PDA

View Full Version : What do you serve as drinks?

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 10:45 AM
We mainly have water here anyway so I would be offering that mostly. I like the idea of fruit teas and herbal teas (lukewarm) for the kids in winter as we do in austria and Germany. (no juice)
Herbs like mint or chamomile an be quite therapeutic as well. And fruit teas would give a little flavour without the sugar content of juice etc.
What do you do?

buzzy bee
13-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Just water, and milk for babies/toddlers and if requested by older ones.

Helps keep my food bills down and I only have occasional grumbles from the school kids about being boring :thumbsup:

Ali56
13-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Mostly water or milk here! I don't give fruit juice at all, I know that may seem mean but my older 2 never had it and they have great teeth, DD2 had very diluted juice sometimes and her teeth are terrible, I feel really bad about it and I wish I hadn't given it to her.:( It was SO hard though when she saw the others having it (there is a big age gap)
We like to have hot choc sometimes if we've been out in the rain! No squash-ever! I haven't thought of fruit tea though, I may try it-good idea! :)

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Squash doesn't even come into my house - hate the stuff!
Yes, I forgot about milk - although we use non animal milks (unless required such as formula etc)Breastmilk on tap lol
We drink teas here and the kids love it as it's something different.

Flisspaps
13-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Milk and water.

rosebud
13-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Water and milk between meals and fruit juice and squash is also offered with meals but not inbetween - advice of my dentist. What do you do though if children (LO's) are already used to having squash all the time at home, I know they shouldn't and its really bad for their teeth but if thats what they're used to its really hard to say no - especially if they bring a beaker with squash in from home.

singingcactus
13-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I only provide water here. If they are under 12 months and require milk then parent provide that. I wouldn't provide little people with fruit teas, as there's no need. I do sometimes offer camomile tea, but no other kind of herbal tea as I don't know what effect the herbs will have on the child, especially since so many parents like to dose their kids up with over the counter meds for no reason.
I like herbal tea myself though, and will make it for my children when they want, cos I know my kids aren't filled with any meds for the herbs to react with, and I know what they will be doing the rest of the day and what they have been doing up until that time so I know what herbs they can and cannot have.

Tink
13-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Milk or water

Velleity
13-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Milk or water too. Don't have any types of juices or squash in the house.

They eat plenty of fruit :)

Give older ones Hot Chocolate sometimes.

Penny1959
13-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Milk or water

Very occassional very watered down fruit juice if child is won't eat fruit and veg (and only if parents agree)

And if they bring juice from home - I work with parents to watered it down more each day and only provide milk or water if the cup from home is emptied.

Penny :)

ziggy
13-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I used to only offer milk or water. Then i had a little one who wouldnt have more than a few sips of milk during a 10 hour day, he then went home and drank loads. I was concerned about his lack of fluid intake so now offer v v watery orange squash but only with meals.

I think its hard if squash or fruit juices are given freely at home

miffy
13-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Water or milk, hot chocolate in the winter for older children; squash (very weak) as an occasional treat.

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
13-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Milk or water for little ones they know no different but when I get older ones who have bad habbits I give watered down pure juices - if we go out I sometimes allow them to have what is offered because I don't like them to feel deprived and wouldn't go mad if they took a drink of squash that another adult I know handed them.

I don't think sometimes when out and about it can be really really difficult to control what other people provide.

When they have squash I prefer it to be full sugar squash very well diluted with a meal but they don't ever really have it at my house - except maybe with their Christmas dinner but I won't allow them to have sugar free because of the artificial sweeteners.

I have also given older children tea with breakfast if that's what they are used to at home. My own two who are now 14 & 16 have never drunk coffee and very rarely have tea. But they do drink pop and squash when they get the chance and that is because they are bored with water and milk I believe there is nothing wrong with everything in moderation because when you deprive children of things they crave them.

