PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion please... what would YOU do?

Demonjill
11-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi folks

Ive had an enquiry (woop woop) but its only for 1 day a week - well i say day its a pick up from local pre school at 11.30 and look after until 4pm - but its for twins! 4 yo

Parent only really needs 1 day every other week but has said she will do this day every week so its more for me. There could be the possibility for it to be 2 days a week but that would be max i think.

So im trying to think yes it would be fab to get started minding
but its only 1 day a week
but i could turn this down for no one else to come along
or i could take this on for better incomes to pop along as soon as i have signed ie full timers
but i know some peeps never get full timers

"sigh" what would you do????:rolleyes: :blush:

As some of you know i still am working - if i could sort my job just now to have the same day off every week then i could keep doing my job and take on this contract.......ooh ma head is bouncing with all thoughts..lol

please help and feel free to throw anything my way that ive not thought of good or bad:thumbsup:

miffy
11-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I would think this was worth considering as it's for two children even though only for one day a week but I don't work full time so I can see what you mean about having to turn away full timers if you take this on.

I'd also see about the possibility of keeping your job on for a while to see if this works out.

Good luck
Miffy xx

Demonjill
11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Miffy:thumbsup:

If i stay in my present job and do this 1 day minding i would get more extra money than if i did the equivalent extra day at my present job IYSWIM an extra tenner to be exact.:rolleyes:

Is there a way to explain my predicament to this parent without sounding harsh and scaring them away? lol
:idea: Could i have 1 weeks notice instead of 4 so could end things easier/quicker if something better comes along? - ooh that sounds bad......aggghhhh:blush:

Tatjana
11-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Miffy:thumbsup:

If i stay in my present job and do this 1 day minding i would get more extra money than if i did the equivalent extra day at my present job IYSWIM an extra tenner to be exact.:rolleyes:

Is there a way to explain my predicament to this parent without sounding harsh and scaring them away? lol
:idea: Could i have 1 weeks notice instead of 4 so could end things easier/quicker if something better comes along? - ooh that sounds bad......aggghhhh:blush:

Why don't you do 2 weeks notice, that's what I do.

Mrs Pootle
12-10-2011, 05:57 AM
If it was me, I would deifinitely do it. This is how I started with a school nursery pick up for one child two days a week. Yes it wasn't much money, and there was no chance of days increasing to more.

However, on the plus side, it was work, and more importantly it got me seen at school as a childminder, rather than as a mum which was how most people knew me.

It generated so much more work for me, as I really tried to promote myself whilst standing outside nursery waiting to collect. I would get into conversation with the adults and found another childminder I didn't know who I now see on a regular basis:) I also have had a lot of enquiries, mostly part-time, for school nursery pick-ups, but the hours all add up.

If you can manage to arrange the day your family want around your other job, I would say it is a near perfect arrangment. Go for it :thumbsup:

mushpea
12-10-2011, 06:00 AM
I have taken people on like this before and explaind the situation and only offered one weeks notice to end the contract and they have accepted

uf353432
12-10-2011, 01:00 PM
When I first started in minding I had this exact scenario (without the additional job to supplement income) I procrastinated and worried about taking on part hours for this first contract and in the end I decided to just go for it.

In 3 years I have never had the enquiry for a full time placement, I now have 23 kids on my books 7 of which are in the early years and 3 of those are accredited. All their hours have slotted in around each others hours with the help of a variation here and there. It just works out .

I now take every enquiry on a first come first served basis.

Beccles26
12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Take it take it take it!!!! i would love to have some interest even if it is just one day

fionamadcat
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I would do it, I've been registered since May and don't have any full time kids but from january will be nearly full just with part timers. I think being seen out and about as a childminder has really helped.

Demonjill
12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
The parent is coming around for a visit on Friday morning to discuss things further.:thumbsup:

I am waiting to talk to my superviser at work to see if it is possible to get the same day off every week - may need to tell a wee white lie:( ( as they have no idea i will be leaving) Any ideas of any wee white lies - not that I think you are all good liars lol:eek:

Helcatt
12-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I would also take it!

I have only just signed up my second full timer - I had one on a short term contract while I was pregnant and that was over 3 years ago and the new one starts in January

Most of my mindees are part time, either one or two days a week and all slot in around one another. I would love full-timers as it is one lot of paperwork rather than 3 but hey, thats life.

Good luck

HX

littlegremlins
12-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I would do it. I had an ideal of how I wanted to work and that basically went out the window and I went with what came along and decided to try that out. Anyhow, it has gone from strength to strength. From acorns do oak trees grow.

Cazz
12-10-2011, 11:39 PM
The parent is coming around for a visit on Friday morning to discuss things further.:thumbsup:

I am waiting to talk to my superviser at work to see if it is possible to get the same day off every week - may need to tell a wee white lie:( ( as they have no idea i will be leaving) Any ideas of any wee white lies - not that I think you are all good liars lol:eek:

I would take it as well to get you started but be careful how you word things to the parent - she may be put off if she thinks you're going to give her notice if something better comes along.

