PDA

View Full Version : Data protection malarky. ,

jadavi
17-10-2011, 04:32 PM
What the hell does the information commissioner do with all our £35 ses? It's a right rip off as far as I can see. What a crazy form too! What is going on! Please explain someone!!!

moogster1a
17-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't know but I had my ispection last week and she never asked for it so I've got away with it for at least another 3 years until next inspection! Doubt I'll bother then either. Just a money making exercise

JCrakers
17-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Whats this? SOmething else I dont know about

Explain please :panic:

sarah707
17-10-2011, 05:52 PM
If you keep information on a computer or take photos using digital media (phone, camera etc) then you are required to register as a data controller.

You register with the Information Commissioners Office - www.ico.gov.uk.

It costs £35 a year.

The form is complicated it's best to ring them and ask them to send what you need to complete.

Hth :D

moogster1a
17-10-2011, 06:35 PM
it's best to pretend you know nothing about it!

rickysmiths
17-10-2011, 06:37 PM
it's best to pretend you know nothing about it!

Until something goes wrong. :rolleyes:

wendywu
17-10-2011, 09:10 PM
[
QUOTE=rickysmiths;997670]Until something goes wrong. :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

What with your camera or phone :laughing:

Dragonfly
18-10-2011, 06:32 AM
I thought it was just for your computer, not taking photos and processing at boots, thats what they told me.

miffy
18-10-2011, 06:37 AM
I thought it was just for your computer, not taking photos and processing at boots, thats what they told me.

Who told you?

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
18-10-2011, 06:38 AM

I use my camera and print on a canon selphy little printer at home - not on PC and I still was told I had to when I phoned - even though the bloke said it was daft:rolleyes:

manjay
18-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Registering with the ICO is a legal requirement under the Data Protection Act for all businesses who process personal information unless they are exempt.

Personally it is one of those things I could do without paying but as a professional I see it as necessary to comply with the law.

NCMA provide a comprehensive factsheet for further information.

Playmate
18-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Registering with the ICO is a legal requirement under the Data Protection Act for all businesses who process personal information unless they are exempt.

Personally it is one of those things I could do without paying but as a professional I see it as necessary to comply with the law.

Well said Manjay

I ave never used my public liability insurance, put I would never dream of not paying it :panic:

JCrakers
18-10-2011, 08:08 AM
So the pictures I keep on my Laptop for Ofsted, (to show evidence) I have to pay for having them..... Makes sense to me....:rolleyes:

If I take them off and put them on a disc do I still have to pay? I dont keep them on my camers cos I delete them when I transfer them. Plus the kids arnt even named so If someone was to take my laptop what data would they get?

What do they do with the £35, does it protect the families I work for. Do they get compensation for their details getting into the wrong hands?

moogster1a
18-10-2011, 08:09 AM
But public liability insurance has a use. ICO doesn't!

candy cat
18-10-2011, 08:15 AM
it is not just storing photos its any information you old ie childrens/parents addresses, personal details......pain in backside,but law unfortunately:(

JCrakers
18-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Ok..Ive read the NCMA fact sheet and it says

•If you keep all your childminding records on paper, you do not need to notify the ICO.
•If you keep information about the names, ages and addresses of children and their parents, details of payments, or any data for staff administration on a computer, purely for accounts and records purposes, you are also exempt
from notification.
•But if you keep more extensive records, or information of a more sensitive
nature, for example about children's health, behaviour or development, on a
computer then you need to contact the ICO to find out if you need to notify.
•Also, if you are going to be taking digital photographs of the children in your
care, you will be expected to register with the ICO.

So looking at this if I get rid of the photos on the laptop, I wont need to pay as I keep everything else on paper. The only info I have are invoices which seem to be exempt if they are for accounts purposes.
But it says If Im taking photos which really infuriates me as Im basically having to pay £35 to do EYFS....:angry: as I use them for observations and learning journeys

This really gets my back up...something else to shell out for thats just a waste of time.....
Rant over....:D
Becky

Cammie Doodle
18-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by manjay

Well said Manjay

I ave never used my public liability insurance, put I would never dream of not paying it

Well said Girls
It is a requirement and HAS to be done .
Its like Road Tax, you see nothing for it, but you have to pay it to keep on the right side of the law.

moogster1a
18-10-2011, 08:50 AM
You do see something out of your road tax. Upkeep of the road. Again, I can't see what ICO actually does with our money. In fact that's a lie, I asked them when I 'phoned ages ago and they said it went on administration. So, if they didn't exist, there would be no administration therefore no fee.

catminder
18-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I use a non-digital polaroid camera, bought it cheap in ebay and can also get cheaper instant film on there as well. I spoke to ICO and was told I didn't need to register with them as my camera wasn't digital. It's the only way to avoid having to register with ICO and still be able to take photos.

Pipsqueak
18-10-2011, 09:22 AM
The ICO is a complete and utter waste of time and our cash. It does nothing to 'protect' anyone and from what I can see we get nothing (well I haven't) to advise and protect.

What it needs is ALL of us kicking up a stink about this - its £35 (admin) for nothing... I know its been said that we'd all love to be able to charge an 'admin' fee - heaven knows how much 'admin' I do each year - more than £35 I know.

Its rubbish and tosh and its needs to be argued and questioned more - personally I keep twisting about it to NCMA but I suppose if I am a loan voice I will get no-where. whilst I agree its something that we have to have - at the moment.... but people power can get thing reversed... especially poopy things like this!

manjay
18-10-2011, 11:41 AM
but why should we be treated differently to any other small business? My dh is self employed and he has to register as he keeps client information on his pc!

On the flip side as a member of the public I welcome an agency that enforces the Data Prtocetion Act and so protects my own personal details from being available to all and sundry. I admit that they probably don't always get it right like most other agencies but there is process in place to prosecute people who don't follow the procedures of handling data.

As someone said you can get around it by being paper based in your business and by not using digital cameras.

Just my thoughts, as always;)

Flisspaps
18-10-2011, 11:53 AM
but why should we be treated differently to any other small business? My dh is self employed and he has to register as he keeps client information on his pc!

I agree. We run businesses, and therefore are treated as such.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether or not you think you see a return for your money, it is a legal requirement that if you have digital information about your clients (even briefly on a digital camera before you print it off, and delete it) then you have to register.

You can't pick and choose which bits of the law you comply with, if you think it's pointless then you of course can say so, but it doesn't mean you can choose not to comply, not pay the fee and then pretend you didn't know you had to register.

JCrakers
18-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I just get cross with all the outgoings...theres always something else added to the list.

We seem to get all the crap that comes with being Self Employed but not the recogition.
I talk to parents who think we are just babysitters. Half the parents dont even realise that we work to EYFS guidelines and all the other stuff we have to do. They just think we are there to have the kids.
I speak to the chap who services my boiler who quoted 'when you get a proper job' :eek: 'Yeah right...he nearly had a frying pan round his head
It's just some other outgoing to take out of my low wages...plus I dont choose to take the pictures, I take them because I have to show Ofsted evidence.

jadavi
29-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I think its reasonable to ask what is done with our money and no one seems to have come up with an answer.?