PDA

View Full Version : Mind boggles!

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 07:38 PM
So the more I read on risk assessments and policies and procedures, next steps and all the paperwork the more I think this is just so way OTT!!!
I didn't do this much planning and there was certainly not the paranoia about ra every single little thing when I worked in Austria in kindergartens.
It's health and safety and paperwork gone mad!
How can youconcentrate on just being with the child and going with the child's lead if it all needs to be assessed in some way or the other???
I mean I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when insaw a policy on "laminate flooring" on the Bromley website.

Seriously!?

Velleity
14-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I know. It's madness. I spontaneously got the bubbles out today and then had a rethink because I haven't Risk Assessed them yet. Not even sure if I have to or not!

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh ... Bubbles are so dangerous .... :/

Mouse
14-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Hopefully written risk assessments are being phased out in the EYFS review in Sept 2012 and we will actually be trusted to use our common sense :thumbsup:

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Hopefully written risk assessments are being phased out in the EYFS review in Sept 2012 and we will actually be trusted to use our common sense :thumbsup:

Oh that's a start at least!

I guess for the inspection I'll go overboard with everything I can think of and get it out the way. Hopefully wouldn't need to reassess again if it's being phased out (PLEASE!! *prays*) lol

Tatjana
14-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Really??? Oh please let this be so, I cannot stand all the paperwork on them.

kel1983
15-10-2011, 08:41 AM
I think some policies and risk assessments are going a little too far.

The problem I found when I looked on the Bromley site is that there were so many policies on there that you can get very carried away.

When I had my first graded inspection all I had was the basic policies which are set out in the EYFS. Mrs O was very happy with these. I did have all risk assessments in place. I actually found these rather easy as most things were repeated for each room. But I do agree its all common sense.

Jiorjiina
15-10-2011, 12:30 PM
You don't have to risk assess the use of bubbles!

A risk assessment is only a document that states you have considered potential significant risks and what to do to stop them from being harmful. They don't have to cover every single minute detail, just things that could cause genuine harm.

Since bubbles (and please tell me this was an ironic exaggeration!) are not going to do that, they don't need to be assessed.

If anyone is confused about this, I suggest you check out the HSE website (http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/faq.htm) for the details.

You don't need top have any written policies at all, as a childminder, only the knowledge of what to do in the event of a particular situation (such as child protection or sickness), most people choose to write them down because it helps to have something to refer to and to give to parents to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

Health and safety has not gone mad, it is misunderstood.

You do not need to have policies for things laminate flooring, but some people choose to have them. All the Bromley CMA has done is put on line samples of everything of policy you might have, not every policy you need to have.

rickysmiths
15-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I know. It's madness. I spontaneously got the bubbles out today and then had a rethink because I haven't Risk Assessed them yet. Not even sure if I have to or not!

Please don't say you didn't use the bubbles? Two second RA in your head should be more than enough.

I have just got Outstanding for my RAs and all aspects of keeping the children safe. I had bubbles out with the tots in the garden on inspection day and I don't have a RA for bubbles. The Inspector didn't even say anything. Life is far too short to be honest. I naturally Risk assess everything I do with the children and we don't have to write down Risk Assessments anyway we just have to prove we do it. I think if you have the basics written and then the inspector can see what you are doing and how and they can tell if you are naturally risk assessing as you go.

I had a lamiate floor for 7 years and did not do a written Risk Assessment any more than I don't specfically have one for any of my karndean flooring now apart fro that I keep it clean.