PDA

View Full Version : Are there any vegan childminders out there?

cornelia
13-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi
I thank you firstly for taking time to read this. I am planning on becoming a childminder soon, i just would like to know what people think of me serving only vegan fare to their kids? I have two kids of my own that are vegan. I just don't know if I will have problems getting children to care for, if I say that I am not willing to cook non vegan food for them. Do you think it will be problematic?

Velleity
13-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Personally, as a parent, I wouldn't have a problem with it, even though that is not how we eat at home. I would want assurances that my children were eating and enjoying the food but would be happy for them to have variety in their diet and try meals that I would not likely otherwise give them.

jojobell
13-10-2011, 07:31 PM
as a parent, i dont see a problem with that, i think its nice for children to learn about diffrent choices and have a diffrent range of meals than those typicaly cooked, however if parents really want their childen to have meat and diary maybe they could provide a packed lunch, ham sandwichs ect??? then you are not restricting the childs diet or the veiws and choices of the parent however you would not have to cook meat, non vegan products or perchace them.............
just an idea

mummyMia
13-10-2011, 07:53 PM
I am a vegetarian childminder and have found that parents are quite flexible. I did however, run into problems with my older after school mindees. They were extremely fussy eaters and kept asking me for ham sandwiches and sausages, which I would not give. The only things that I could get them to eat were Dairylea on white bread, strawberry yogurt, fruit juice and occasionally some fruit. They just would not eat anything else and preferred to go hungry. I never got them to eat a single vegetable of any sort, not even on pizza! I can't imagine how they would have gotten on with a vegan childminder.

My 19 month old mindee will eat anything and I serve her vegan meals on some days.

VeggieSausage
13-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I am a vegan childminder, I don't mention to parents that I am vegan and I feed the children in my care a varied died that includes dairy and small amounts of meat. The children eat lots of vegan meals than no-one would even think about, pasta with pasta sauces I make, vegetable stews and soups etc - stuff that is just part of a healthy balanced diet. I did tell the first ever parent that came to see me and I saw her go from being very keen to totally switched off in one sentence! Unfortunately most people are entrenched that milk/chicken etc is vital for childrens health and lack the knowledge that calcium for example can come from other food sources. I just think of it that its not my choice for my own children but I am just carrying out parents wishes for their children, obviously I do feed them lots of yummy vegan meals within this.

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi, I'm starting soon hopefully and will be serving vegetarian and vegan food too. No animal milks but we do eat goats cheese and organic chedda and eggs from my brothers back garden free range
Chickens :)
I was goingto advertise this but thinking about it you wouldn't advertise that you eat meat every day or anything like that.
I suppose if YOU don't want to cook / prepare / purchase animal products one way would be to have kids bring their own lunches.
You would probably be limiting yourself too much otherwise.

lauren1979
14-10-2011, 07:03 AM
I am vegetarian and only do vegetarian food, this has never put anyone off. As far as vegan goes, it probably depends what sort of area you are in and if there are a lot of likeminded parents!

sarah707
14-10-2011, 07:17 AM
It is a requirement of the Eyfs and the Equality Act 2010 that childminders are inclusive.

The Equality Act says we have to be prepared to make 'reasonable adjustments' to accommodate all children and their families.

That means ramps for wheelchairs, wide doorways for walking frames, a hearing loop for a child who wears an aid... and special diets for children who need them.

Special diets are not just a meat eater offering to prepare a vegan diet... but a vegan offering a meat diet if that is the parents wish.

Inclusivity works both ways - you must say in your policy for the Eyfs 'I will include all children regardless of race, religious beliefs, ability or disability etc' but you also have to consider how you would include children whose parents have different dietary requirements for their children that are maybe at odds with how you feed your own children and yourself.

Does that make sense?

You have made a lifestyle choice that might not be the choice all families want to make for their child. Will you turn them away if they want their child to have meat products? If so you cannot say you are an inclusive childminder.

If it does not sit comfortably with you to offer a range of foods then maybe your unique selling point will be that you cook a vegan diet and you need to state that in your literature and be prepared for parents to choose not to use you.

I hope this helps you to understand the law behind what you are saying. You must at the end of the day follow what you think is right for you.

Hth :D

Jollybones
14-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I am vegan and nearly every meal I provide is Vegan with the exception of cheese (for my own children and mindees).
Only one parent turned their noses up but once I showed her the meals I do provide they were quite happy.

All my minded children eat everything and anything I make (including older ones).

So far so good!!

VeggieSausage
21-10-2011, 10:22 AM
its amazing to me that there are so many vegan childminders :) I thought I would probably be the only one.....be good to keep in touch.

I advertise that I can cater for special diets including vegan and vegetarian...this seems to be a good way to do it as no-one is put off but it may attract families that have veggie or vegan children. One of my families are always making 'jokes' about their child not liking meat much and he might be one of those 'vegetarians' which does make me giggle to myself!