (LOTS)
For Xmas ds is getting a marble run.
Obviously there's outdoor toys too but that is essentially it, aside from arts and crafts and books.

Is there anything I should definitely add? Bearing in mind that I like to avoid plastic and battery operated toys.

xgemx
17-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi i think you have a great selection of toys, i have similar and have some multicultural toys and different figures that represent positive role models and figures of different ages with different disabilities

Cammie Doodle
17-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Personally I think we have too much, I look back at some old childminding / fostering photos and think how much nicer my setting looked then than now. There was no posters, labelled boxes, folder etc etc . It was just my home where children came to be looked after. I still see these children many years on and they say how much fun it was at my home, so I must of been doing something right .

uf353432
17-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I have loads of resources - but like you like them to be open ended in the main. I tend now to build on specific area's when building on my resources - so for example - sensory - I look out for things that go in my screw lid plastic jars as sensory shakers. Things that go in my treasure baskets, things that light up , glow in the dark, baskets and compartmetalised wooden dishes for sorting etc. I look for resources that have a scienfic edge or mathes edge so I can bring those skills in through normal play. I buy ingrediants for messy play. I look out for foreign stuff for home corner. I think you have a reasonable amount of stuff already - and you can build upon it over time as and when your needs change. Ive just bought a magnets kits - to explore magnetism and a microscope - which I am dead excited about playing with - I mean letting the kids play with lol!

RainbowMum
17-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I have spent the last few months wheedling out the plastic, however I do have a selection of old camera's and mobile phones, calculators etc for ICT as well as an old keyboard which the lo's use for office role play.

Nature'sKids!
17-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Personally I think we have too much, I look back at some old childminding / fostering photos and think how much nicer my setting looked then than now. There was no posters, labelled boxes, folder etc etc . It was just my home where children came to be looked after. I still see these children many years on and they say how much fun it was at my home, so I must of been doing something right .

Yes, I sometimes think how childminding is supposed to be an extension of the home. The appeal in childminding lies in the fact that children still live their lives in a family environment, not an institutional, age segregated setting like a nursery.
And what is important in a home? It's not really toys is it? It's a. Homely feeling.

I was thinking to myself how many settings have posters etc on the Walls and tbh... I don't like them. :/
I do like displays of artwork etc but not all over the place because to me it kind of loses the home from home setting childminding is supposed to offer!
Or am I wrong? Well it's how I feel anyway.

Wrt multicultural dolls- I have a doll I used in Austria in a kindergarten once. She's a normal doll with short brown curly hair. I made a dress for her resembling native American Indians clothes. I will be doing the same with other cultures too (ie making clothes and having dolls to visit when discussing a certain culture) :)

Nature'sKids!
17-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I have spent the last few months wheedling out the plastic, however I do have a selection of old camera's and mobile phones, calculators etc for ICT as well as an old keyboard which the lo's use for office role play.

Yes we've got old phones too and I found an old keyboard today which is wireless and was almost going going gone but might keep it now! Brilliant idea :)

Nature'sKids!
17-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm looking forward to expanding my sensory stuff. Going to nag ... I mean ask lol husband to make a lightbox! :)

snufflepuff
17-10-2011, 07:16 PM
We have LOADS of toys. Far too many. And actually the children always tend to go for the same things, which hold their attention for hours! Out of everything the things they play with most are the cars and car mat, plastic animals, musical instruments, paper and crayons/ stickers, plastic food and crockery, and books. I could easily manage with only these things!

PixiePetal
17-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I have similar stuff to you - with more plastic I guess :)

I do have a big collection of fisher price people/cars/station/zoo etc. got this all second hand as DS wanted to pack away all his wooden road and rail sets for when he has his own family (he is only 14 but didn't want it trashed and thought ahead!) It is all in a wooden toy box which my DD had when she was little.

My playmobil is in the loft in plastic drawer storage - don't have it out as my 2 will be keeping that to split and pass on too. It does come down when older ex mindees come in holidays for odd days. My mindees are under 3's.

