PDA

View Full Version : How have you all got your mindees?

devoncm
12-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Need ideas of how to advertise some more, ive got most of mine through childcare.co.uk, i currently have 3 1 full time(shifts though) 1 after school for 4 days and new 1 for 2 days, was happy with this as meant we were getting by, now today new one, 2 days is stopping as of November and may only want odd days when not in wales, so now looking again:(

Ive got some leaflets i can put through doors but not sure how effective this is? im on the net and in the past shop windows havent been that effective either

Annelize
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a facebook page, my own free website with Weebly.com, all the free adds with like yell.com, thomson etc, i'm also on google. I also did some leaflets that was put up at local libraries, hospital notice boards, playgroups, children centres etc.
Hope this helps. I have to say it comes in waves, and tend to get 2 or 3 parents contacting me in one week but then it could be nothing for a month or 2.

dolly daycare
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I have had most of my families through childcare.co.uk.

I have had a couple from leaflet drops round the local houses and one from my magnets on my car.

Hope that helps and good luck

rosebud
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Take the LO to a toddler group regularly (difficult for shift work) and let all the parents see how fantastic you are - make sure you tell them you're a childminder when you get into conversations and you'll be the first person they think of when they do need someone.

AliceK
12-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Most of mine come through the FIS
xxx

Velleity
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I got my baby though a postcard advertisment that I put in the window of a newsagent and the two year old is the sister of a boy in my son's class at school.

stardust
12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I have had most of my families through childcare.co.uk.

I have had a couple from leaflet drops round the local houses and one from my magnets on my car.

Hope that helps and good luck

Hey hun be careful with the car magnets, mine has faded my paint work!:panic: x

uf353432
12-10-2011, 06:42 PM
When I started I got my first contract from a contact I made at a breastfeeding group I attended. I got my next contract from recommendation to mum from the preschool manager my daughter attended. I sent one leaflet out with the village schools newsletter and a few people kept that for future reference. In nearly 3 yrs I have never had a contract from FIS or online advertising - every contract has been from networking within my local community and fellow professionals.

I run my local toddler group. I run a childminding group, I am the chair of the advisory board for my local chldrens centre. I work in partnership with the local school and preschool - and I mean closely - my website is even on the parents page of the schools website. As of today I have 27 kids on my books they have almost exclusively come from recommendation from another parent, the school, the preschool, the childrens centre, another childminder. But building up this kind of reputation has taken nearly 2yrs and its all come together nice and slowly - so get yourself out there - find out which childminders are fabulous in your area and work closely with them, make yourself known at toddler groups and childminding groups and the childrens centre. Make yourself known at the local schools and maintain and foster professional relationships - because they pay off!

fionamadcat
12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Most of mine have come from word of mouth, the village I live in everyone seems to know everyone and the other childminders will pass on phone numbers if they get an enquiry they don't have a space for. Make sure other minders have your details and try to chat to anyone you can about it either at toddler groups or if appropriate at the school gates.

LeeMarie
12-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I've got a number of mindees from FIS, childcare.co.uk and netsmums. But recommendations have found me a lot of mindees over the years. I've made a point of going to local toddler groups and making sure everyone knows I'm a childminder. I've also visited the local pre-schools to make sure they know about me and several of them keep my details to pass on to prospective parents. The other thing I tried, which was alot of work but the mindees loved doing, was a display of their work in the local library and used it to advertise at the same time.

Bitsy Beans
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I've got most of my enquiries via FIS TBH. I did a leaflet drop of local estate and turned up nothing :eek: Not one single enquiry!
I can't say I've had loads of enquiries via Childcare.co.uk either.

Do you know many of the local minders? I thing they can be invaluable source of work via word of mouth.

mushpea
12-10-2011, 08:44 PM
i have got one through advertising in the post office window,, 1 though my car magnets, three through recomendations, 1 cause I knew of a childminder finishing and she passed them on and a couple though childcare.

The Juggler
12-10-2011, 08:51 PM
met one at an antenatal clinic running at our childrens centre - it was on the same day as the drop in for CM's.

Other than that, most - no actually all - of mine have been word of mouth not advertising.

Tatjana
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Two through my card ads in shop windows and one through netmums.

Cazz
12-10-2011, 11:33 PM
My first two families both came from an advert on the childcare section of netmums.

I've had enquiries from childcare.co.uk and the FIS but the others have come from word of mouth or passed on from other childminders enquiries that they haven't been able to accommodate.

When I was very quiet a few months ago I put some cards in local shops etc and I also have a window sign in the back of my car that I purchased on E-bay.

Good luck - hope you manage to fill your spaces.

miffy
13-10-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm also on the FIS website but most of my work comes through word of mouth but then I've been minding for years in a village and lots of people know me, so tell everyone you meet you are a childminder and get yourself known to schools, playgroups etc in the area.

Good luck
Miffy xx

JCrakers
13-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Usually recommendations and the latest two came from Toddler group.
We had just sat down to listen to a story and I was listening in to a conversation a couple of Mums were having.
One said 'Im back to work in January and Im getting really worried that I cant find a childminder to have the children and pick up from the local school'

I was straight in there :laughing: She couldnt believe it and her two children are stating Jan.

loocyloo
13-10-2011, 12:13 PM
mine are from word of mouth & seeing me at toddlers & school ( with my childminder fleece/tshirts on! )

some have come through childcare.co.uk, even though they have then found my contact details elsewhere on the internet. i've had some email enquiries from my website. another child came through FIS.

i've had a couple of local ex-childminders recommend me, plus staff at local preschool & nursery. i know school have told parents to look on the notice board/in the playground! ( they can't officially recommend me over the other local childminder! )

the other local childminder says she passes my number on ... i've had one enquiry that way, but it came to nothing!

i've only been in my town for 6 mths and i didn't have anything for months, then suddenly it all came at once ( plus those that are with me, all want to increase their days :panic: and i don't think i can do it! )

i tell everyone what i do, and get involved in as much as i can, therefore meeting as many people as i can!!!

i do have fliers & business cards pinned up/in local shops, and i give almost everyone i meet my card :blush: !

georgie456
13-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I have had one come through Yellow pages about 3 years ago, but all the rest have been word of mouth or FIS. Majority are word of mouth though which is why getting yourself out there is so important. I attend a childminding toddler group which has been my biggest source!

sfox2003
13-10-2011, 12:32 PM
For the first time since starting to childmind, Im struggling to fill a vacancy.

I have advertised on Childcare.co.uk, in post offices, I have a website, Im in Yell & Thompson, I have posters in my car windows, I run my local toddler group, my local school put a letter out to all parents, Im linked to 2 childminding networks & 4 childrens centres. Ive had parents, friends & family keeping their ear out for people wanting childcare. Im also accredited & have been advertising the free 3 & 4 yr places.

Ive emailed about 20 people through childcare & only had one reply!!!!!!!! Previously the majority of my work has come through this. I cant understand why no one is replying!!! My husband suggested that maybe parents were being bombarded by childminders offering places. He may be right, I dont know.

I really dont know what else I can do. Its kind of affecting my morale now. You loose faith in yourself.

Good Luck filling your spaces x

LChurch
13-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I know how you feel, there are only so many things we can do to advertise and if people aren't contacting us it does get demoralising. Chin up!! Easier said than done!

Sarahforster
13-10-2011, 01:59 PM
All mine have been word of mouth or from playgroups etc. Get some flyers to all the playgroups and pre-schools and groups nearby and on your local school newsletter if you can. Posters up in shops too. good luck x