PDA

View Full Version : What a nightmare!!!!Toys and books everywhere!

Cassie
16-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Yesterday i purchased some new storage for my playroom.I woke this morning full of energy thinking i could finally get everything organised...know i wish i had never started! :panic: There is stuff everywhere and i still don't have enought room!
What do all you lovely ladies do with books... I have a bookcase where i put everyday books but i have spent a lot of money on lovely books over the years for themes and occasions etc that i refuse to leave out for freeplay (is this wrong of me???)I don't know where to put them..I still want to be able to access them easily because we use them all the time. Any ideas??? Will Ofsted make a comment about the books not being accessible to the mindees do you think?

PixiePetal
16-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a bookshelf for mindees books and others I keep on a high shelf - ones with DVDs/CDs/reference+themes for me to use. My mindees are all under 3 so just not sensible for them all to be out. I bring them down when needed.

sarah707
16-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a couple of book boxes for the children and I swap and change them around to follow interests or reflect changes in the seasons.

I have a book shelf for the older children which they can reach - they are taught to be responsible and put the books back when read.

I then have my own bookshelf with reference books and special ones :D

Pauline
16-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Same here, high shelf for my special books and book boxes for the everyday ones for children to help themselves, these are rotated to keep them 'fresh' and updated with library books. :)

singingcactus
16-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I have the same problem. I have a bag and a shelf for the little ones - that's not a problem. But I have loads of great books for older kids, and I also have loads of great resources. They like to play with the resources, but not really that interested in the books that often and since they are only here before school mostly I don't really want to fill my accessible storage with stuff they won't use and put away the stuff they will use. Getting the right balance is hard, especially since we also have to balance the kids needs with getting it right for OFSTED who are, to be honest, usually out of touch with the children.

Nature'sKids!
16-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Big clear plastic boxes!
If you haven't got space for a bookshel or high shelf you could put books relevantto the children's age, season and theme out in a nice bo or basket or a shelf if you have one. Everything else can be stored in big clear bins, sorted according to age, theme etc and easy for you to access, but maybe in your bedroom on top of wardrobe or under the bed etc.
I think having EVERYTHING on show all the time can easily overwhelm kids and I find mine play calmer an more focused if I brig out a few certain things at a time. For eg seasonal books, and booksfrom the library. 3 jigsaws on a table. One or two small world play options, one or two sensory options and the usual building blocks, dressing up and den building scarves and cloths, dolls and home corner.
That is if I have 3 or 4 kids of various ages.
Just my two have about half that and play better than with everything out and visible. I think it's too much stimulation. Especially for tiny ones who can't sworn off easily.