But in minding I leave giving all the treats to the parents then the children are not having an over kill of junk.

loocyloo
13-10-2011, 01:33 PM
milk or water!

sometimes hot choc in winter for older ones.

i have a LO who likes a cup of weak milky tea in the morning!

if we are out i don't make a fuss if children are given squash, but we don't have it at home!

i'm trying to persuade toddlers into water instead of squash! they do have milk though!

my own children will have fizzy orange/apple or lemonade when we are out for a meal, but only as long as it is the full sugar sort! although they usually opt for fruit juice.

Sarahforster
13-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I offer sugar free dilute juice, water and milk - they generally go for juice but I only do this at snack time and meal times. Drinks inbetween would only be water and they would need to sit at the snack table for it.
x

Sarahforster
13-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I find the little ones don't drink more than one cup per snack/meal and it is weak but if more than this was asked for it would be water that I would give them! It is only what they get used to though. If water was the only thing on offer they would soon get used to it - we go to 4 different groups a week that only offer milk, water and healthy snacks and they know this and are happy about it and never moan.
x

Mouse
13-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Milk with breakfast
Dilute squash with lunch
Water or milk at snack times
Water available all the time

I really don't have a problem with children having a moderate amount of well watered down squash at a mealtime, especially if they were used to drinking it at home. If they don't drink it at home though, I don't give it to them here. At meal times, children really don't know what is in each other's beaker, so it's not a problem if one has squash and another has water.

The Juggler
13-10-2011, 03:43 PM
water for under 3's. diluted pure fruit juice in open cups for over 3's at mealtimes and for older children.

occasionally smoothie, milk is always available but no one ever asks for it..

rickysmiths
13-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Milk or water. I go through gallons of milk. Thinking of getting a cow!!

keeks
13-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Milk and water here too. The only exception is when we make our own fruit juice by squeezing oranges etc.

xx

christine e
13-10-2011, 05:01 PM
so does everyone only drink milk and water like the children?

Dragonfly
13-10-2011, 05:18 PM
We have everything, do not ban any thing, all in moderation and according to age.
Fresh fruit is full of sugar;)

kel1983
13-10-2011, 05:33 PM
We offer milk, water or very weak juice. When one little one started his mum said he would only drink water with squash in it. Well I did this for him for about a week then just gave him water which he was very happy to drink so this is what he gets now.

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Water and milk between meals and fruit juice and squash is also offered with meals but not inbetween - advice of my dentist. What do you do though if children (LO's) are already used to having squash all the time at home, I know they shouldn't and its really bad for their teeth but if thats what they're used to its really hard to say no - especially if they bring a beaker with squash in from home.

I would probably state somewhere that as sodium benzoate and sweeteners like aspartame and saccharin are banned in foods for children under three (these are found in squash and fruitshoots too! Campaigns to ban them forthe under 7s as the potential negative health affects can be huge) I won't allow anything containing artificial sweeteners and preservatives on the premises. Parents read this before they register with me so it shouldn't be a problem.

snufflepuff
13-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Only water or milk for mindees. One mindee brings his own drink and it's always squash. Mum has been trying to cut it out but he just wont touch water at all and obviously it's a worry that he will dehydrate.
My own son has very weak pure fruit juice, or now and again might have very weak squash if we run out of juice. He will drink water but only a couple of sips through the day which isn't enough.

Chimps Childminding
13-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Most of mine drink water at home! but a couple will only drink squash and rather than them go thirsty I admit I let them have squash :blush:

I know it may not be good for them, but its hard when they are only here a couple of days a week and at home having whatever they like the other 5 days!!!

rachelle
13-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Depends which child and what time of day. I offer milk or fruit juice with breakfast, water with lunch and milk or water with tea. Inbetween they have their own bottles of water. However, babies parents have requested she is offered squash with snacks as they think she is thirsty (she goes home and gulps squash - my belief is it's because it's squash rather than thirst), another brings squash from home because mum knows I won't provide it, another has soya milk because this is what's on offer at home, my full timer is only allowed water unless out for a treat (eg soft play you get a free squash and biscuit and a grown up coffee - I'm not forfitting mine so he gets his:) )

singingcactus
13-10-2011, 07:35 PM

I drink water most of the time - can't drink milk am allergic. Have a camomile tea in the afternoon.

mushpea
13-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Mine get water to drink or milk if they ask,, in the snow we come back in and have a hot chocolate for those I deem old enough,,
I drink tea coffee or water during the day ,, my own two either drink water or milk and somtimes fruit juice if we have any.

