PDA

View Full Version : Accountant or not ?

jadavi
16-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Sorry to have so many expenses questions . . Just starting out. Does apnyone feel they don't see the need for an accountant as the ncma book or this forum has helped them enough and they can do it themselves ? Hubby seems to think an acc will still save me loads and we should do it. Also if yes - are there tried and trusted ones rec by this forum or do I need to physically sit down with one?

boxtree7
16-10-2011, 08:35 AM
it would depend on how much you earn. I use an accountant it seems expensive at £250.00 but he does save me money in the long run. I did follow the NCMA book and hand that to him at the end of tax year. There is also an account excel spreadsheet you can purchase from ebay i have also tried this and prefer it - it works everything out for you all you need to do is put the costings in.

PixiePetal
16-10-2011, 10:07 AM
if you will be working full time with a good income it may well be worth having an accountant. Save time for you and hopefully money, in the long run.

I have always managed my own but would consider if I thought it was getting on top of me

Pixie dust
16-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I manage my own accounts as I find it quite easy to do with the ncma book, I try and do it every week also I am only working between 20 to 30 hours a week so I have time to do it.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2011, 11:10 AM
You still have to prepare the accounts so think about how much you work and how much more you would need to do to be able to lodge the return

I have been minding since 1993 and only this year am I going to an accountant as my husband now works alongside me and it is getting complicated

Also how confident are you of what you are doing?

Lots of questions which we have to answer ourselves as we are all different but remember that there is lots of help on the forum and the HMRC are only a phone call away

jadavi
16-10-2011, 01:30 PM
wow if your accountant costs 250 then he must be saving you a lot of money if you have to make his fee then more on top! What other loop holes is he finding?

jadavi
17-10-2011, 02:45 PM
posting this again in the hopes of an answer....

If you pay an accountant 250 and expect to make a profit out of his work then what is he doing that you're not - by following the NCMA book?
It seems such a lot of money and yet people are saying 'it's worth it!' !! Why? (assuming you're filling in the NCMA accounts book right which I think I am....)

ja x

PixiePetal
17-10-2011, 04:39 PM
If I were working a 50hr week with 6 mindees a day I would happily send my books to an accountant to do them! as I am not, I do them myself :thumbsup:

Been minding 17 years and done ok so far :)