PDA

View Full Version : Soft Floor for outside / garden HELP PLEASE

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 08:30 AM
We have a carport which Ian really being used properly so we decided to fence it off securely and use it as an always accessible outdoor play area. (door from both conservatory/ playroom and front door)
It is all concrete obviously but I would liketo put some flooring down that is safer and also more colourful. It is under a roof so wouldn't get rained on but still damp. I want to put a small climbing frame / slide for toddlers, sandpit, a couple of ride on toys etc out there.

I need help though as I cant find anything I like.
Have you got any suggestions please?

rosebud
14-10-2011, 08:43 AM
would fake grass be any good for this - i'm not sure if you can put it on concrete. You could use concrete paint for colour and then outdoor safety mats around the climbing equipment.

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Oh I never thought about paint!
That would work on the rubber playground type flooring too wouldn't it?

Goatgirl
14-10-2011, 09:24 AM
I just bought some 2' x 2' foam mats : squares which fit together. I use them to zone areas in my living room over laminate flooring and the children do seem to prefer them to the bare floor, if they're down. I've also used them to cover the floor of my outdoor wooden Wendy house as they're easily trimmed, make it very cosy as they're warm to sit on and its also easy to clean the top side.

I bought them originally for my garden, to soften the concrete path areas, but as its all very uneven this didn't really work. You can get lots of different colours, though mine weren't as they appeared on the online picture, so be a good idea to get coloured samples sent to you first. Varying thicknesses too.

Hope you find something you like :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

kindredspirits
14-10-2011, 12:16 PM
i bought some foam square mats for outside when i started minding - lovely and colourful and great for near the slides etc BUT they are very slippery even when damp and where my paving was uneven i found them more of a danger than a protection.
I would go for really heavy protective mats that are plain and boring for around any play equipment, either like the type you get for PE lessons, or toysrus do some for around slides etc. and then paint the floor. :thumbsup:

mrs coops
14-10-2011, 02:28 PM
THERE WAS SOME ON EBAY THE OTHER DAY FOR SALE EXCATLY THE SAME AS WHAT YOU GET UNDER STUFF IN PARKS XXXXX

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for that, I never thought about them getting slippery when damp.
I was thinking either fake grass or the type of rubber floor you get on tennis courts etc.
Might ring around for advice!

Vickster
14-10-2011, 05:14 PM
We have fake grass in our garden and it is like having a carpert outside! The children love it

francinejayne
14-10-2011, 07:25 PM
We have fake grass in our garden and it is like having a carpert outside! The children love it

What make / sort have you got? Do you have any piccies?