PDA

View Full Version : activities to help with buttons and zips

nipper
13-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know of any activities or toys (dolls) that help toddlers with doing up buttons/undoing zips? or poppers/prestuds and all the other little fiddly things they should be practising for that matter?

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.4littletots.co.uk/learn-to-dress-pirate_235.htm

This?

chibault
14-10-2011, 12:53 AM
There are things called dressing frames, which are made for montessori environments, they focus on one thing at a time like, large buttons, buckles, laces, etc. You can have ago at making them yourself
http://homemademontessori.blogspot.com/2008/10/dressing-frames.html
or you could buy some from 'absorbent minds' a montessori online shop. Just google it and you'll see what I mean.

I haven't gone this route though, as being in a home setting there is so many real chances to do this, such as standing next to the buggy and doing/undoing the clips, press studs on packets, bought a pair of shoes from a charity shop for the kids to practice buckling and gave them a small watch strap, velcro on lots of toys or on their shoes, lacing a pair of your trainers. button one of your heavy coats or cardigans.

So you don't need to buy you can just improvise by hunting for different fastenings around the house.
HTH,
Becky x

Penny1959
14-10-2011, 05:12 AM
For Zips I have those little bags that gifts come in and use them as containers.

At the moment I have some finger puppets in one and 1 of my mindees spends ages opening the bag taking out the finger puppets, putting them back in - at the moment she still still needs support to do the zip back up.

Although I haven't got round to it making one for mindees yet - I made my DD's a cloth skills book out of felt. one with a humpty shape with a strap and buckle cut off an old pair of their sandles as Humptys belt. A lorry shape with 3 'containers on the back held on with different sized buttons. a egg shape with a zipped middle and a little chick shape inside, and a shoe shape cut into 2 halves and of course shoe lace to hold together so looked like a shoe.

Was simple to make - just sew the pages back to back and then sew dound the middle of the pages once in place together to make the book.
At the time I did not have a sewing machine so did it all by hand.

Note to self - really must get on and make one for mindees.

Penny :)