PDA

View Full Version : i hope i am doing the right thing

debratina
14-10-2011, 04:51 PM
i have a child from the 2 year old project. the mindee is entitled to 10 hours a week but i get paid for 11 and have the child for 12 has it means i would have to go to school 30 mins earlier. i have had this child since may and mum has been nothing but trouble sort of. she can turn up late up to 30 minutes so thats unpaid, doesn't seem bothered about being late and doesn't text me to say so, and just other little things that stress me out. mum wants me to have little one for the 3 year funding and is adement that little one is not going to nursery. today i have made the decision that she is not stopping with me after christmas when the two year old funding stops. yesterday lo had a rash - asked mum to get her to the doctors or the walkin centre and text me to let me know. today no text and mum and lo are waiting for me outside school. lo still with rash. mum says i didnt go to the doctors (because boyfriend was working and she couldnt get there, what a load of twaddle there is such a thing as a bus) but went to to the childrens centre who said it was a viral rash - ok i said well i cant have her as its a viral infection oh and lo looks shattered. we went to the childrens centre and they explained to mum that i was right in not having her and she needs to see a doctor and lo needs rest. i felt like banging my head against a brick wall. this is the last straw :( i have had no help from social worker, health visitor or family worker despite leaving messages for them has i have concerns. i am a 42 year old with two grown up children, minding for just under 5 years and plenty of life experience so why do i feel this parent doesn't believe me when i give her advice about her child. sorry for the rant it been a very stressful week however my eldest son is coming home today for 10 days (he works in spain) so really really looking forward to a big cuddle from my son.

The Juggler
14-10-2011, 05:28 PM
hon, this mum is behaving a bit like a child (and may well be (not sure of her age) so you need to sit her down and give her a firm talking to.

Tell her about your conversation with the cc and how cross you are with her for lying to you.

Tell her that if she wants you to continue having little ones she needs to be on time and honest or it is not going to work.

She may get cross and leave but if you've decided not to continue past xmas it won't matter.

If you want to support her and work with her then talking some sense into her like this is the kindest thing to do :thumbsup:

debratina
14-10-2011, 06:56 PM
hi juggler
mum is about 22 - 23. i honestly feel i cant talk to this mum. she is not like the other mums i have got she is totally different. i think if i spoke to her it will go in one ear and out of the other very quickly. the social worker did mention to mum about her being late before the summer holidays. just didnt listen. i can honestly say with my hand on my heart i have tried. i do feel guilty that i am letting the lo down but there is only so much i can take and i have reached that point:(

blue bear
14-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Can you point her in the direction of other options for the 15 hour funding? That should make you feel less guilty but at the end if the day it's not your fault she's messed you about and now the lo has to move on, there's only so much you can take.

I've only had one child on this scheme and the child and whole family have been delightful, I can see from your post I've been lucky.

loocyloo
14-10-2011, 08:29 PM
i have a 2 yr old on the pilot scheme and its exactly the same as for 3 & 4 yr olds. i get paid for the number of hours he is contracted to each week, regardless of if he is late, or doesn't attend. the only time i won't get the funding is when i am closed!

how did this 2 yr old come to you? my understanding for my LA is that all 2 yr olds being funded are 'referred' for funded care and therefore they is another professional involved somewhere with the family. i have spoken to both the parents support officer and health visitor regading my 2 yr old, and it was the childrens centre and my DO who asked if i would take him on. Ask someone to help/talk to mum! sorry, just re-read your post to say noone has got back to you ... keep ringing, get the childrens centre involved, ask them to help.

good luck x

alwaysright
14-10-2011, 09:02 PM
if its like the 2 year old funding in our area, they are funded because either the child or parent has problems, parenting problems, mental health issues etc etc, so sounds like this child has been put with you because of parent problems, and she probably isnt bothered about being late because shes getting it for free, makes me laugh....these people are flooded with help and couldnt give a hoot!! i had one parent on this scheme supposed to come see me and didnt turn up, the hv later told me she had no-one to drop the child.....erm do it yourself it was only a ten minute walk!

The Juggler
15-10-2011, 02:13 PM
hi juggler
mum is about 22 - 23. i honestly feel i cant talk to this mum. she is not like the other mums i have got she is totally different. i think if i spoke to her it will go in one ear and out of the other very quickly. the social worker did mention to mum about her being late before the summer holidays. just didnt listen. i can honestly say with my hand on my heart i have tried. i do feel guilty that i am letting the lo down but there is only so much i can take and i have reached that point:(

you are NOT letting anyone down hon, if you have tried already. I would tell her clearly one more time, warn her about notice, then it is her choice to either listen or accept the notice when it comes :)