I have a wish list but mostly would like to add to my light up toys in a sensory box and instruments. Oh and a nice rug and some cushions for my futon in the playroom :thumbsup:

I don't have loads of posters up, the playroom is small but cosy and compared to some I have seen on the forum photos very plain but we use the space well and as my kids are older and it is also a spare bedroom I don't want it too nursery like.

uf353432
17-10-2011, 07:29 PM
oooh I have a lightbox - its excellant!!! I just ordered some water beads and different coloured transparencies so that we can do some colour/sensory play with it. We've been having fun with laminated leaves this week! its a great resource - but you can do it cheaply with a shallow plastic box with a lid and some LED fairy lights .

PixiePetal
17-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm looking forward to expanding my sensory stuff. Going to nag ... I mean ask lol husband to make a lightbox! :)

I am going to put clear fairy lights in a clear plastic underbed box - read about it on someones blog that someone else posted on the forum. got some lights last year - ones that twinkle or are static. Should look nice and the baby can bash about on the box without any damage :thumbsup:

xgemx
17-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I am going to put clear fairy lights in a clear plastic underbed box - read about it on someones blog that someone else posted on the forum. got some lights last year - ones that twinkle or are static. Should look nice and the baby can bash about on the box without any damage :thumbsup:

Love this idea

Nature'sKids!
17-10-2011, 07:38 PM

That's a fab idea!

miffy
17-10-2011, 07:41 PM

I have wanted a light box for ages but this sounds a lovely, safe alternative - thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

marnieb
18-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Looking around everyone seems to have LOTS of toys! Is anyone cm with just a few toys?
I mean I can list everything we've got quite easily. A lot of these things are very open ended though and are interesting for babies toddlers and school kids.
My toys:
Lego and mega blocks for babies
Train set
Cloths (silk, velvet, cotton, net,... For dressing up, eurythmics, den building etc)
Dressing up clothes
Board games from 18mnth to 9 years+
Puzzles / jigsaws from 18mnth to 9 years+
Wooden building blocks
Tree blocks with bark
Oat Sumer castle+ figures
Ostheimer ark + animals
Matchbox cars, garage and carpet
Large wooden construction vehicles
Dolls house
Safari jungle lodge + jeep
Pram, crib, doll sling
Kitchen set (with all the accessories)
Construction toys like octagon, Kapla planks, wooden meccano
I suppose I could count the ps2
Baby toys like rattles, soft balls, soft skittles, chime ball, playmat, discovery dome, stacking toys
Music / percussion instruments (LOTS)
For Xmas ds is getting a marble run.
Obviously there's outdoor toys too but that is essentially it, aside from arts and crafts and books.

Is there anything I should definitely add? Bearing in mind that I like to avoid plastic and battery operated toys.

I have MUCH less toys than you!!!!

I never worry about it - I have one basket out all the time which has a variety of toddler toys. We are out almost every morning though, then home for lunch & naps, then we do the school run. So the only time they really need to play is between 3.15 to 4.30 and at the moment their fav is the garage, cars and trains.

PixiePetal
18-10-2011, 06:50 AM
I have wanted a light box for ages but this sounds a lovely, safe alternative - thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

cheap too!!

Nature'sKids!
18-10-2011, 06:59 AM
I have MUCH less toys than you!!!!

I never worry about it - I have one basket out all the time which has a variety of toddler toys. We are out almost every morning though, then home for lunch & naps, then we do the school run. So the only time they really need to play is between 3.15 to 4.30 and at the moment their fav is the garage, cars and trains.

:D

Yes, we are out a lot too!

Beccles26
19-10-2011, 12:20 PM
wow i think i need to buy more toys if thats everything you have!!!!!!!!

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Lol it sounds a lot more listed!

