PDA

View Full Version : How Long before I give up.

Beccles26
12-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I have been registered since august 2011, I left my job in septmeber, hoping that childminding would give me a better life, since being registered I could have filled my spaces twice over with the amount of people who have said they want me and let me down, I have one before and after school but its not enough to pay the bills, and things are really really tight now, I cant afford to go on much longer, how long to I wait before I say enough is enough and give up?!?!

zippy
12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Hun why not try getting an evening job or something at tescos to tide you over then when you get a placement start hand in notice I would always advise taking a £50 deposit which can be deducted off first weeks fees any serious parents will put it down no problem

muffins
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry but it really depends on demands in your area, but I disn't want to read & run so I'm sending you:group hug:

caz3007
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I personally would look for a seasonal job, lots of shops are looking for xmas staff right now and then if things suddenly pick up with the CMing then you can leave.

I have had several calls in the last couple of weeks, but these are mums who are seeing whats around, they havent got work yet

pipandbaz
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
It's like waiting for a bus, none for ages then 4 come along at once!
:laughing:
Hang on in there :thumbsup:

marnieb
13-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Sometimes it does take a while - with 15+ yrs experience in childcare I thought I'd be fighting mindees off with sticks, but it's taken me nearly 2 years to be at a point where I'm almost full having earned almost nothing (about £80 a week) from April-September.

miffy
13-10-2011, 06:42 AM
It can be slow when you're starting out but you've had enquiries so there is work out there so it's worth hanging on for a while.

I agree with the op who suggested taking a deposit from any parent who says they want a space, it really does sort out those who are serious and those who are not!

Hope something turns up soon

Miffy xx

JCrakers
13-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Its been slow here for the past year...now things are looking up for me and Ive taken on 3 new mindees and 1 for school hols only. I am in a really lucky poition where hubbie earns the money to pay bills and my wages are extra. I know I am in a very lucky position and a lot of people are not. :blush:
I really hope things start looking up for you....it can be hard

I think its all about getting your name out there. A lot of parents go for a childminder who has been recommended so it can sometimes take a while.

How about printing out some small leaflets and putting through all the doors in your area, putting notices on lamp-posts?

It is common for parents to be really interested and then drop out. If someone comes for a look around, dont get our hopes up until they have signed the contract, Ive been let down a few times :(
Also take a deposit thats non refundable

loocyloo
13-10-2011, 12:26 PM
hi, i was working 50 hrs a week, was as full as i could possibly be & employed an assistant a couple of afternoons, and had a waiting list ... then

we moved with my husbands job and for 4 months i had nothing ... then one little girl for 5 hrs a week! then i was asked by the childrens centre if i would do some respite care over the holidays for a little boy in DDs class. mum knew me from toddlers and asked them to ask me. this was just a few hours each week. since then i've had a few enquiries from social care aking if i could help ( but i haven't been able to )

then back to nothing ... and suddenly i'm as full as i want to be, with parents all wanting to increase days. BUT, the weekend before i got all the enquiries, i had actually spent the weekend looking at jobs on the internet, and decided that i was going to give the job centre a call once we moved out of our rented house, as there were a couple of catering jobs i liked the sound of! by the time we had moved house 2 weeks later ... i had children!

i also had lots of people say they would use me, that came to nothing.

it does depend upon the area, as some areas are very quiet. do you have a childrens centre you could go to, get yourself known at? can you wear a childminder top or something at school so people know what you do? advertise in school newsletter/on notice board? would you be able to help in school at all? then the children get to know you and word spreads how nice you are! good luck xxx