PDA

View Full Version : Advice please anyone?

lady boss
13-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

I have just had a call from the mother of my 1 yr old mindee i have been minding for just over a month. She said she had just been trying to bath little one and he started screaming the place down scared to go in water. She just wanted to know if anything may have happened whilst he has been with me.
She also said he usually loves the water and he done this a few days ago too.
I said that nothing has happened whilst in my care, i havent even had the paddling pool out, i have only once done some water play with him, just had a bowl filled whilst he was in his high chair and we filled cups and emptied them, and he really enjoyed doing this. I cant help but feel like the finger is being pointed at me and i am now worrying what she thinks i may have done.
The only thing i can think is that maybe he is tired or he is now starting to associate bathtime bedtime next and he doesnt want to stop playing. Has anyone else had any time when they feel that the finger is being pointed? Also any idea why he now has a dislike to baths? I am going to be worrying now all evening!!
Thanks Guys xx

P.s They are a lovely family by the way, and have been really happy with my care x

Pipsqueak
13-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I would make a note of the conversation just for your records - perhaps you could get mum to sign it - so it makes her aware that you take notes, take what she says seriously etc etc (and it will cover you).

It sounds like mum is just exploring the possibilities and i think you could be right about young one associating.

Try not to take it personally (although I understand its hard and I would probably feel like that too).

xx

jaja
13-05-2008, 07:50 PM
my ds and dd went through this, one minute they loved the bath then the next they hated it and screamed the house down, its horrible but i think most children go through a phase like this at some point. I would reasure the parent that this might be a phase and not to worry, just try and make bath time more fun, maybe mummy could get in first or daddy or have a fave toy in the bath too, this phase passed within a couple of months with us.

good luck xxx

sarah707
13-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't take it personally!

It happens all the time and parents don't realise they leave us in a flat spin when they ask things like that!!

Hugs xx

lady boss
13-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks ladies, this is all still new to me and i am loving my new job, but after the call i have not been feeling so good! x

Tatia
13-05-2008, 08:13 PM
It's horrible when you feel your judgement has been questioned. I once had a parent who worried that the "fancy" foods (homemade mac n cheese) I was giving her daughter at lunchtime were making her throw up after dinner every night.:rolleyes: I suggested it could be because they chucked her straight in the bath after dinner and Daddy roughhoused with her the whole time!

Anyway, didn't mean to digress but I agree about making a few notes, asking Mum off-handedly would she read and sign if she felt it was an acurate description of discussion and the promptly forget about it. Some days, I feel like childminder of the year and other days I'm sure everyone thinks I'm the pits!:)

mrsb
13-05-2008, 08:16 PM
yes definately make a note of it, if it was me I would also say to the mum when she next drops off that I had been thinking about it and thought I would try and encourage water play fo now on so they associate it with fun etc maybe?

lady boss
13-05-2008, 08:58 PM
thank you all for your kind words and advice.how would I word the note?what should I say to parent on reason I am putting this in writing? X

Pipsqueak
13-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Time and Date
Method of conversation (ie phone call)

Parent enquired is anything significant had happened at setting during day with XX(child)xx - due to the fact that xx appears to be upset during his bathtime.
Record what mum said/you said

signed you date
signed parent date

you could just say that due to Mums concern/phone call you have noted the discussion as you would do any concerns that parents have and could she just sign to say that it is an accurate recording.

This will help you plan relevant activities that may help the child, avoid further distress, implement interests, find triggers etc. Part of your obs.

berkschick
13-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Each of my 4 children has gone through this!

I think it is a normal thing they go through like being clingy when Mum/carer leaves the room etc.

Good idea to note it all down but try not to worry too much.

Rubybubbles
15-05-2008, 01:51 PM
just found your op! should of read first
agree with everyone of this x

cherryt
15-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Very good advice to make a note, it also shows the parent that you are a professional and record all concerns.

I am inclined to agree that the child is associating bath time with bed and does not want to start the bedtime routine until later because 'its still light outside and I want to play'

My youngest daughter screamed the place down if you took her near the bath but was happy to take a shower (with me) from a very early age.

flora
15-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Hannah loved her bath from day one day then all of a sudden she would scream and try to climb out!!!

No trauma involved, no near misses while I was trying to bath her, nothing!!

Now she has a shower and all is well in the world again :D