PDA

View Full Version : baby sling

chez
14-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Im currently looking after (nannying until my minding business is set up) a baby whos 12 weeks old.

We attend a couple of toddler groups in the week and Im starting to wonder about getting a sling for use at these.

I wouldnt necassaryly use them outside as Im scared stiff Id fall over on him.

Its mainly because for example yesterday I went to a group changed his nappy and had to carry him to the loos where I could wash my hands. Id rather have had him in a sling so I could wash them propley.
Also when Im looking after other mindees I feel itll be hard to play and interact with them with LO in my arms.
He does go in baby seats etc but Im worried other children will "share toys/drop toys on him" which they have with other babies Ive cared for.

Am I being a worrier its the first time Ive looked after such a young baby alone as Ive been working in a setting with my mum til now.

kindredspirits
14-10-2011, 12:13 PM
i think its a good idea - I am expecting another baby in december and have bought a couple of slings to use whilst minding and out and about. Its only recently seeing my newborn granddaughter that I have remembered quite how teeny and delicate young babies are, and although I was going to buy a playmat for if I needed to pop baby down now I am definately not! lol my 3 year old mindee keeps telling me about the sound her puppy makes when she stands on it :eek: paranoid mum in me came out and thought no way is my baby going on the floor during minding hours!! :laughing: (not little anyway, obviously she will at some point.)

cockatoos
14-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I love slings for babies. I think I've used about 6 over the years, mainly for my boys but I've just started childminding and use them for the 11 and 12 month olds I look after. The best one I've found out of all is the Ergo but I've never used it for such a small baby (didn't know about it when my youngest was little).

The ring type slings are also good and really easy to pop the babies in and out. I've also used wilkinet, lots of straps to do up but v comfy. The baby bjorn (is that the right spelling or am I thinking of the toy dolls?!) - I didn't find so comfy especially as the baby gets bigger. The babies seem like they dangle a bit. The metal framed backpacks I found too heavy for me.

Definately go for one - see if anyone has one you can borrow, they are all so different and see what suits you!

Amy

sillybeans
14-10-2011, 12:38 PM
When my LO was young we brought a Kari me sling. This is just a piece of material thats comes with a booklet showing you how to tie it properly etc.

We brought it because my husband has extremely broad shoulders and standard belt and buckle one's just didn't fit. :eek:

I absolutely love it! We used it from 10 weeks old and she was snug as a bug. It was expensive (about £50) but worked really well for us. My sister loved it too but didn't like the cost. She went and brought some jersey material and watched you tube to check she was tying it correctly! :)

It has about 4/5 different ways to tie depending on the age of the child and how you want them positioned.

Still occasionally use it even though my daughter is 2 as it has a way of tying so that it supports a child sitting on your hip.

mummyMia
14-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I used a sling for dd when she was little but it really hurt my back even though it was one of the really supportive ones. I personally wouldn't use one for a mindee. At the playgroups that I go to all the mums just bring the newborns in carseats and they seem to be fine.

I also found that it was VERY hard to bend down with the sling and on a couple of occasions when I did bend down some of the clips opened (BabyBjorn sling) and dd nearly fell out. I struggled at playgroup as I had dd in sling and had to keep bending down to ds to wash his hands, give him food at snack time, put his coat, help with messy play, etc.

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 12:58 PM
My 19 mnth old has been carried from birth - when out and about and at home / at playgroups.
I use a manduca which is fantastic for newborns up to 3or4 years.
A wrap also gives good support but takes more getting used to.
A mei tai is easy to use too but not so good for small babies (although possible)

My recommendation would be for a soft structured carrier.

I would probably ask Laura at www.babyroo.org.uk
For advice - she is super helpful and has lots of slings to choose from, I think there's a sale on too. She can advise what is best for you to use in your circumstances.
Tell her I sent you!
Petra x

Ps baby bjorn type carriers are the worst - no proper support for baby or adult. AVOID!

mrs_scottydog
14-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi, we used a Baba sling when my DS was little, we could use it from birth and there's lots of different ways you can use it (it comes with a booklet that explains them and what ages each position is for). We then moved onto the baby bjorn active carrier until we got a pushchair when DS was 6 months old.
This time around we'll be doing the same. Hx

Sunflowers
15-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I've worn my own lad since birth, any questions feel free to fire away :)

this is out latest wrap (although a wrap wouldn't be the most practical and I'm having it converted by opitai :) )

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296954_10150371771158825_691888824_9743217_4822784 _n.jpg

please dont be tempted by cheap mei tais on ebay.. and avoid crotch danglers and all things facing away from you.

Nature'sKids!
15-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I've worn my own lad since birth, any questions feel free to fire away :)

this is out latest wrap (although a wrap wouldn't be the most practical and I'm having it converted by opitai :) )

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296954_10150371771158825_691888824_9743217_4822784 _n.jpg

please dont be tempted by cheap mei tais on ebay.. and avoid crotch danglers and all things facing away from you.

Ooh lovely! :)