PDA

View Full Version : You never know when you are being watched

AliceK
17-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Just had a parent approach me at nursery asking if I had space for her 2 little boys. She's not long lived in the area and has been watching childminders at school before she approaches them. She said most of who she's seen she wouldn't want to put her children with. TBH when I was a parent I used to do the same and I know exactly what she means. Shame I haven't got any space but I have recommended her to a childminder who lives opposite me who is lovely. Just goes to show, we never know who's watching us. We are always on show aren't we.
xxxx

Becci26
17-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Crikey!

I was saying to a friend the other day that I will always have to be 'on duty' even when not working. We live in a small village, so there will be no chance to have a 'bad day'! That is the one downside to being a childminder I guess

JCrakers
17-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes we are always on duty and always have to be on best behaviour...:D

I went out for a cycle in the summer with my family and didn't wear my helmet. I dont always wear one as it was too hot and its too sweaty after a while (no excuse I know)
Monday morning mindee arrives 'Becky, we saw you out on Sunday without a helmet' :eek:

A lot of explaining to do there then....lol

Becky x

clorogue
17-10-2011, 12:34 PM
It was only last week when a lady came up to me (who is a teacher), she was collecting her child from school. She said she remembered me from 'toddlers' and always thought how lovely and gentle I was with the children. She remembered me, I barely remembered her - just goes to show even from a few years ago. It really made my day!!

francinejayne
17-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I always watch other people too! It is human nature! And I think doing our job we are judged too, whether rightly or wrongly!

I was approached by someone last week looking for childcare (I am full so wasn't able to help them) who told me they weren't happy with their current childminder as she has been seen by someone dragging their child along the road screaming and crying - I did tell them that they sometimes have to know the full details - if for example the child was having a tantrum and the childminder had to be at school on time for school pick ups, then IMO they don't have many options other than to take the child by the hand and make them continue the journey to school kicking and screaming, otherwise they would be late for the older children at school!

It is natural to judge other people (I do it too!) and it is lovely if people form a nice opinion, I do think it is a shame if people make a negative snap judgement sometimes though - but saying that, of the childminders I know I would only leave my child with a select few of them!! :laughing:

AliceK
17-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I always watch other people too! It is human nature! And I think doing our job we are judged too, whether rightly or wrongly!

I was approached by someone last week looking for childcare (I am full so wasn't able to help them) who told me they weren't happy with their current childminder as she has been seen by someone dragging their child along the road screaming and crying - I did tell them that they sometimes have to know the full details - if for example the child was having a tantrum and the childminder had to be at school on time for school pick ups, then IMO they don't have many options other than to take the child by the hand and make them continue the journey to school kicking and screaming, otherwise they would be late for the older children at school!

It is natural to judge other people (I do it too!) and it is lovely if people form a nice opinion, I do think it is a shame if people make a negative snap judgement sometimes though - but saying that, of the childminders I know I would only leave my child with a select few of them!! :laughing:

Same here unfortunately :panic:

xxx

The Juggler
17-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Same here unfortunately :panic:

xxx

and here. the mums I have have often said to me they have 'seen' me whilst working or friends have and have recommended me. There's a handful I'd put my kids with like a shot and a whole heap of others I would never dare:panic:

Becci26
17-10-2011, 01:13 PM
It's in our nature to 'people watch' and I guess if I were looking for childcare I would do the same.

a friend of mine saw a local childminder in the park with a child - the child was not allowed out the buggy. She was not impressed and said for that reason would not use her. There may have been a genuine reason but they look at whats happening at that moment.

JCrakers
17-10-2011, 02:10 PM
It's in our nature to 'people watch' and I guess if I were looking for childcare I would do the same.

a friend of mine saw a local childminder in the park with a child - the child was not allowed out the buggy. She was not impressed and said for that reason would not use her. There may have been a genuine reason but they look at whats happening at that moment.

Eek..I do this sometimes...hope Im not being judged badly. We always go to the park after school but because its very busy with school children charging about and the park isnt suitable for little ones (big stone climbing rocks and big stepping stone rocks, no swings etc.) quite often I leave the little ones in the buggy whilst the older ones have a run about for 15-20mins. Plus Ive usually already been to the park earlier in the day with the little ones.

lozzy23
17-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I was approached by a dad at pre-school to care for his child B who was going to go to school that September and their childminder was unable to do that school run. B's mum even approached the mum of one of the children I looked after to ask her opinion (live on same estate). All must of been fine as I have had child B with me for over a year.:)

I always think I am being watched, I pick up from the same class as my Development Officer!;)

francinejayne
17-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Eek..I do this sometimes...hope Im not being judged badly. We always go to the park after school but because its very busy with school children charging about and the park isnt suitable for little ones (big stone climbing rocks and big stepping stone rocks, no swings etc.) quite often I leave the little ones in the buggy whilst the older ones have a run about for 15-20mins. Plus Ive usually already been to the park earlier in the day with the little ones.

Which is exactly why it is unfair to judge a person from a snapshot view! Something we are all guilty of unfortunately!