PDA

View Full Version : CM and pregnant

Annelize
12-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Any other pregnant childminders finding it a bit hard some days? My back is killing and over the last 2 weeks this week going for 3 weeks most of the little ones have had colds and coughs and is very sensitive needing being picked up and cuddled allot, this is killing my lower back and I'm only 22 weeks pregnant. However allot bigger with this pregnancy than my first one. Getting slightly worried what I will feel like when reaching over 30 weeks.
Financially I really need to work as long as I can at least end of December, baby due Feb. When do you ladies normally stop working when you are pregnant? Any childminders managed to keep going till the end?
I have 2 school children everyday (have to say they are great as they keep my little one busy most of the time), 2 under two's and my own 28 month old on a Monday and Wednesday and Tuesday and Thursday 1 under 1 and my 28 month old.
Thanks
xx

kindredspirits
12-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have been working all the way through. I did find it tough going at around 20-26 weeks. try and get your little ones to climb on to you for a cuddle rather than keep bending your lower back - or crouch so you keep straight - when the bump starts to get really prominant you can't bend over forwards anyway! ;)

With this baby I will be still working right up until baby is born and then I start back 2 weeks afterwards, we need the income but I do have DH as my assistant, and only 2 LO's currently in my care so its not like i am run off my feet.
DH told me today he thinks I've reached the blooming stage - I think I am just fed of up hearing myself moaning the same moan every day so I've given up! lol

if its too much, loose a mindee or take a few days off so you can have some time just to chill -remember you and your baby are most important so you must take care of yourself - i did go through a stage of going to bed at 8am every night for about a month, DH wasn't overly impressed but I was just dead on my feet by then. :D

Flisspaps
12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I am 13 weeks now, and may have to start ML at the end of January - my full timer leaves at Christmas as her mum goes on ML and one of my part-timers leaves at the end of the month. Come January I'll only have one child for 2 days a week, which will pay about half as much as Maternity Allowance will :(

I'm advertising like mad, and if I get someone in I'll only take between 2 and 9 weeks off but I don't get the feeling many people will consider a pregnant CM as it will mean disruption for them when I do have the baby as they'll have to find alternative childcare for that period - easier just to find someone who isn't going to be unavailable for a few weeks!

Physically I'm really very tired and still feeling rather sick from time to time (had morning sickness up to about 16/17 weeks first time round). I do worry that I'm not giving the children the best experience I can because I'm so tired which then makes me feel worse, but then if I overdo it then they're going to end up having an even less enjoyable time! I hate these early weeks!

pat75
12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi
I was pregnant last year dd3 born 24 October. Due day early November so went on maternity brake on the end of September. On most days had 3 - 2 year old or 2 - 2 years old and one 1.5 year old.
Likely my belly was small but still had problem with my back and hips.
Don't kill yourself and if possible go on maternity to enjoy time with your first child before another come.
Pat:)

rosebud
12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I was in labour whilst I was childminding! Baby was 3 weeks early so would have finished working that week anyway. Last minded child was picked up at 6pm and my daughter was born at 8.15pm!

Try to get LO's to walk (if they can) take things slowly and get them to climb into car seats and pushchairs wherever possible so you aren't lifting. Just take it as easy as you can, don't do arts & crafts (hard work) and if it gets really hard then maybe give notice to the very little one earlier so you can avoid the lifting.

munch149
12-10-2011, 12:38 PM
im 16 weeks and also find it hard at times. have cut down recently with one going to nursery most days which as helped, but like you find my back suffers. i have a non-walker so she needs carrying and shes not the lightest of children. told parents i was losing a day as of january tho so losing the youngest then so will just end up with one who i will continue with all the way through. just having the one four days a week is more than maternity allowance. will advertise for ad hoc work from january til due date in march.

vaughny82
12-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I worked up until Oct half term and my baby was due December. Would have liked to keep working longer but most of my under 5's were starting full time school after that half term so it worked out better for the parents. A CM nr me worked up until she had baby and was back at work 3 wks later, I couldn't do that - I planned to return at Easter when baby was 4 months old but didn't actually get any proper work until last month.

Nature'sKids!
13-10-2011, 06:52 AM
I wiled as a nanny for a 2 year old until December with baby die in february. It was my first pregnancy and I coped really well - I was running and felt brilliant all the way through.ysecond pregnancy was different - wasn't working and felt tired and achy just fom having my own to look after.
Maybe drop the little one like others have suggested?