PDA

View Full Version : Variations for new minders

Anon8319
15-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi all,
Another thread, sorry!!

I already have my own daughter and a 21 month old. My daughter goes to nursery one day and spends 2 mornings or 2 afternoons a week with granny, but she does obviously still count in my numbers.

I had a lady contact me - she has an 18mth and 3mth baby and she wants to get the 18mth into childcare now so she can spend time with the 3mth old and then will want the 3mth old to join the 18mth at childcare when she returns to work (so 3mth old will then be 6-9mths and the 18mth old will then be 21-24mths, same as my daughter, and my 21mth mindee will be 24-27mths). Obviously the addition of the 3mth (then 6-9mths) will put me over my numbers, but as a younger sibling to the 18mth old, would I be likely to get a variation, even as a new minder?

I know this is going to end up quite tricky as I will have an under 1 and 3 children aged between 21 and 24mths (or 24 and 27 months if she waits to go back til baby is 9mths), but I am quite excited. I would still be able to do the school run with the 5 year old as I'd have my own daughter cared for by my mother in law while I do the school run, on the days she is not there anyway or at nursery. I have 3 seats in the back and one in the front. Also, my own daughter will go to nursery in 6 months' time (21 month mindee may go next year too), so it won't be all the time).

Zoomie
15-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you would be able to get a variation, for when the mum returns to work, but you would need to prove to ofsted on how you would cope.

also as you are a new minder (i understand) you may get a mini inspection before the variation will be considered.

I applied for a variation when I had been minding for about 4.5m and had a 20-30 min inspection (just confirming info for the variation / looking around) and then had another inspection about 6 weeks later which was my first grading inspection.

You do have to tell the parents of your new / existing mindees as they ask this question on the variation request form.

boxtree7
15-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Its should a pity nobody has challenged you own children on your certificate. I understand why they count but i see childminding as a business and am happy for my son to attend a childminder 2 days a week. if we could only provide proof that our own children attended alternative setting and allow us to be more flexible.