Wendybird
19-10-2011, 02:38 PM

I have done this and a word of warning - tape the edges closed before they figure out that there are fairy lights in there! Honestly, DS only wants to open the box and play with the lights. Ok for him, but not really H&S for the mindees! I'm investing in a proper once I get a bit fuller and can justify the cost.

Natternic
19-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Silly question alert, what is the purpose of a light box? Is it a sensory thing, and if you make your own like suggested above how do you keep the lights on with the lid closed. Do you drill a hole or something
Confused.com

tulip0803
19-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Your resources sound good.

I do not have a playroom full of toys - my main minding room is my dining room. I have a shelf unit of books, stereo for music, wood and fabric box shelving with various stuff like instruments, puppets, small world people, wooden food, cars, bags, cameras, mobile phones, purses, a box of dressing-up things (lot of proper clothes) shelf with puzzles & board games, box of baby toys, arts and crafts chest, dolls house, brio trains and a teepee hiding behind the sofa and a tent and den making stuff in chest under table:D

My toy kitchen is in the garden cos I haven't got room indoors. Lots of mud pie makeing:D

snuffy123lulu
19-10-2011, 04:19 PM
I've built up a large selection over ten years, lots donated by parents and friends. Lots of games for the after schoolers, the old ones are the best downfall, kerplunk etc. Lots of other stuff rotated and brought out to keeo things fresh. Have no problem with plastic, the kids don't care and investigate anything thats around. Favourites are dolls house and small world, jigsaws and making dens :)

Mouse
19-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I have shed's full of toys and resources...literally! 2 big sheds as well as all the things indoors.

At the moment I have out:

a basket of soft baby toys & rattles
a basket of playfood
a basket of Mr Potato Head toys
a basket of wooden trains & cars
a basket of small wooden things (animals, shapes, animal skittles)
wooden rainbow blocks
wooden abacus
wooden scales
wooden stacking toys
2 happyland houses, a digger, a car and a space rocket
a basket of happland people
a basket of finger puppets
1 big & 4 small bead frames
wooden work bench & tools
wooden cooker, teaset & pots & pans
basket of electronic toys (v-tech, calculators)
wooden noah's ark
wooden click-clack car track
box of miscellaneous toys
box of cars
box of animals
basket of beanbags
jigsaws
big box of musical instruments
box of building blocks
duplo
wooden threading beads
wooden cotton reels
dressing up clothes
dolls with clothes & cloth nappies
magnets, binoculars & magnifying glasses
treasure basket
a selection art & craft resources
an easel
an mega sketcher

It might seem like a lot, but the way it's all set out & stored is in such a way that it isn't over powering & doesn't seem a huge amount. I used to have out probably double that amount, but found the children had too much choice & didn't play with it well. Now, they play really well, with much better levels of concentration. I love the fact that I have so many different things to choose from. If a child is showing a particular interest, I'm pretty certain to have something to enhance their play!

PixiePetal
19-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Silly question alert, what is the purpose of a light box? Is it a sensory thing, and if you make your own like suggested above how do you keep the lights on with the lid closed. Do you drill a hole or something
Confused.com

battery lights :thumbsup:

Nature'sKids!
19-10-2011, 05:58 PM
battery lights :thumbsup:

Drill a hole :P

uf353432
19-10-2011, 08:24 PM
some of the things I do with my light box:

sand painting (sand in a tray on top of lightbox covers surface, children use fingers to draw in the sand to let light through) have done this with rice, glitter, lentils, pulses and pasta and a mixture of all.

Water beads - polymer water beads in colour or transparent using coloured films to explore colour (best done in a shallow transparent box)

colour mixing - using colour transparency film, or coloured water (over acrylic tray)

shapes (coloured acyrlic) to make pictures whilst learning about colour and shapes

Agates (very pretty) gem stones and leaves (lamintae mine to keep them together)

Jelly shapes

silouhettes

we've also explore negative slides from when I used to work in film as a photographer.

thats just a few idea's - it is sensory children generally are quite interested in it and its quite a nice way to introduce some scientific and math elements of learning .