Bitsy Beans
13-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I offer weak squash or water and I specifically avoid the stuff that contains aspartame.

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 07:55 PM
I only drink water tea coffee at
Home. And a beer in the evenings lol
Very occasionally we'll have some fresh juice in.
I did just think of something else I offer my kids to drink though, which is smoothies - either homemade or the innocent smoothies or fruit puree pouches from organic or plum baby.
I usually serve these as part of a snack or as a snack on its own.

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 07:56 PM
We have everything, do not ban any thing, all in moderation and according to age.
Fresh fruit is full of sugar;)

Yes it has got sugar in it but its not isolated from the whole fruit and fibre so is absorbed differently by the body

flora
13-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Regularly we drink water, squash, the additive free kind, robinsons squash the bad sort , fruit juice, hot choc, smoothies.

We don't do tea of coffee or fizz.

Do think its the same as food all things in moderation.

Have ds whos has adhd and is sensitive to loads of nasties in food so do police them but dd is fine .

kel1983
13-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Im addicted to tea. I also like fizzy drinks and alcohol. None of these I would let the children have :laughing:

Lilylulu
13-10-2011, 10:45 PM
we have managed to get all ours liking water, its that or milk, we used to offer dilute squash also but they all love pouring their own water from a special mini plastic jug - so we no longer need to offer the juice. Surprisingly they all appear to drink more than ever now :) as with everything it helps t make things novel and appealing :)

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 11:37 PM
we have managed to get all ours liking water, its that or milk, we used to offer dilute squash also but they all love pouring their own water from a special mini plastic jug - so we no longer need to offer the juice. Surprisingly they all appear to drink more than ever now :) as with everything it helps t make things novel and appealing :)

What jug do you use?

JulieA
14-10-2011, 06:11 AM
I was speaking to a dietician recently about drinks for little ones - as part of a training course. I have one child who will drink nothing all day if I don't provide squash. She suggested adding a couple of drops of vanilla extract (NOT essence) to the water (or milk), as this will give it a sweeter taste without the sugar. Then you can work on reducing the number of drops over time. Seems to have fooled her so far!

nokidshere
14-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Milk, Water, Squash, Juice, Hot Chocolate and the occasional cup of tea for the secondary school children if they want one.

I do mainly provide water but thats only because I get fed up of throwing away half drunk drinks and not because I think anything other than water is the devils work :rolleyes:

Everything in moderation as far as we are concerned - we have even had the odd bottle of fizzy lemonade with party food!

onceinabluemoon
14-10-2011, 06:32 AM
milk, water, milkshake, juice, squash, smoothies with meals, teeth cleaned afterwards. Water freely available.

and I drink the same ;) (but have coffee before and after work)

Toothfairy
14-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Depending on age, I offer milk, water, Sugar free weak squash and fruit juice.

On special occasions we have tea, hot milk, hot chocolate, milk shake or smoothie.

Lilylulu
14-10-2011, 09:50 AM
we just use a small plastic jug 300ml probably bought cheaply at wilko's - nothing fancy - its just a small size for little hands - we have to keep re-filling, but atleast it is fresh water that way and the kids love pouring it themselves. we just had a new admission, he brought baby fruit teabags. mum is czech. a nice idea for cold days as an alternative to hot choc :)

AliceK
14-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Regularly we drink water, squash, the additive free kind, robinsons squash the bad sort , fruit juice, hot choc, smoothies.

We don't do tea of coffee or fizz.

Do think its the same as food all things in moderation.

Have ds whos has adhd and is sensitive to loads of nasties in food so do police them but dd is fine .

Same here. Most of my mindees are allowed to have squash, I make it weak and def no asparthame in my house. I only have 1 mindee who is only allowed water. Otherwise they all have what they want, so water, squash, fruit juice or milk. The only thing I don't allow is any fizzy drinks for the children.

xxx