PDA

View Full Version : Claiming for % of your morgage?

jadavi
16-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Is anyone claiming for a percentage of their house mortgage? Been reading the tax link on paulines sticky and it seems you're liable for business council tax if you do this. I have no dependants using my space while I Childmind but we use the kitchen and living room in the evenings. I child mind fulltime in the whole downstairs each day and one bedroom 3 nights. This makes 33% of our whole living space. Our mortgage is £300 a month. Can I claim for £100 a month and if so would I be getting myself into other complications ?
Thanks in advance for advice.
Ja

sarah707
16-10-2011, 09:35 AM
The tax office have always advised against childminders claiming a percentage of their mortgage.

The deduction is not on the list agreed between HMRC and NCMA.

If you choose to go this route please take detailed advice from HMRC first as it could have long term financial implications.

Hth :D

VINASOL
16-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Is anyone claiming for a percentage of their house mortgage? Been reading the tax link on paulines sticky and it seems you're liable for business council tax if you do this. I have no dependants using my space while I Childmind but we use the kitchen and living room in the evenings. I child mind fulltime in the whole downstairs each day and one bedroom 3 nights. This makes 33% of our whole living space. Our mortgage is £300 a month. Can I claim for £100 a month and if so would I be getting myself into other complications ?
Thanks in advance for advice.
Ja

I thought that I had read on HMRC childminding guidelines that you could not claim any percentage on mortgage payments on your tax return.

What you can claim is:

If you work 40+ hours a week you can claim 33% of heat and electricity; 10% of council tax and 10% water rates etc but this percentage drops if you work less hours. It is based on hours that you work not how many children you care for.

So I think that the answer is no, you can't claim.

http://www.nicma.org/06/publications/IR0708.pdf (see page 6)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I went on a tax course earlier this year and we were advised to claim the % of our mortgage, rates, water, elec and gas. They gave it to us in writing!

I am talking to Mr A at the moment as he originally brought this to my attention and because I work 60 hours+ then my work percentage is higher than 50%.

Will get back to you once I have it all clear and a spreadsheet to calculate it all.

Note that you can only claim the interest part of your mortgage and not a percentage of the whole payment so you will need a breakdown from your mortgage company of principal and interest.

jadavi
16-10-2011, 01:32 PM
It seems very unfair that renters can claim it off their rent but home owners can't. I guess some people could have mansions and whopping mortgages but then you'd think tax people could state a reasonable standard rate for everyone...