PDA

View Full Version : Child development reviews

jennyb14
16-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Glad to be part of this forum!! I have a mindling who is 21 months old and has been with me for nearly a year. In the back of my head it's been nagging for months that he might very well be on the autism spectrum. It's a difficult subject to raise with any parent, so i thought a development review with well placed questions might prompt the parents to seek further help. Does anyone have any ideas about the kind of questions I might ask? Or is there another way I might approach this? Ta

AliceK
16-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi
I have exactly the same problem. I held a developmental review with mum last week to try and prompt her but she seemed very disinterested in the meeting :( . I'm stuck as to what to do now so would really be interested in seeing the replies you get on here.

xxx

blue bear
16-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Children here get a check at age 2, could you write a summative assessment on lo and give it to mum to give hv at check, write on the bottom you are happy to discuss further with hv with mums permission.

AliceK
17-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Children here get a check at age 2, could you write a summative assessment on lo and give it to mum to give hv at check, write on the bottom you are happy to discuss further with hv with mums permission.

I had already thought about this but mum wasn't sure if they still do the 2yr check. I checked it out with the families doctor surgery and they now don't have a check until they are 3 and half. They now see children at 8mths and then not for another nearly 3 yrs :eek: . They say that if a parent is concerned they can always see a HV but in my case mum either isn't concerned or is hiding information from me so that avenue is closed to me :( It's so tough. We want to do the best for the child but when in my case parents don't seem to be onboard and honest with us it's difficult.

xxxx

blue bear
17-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Do you have a good relationship with hv? I have in the past suggested a two year check may be a good idea without mentioning anyconcerns so not breaking confidentiality, so hv made all the contact, parent got letter in post, I wrote my assessment and gave it to parent for hv to read at appointment and things got dealt with.

Or could you ask parent written permission to talk to hv? Just a general permission then you could say hv brought up the concerns?

Do you have a senco d/o in your area, you need parental permission for senco to see soecific child then you can get senco or you can talk to parent of any concerns senco brought up