With regards to your little white lie - do you have children of your own? If so, you could maybe say that you've been let down with childcare and need to have that day off each week? NOT that I can condone lying of course!!

Good luck with your meeting on Friday!

Lick'le Oakes
13-10-2011, 05:38 AM
can you say "family committments" as your not lying then, it is your family committing to these children.

As for friday, good luck, and I would take it definately, you never know whats round the corner and getting out and about with them will certainly get you more buisness, xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
13-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I think it needs to fit in with your life and your finances

Personally I would only take it at a full days pay for each, presuming she wants you in the holidays and if you are happy with every other week then I would ask for a 50% retainer for the week they don't come

Libby08
13-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Do you have other vacancies in case a full timer shows up or are these your only vacancies? Also is it the same day each week as lots of mums go back to work part time so you could fill the other days? I reg in dec 10 and got nothing for ages then finaly got 2 full timers in august 11 just as I was about to give up, now im turning people away. Once you get out and about with these two you'll get loads of calls.
if you could get the day off work that would be perfect id say your helping out a desperate friend/family with childcare who has no one else maybe?

VeggieSausage
13-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I would take it, I took on a one day a weeker and then took on a 3 day a weeker on other days so I think of that as one space filled if you see what I mean, in my experience of minding people want all sorts of hours and times and you will fill in whatever space you get....and they may increase their hours....

Demonjill
13-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I would take it as well to get you started but be careful how you word things to the parent - she may be put off if she thinks you're going to give her notice if something better comes along.

With regards to your little white lie - do you have children of your own? If so, you could maybe say that you've been let down with childcare and need to have that day off each week? NOT that I can condone lying of course!!

Good luck with your meeting on Friday!

Thanks Cazz

tbh I have had much more interest ( touch wood) this time around than last time - I live in a village where most people use family for childcare but new houses are bringing new families this time think its making a difference. So im glad of any interest so will be very careful what i say.:rolleyes:

As for the little white lie yes i have kids of my own but boss knows this and would just give me school hours if i said this lol:( Thing is they have no idea i will be leaving .....yet;)

Demonjill
13-10-2011, 10:42 PM
can you say "family committments" as your not lying then, it is your family committing to these children.

As for friday, good luck, and I would take it definately, you never know whats round the corner and getting out and about with them will certainly get you more buisness, xxx

Thanks

hmmmm family commitments hmmmmmm that could be a possibility

I am pretty sure i will take it - hopefully the mum turns up tomorrow :rolleyes:

Demonjill
13-10-2011, 10:45 PM
I think it needs to fit in with your life and your finances

Personally I would only take it at a full days pay for each, presuming she wants you in the holidays and if you are happy with every other week then I would ask for a 50% retainer for the week they don't come

That sounds like a business head Debbie i do understand what you are saying and maybe when things build up i will be able to implement things like this.
But....things are quiet round here and tbh im just grateful for people to be contacting me ( after all ive only put my details on childcare.co.uk 2 weeks ago) im also just wanting to get anything on board asap really so cant afford to scare people away lol:p

Demonjill
13-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Do you have other vacancies in case a full timer shows up or are these your only vacancies? Also is it the same day each week as lots of mums go back to work part time so you could fill the other days? I reg in dec 10 and got nothing for ages then finaly got 2 full timers in august 11 just as I was about to give up, now im turning people away. Once you get out and about with these two you'll get loads of calls.
if you could get the day off work that would be perfect id say your helping out a desperate friend/family with childcare who has no one else maybe?

Ah Libby I like your idea helping that desperate friend ... and would also prepare my work for the notice getting handed in in due course if they already knew i was doing childcare( they know nothing at moment as they would make my life difficult :rolleyes: )

I have all my other vacancies - my own children are 7 and 14 so still have all 3 pre school places and 1 school age:thumbsup:

Yes it is every thursday she would need :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
14-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I would take it, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

The parent is thinking of you by having both weeks and to be honest full time children are very hard to come by (although saying that almost all of mine have been full time but I believe I'm in the minority).

PLUS: twins get lots of attention which means lots of parents noticing you and talking to you, it is very easy to drop into conversation that 'you are their childminder' and 'would you like a card in case you need one at short notice or know somebody that needs one'.

Besides you never know what is going to come up, I have one child for just a morning but never thought I'd fill his afternoon, I had an enquiry yesterday for the afternoon...

BUT I personally wouldn't do it and then dump them when something better comes along. These children are human beings and will have to spend time adjusting to a different home, people etc only to have that taken from them and have to start again... Only my opinion of course but I hope a valid one. x

Demonjill
14-10-2011, 09:49 AM
I would take it, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

The parent is thinking of you by having both weeks and to be honest full time children are very hard to come by (although saying that almost all of mine have been full time but I believe I'm in the minority).

PLUS: twins get lots of attention which means lots of parents noticing you and talking to you, it is very easy to drop into conversation that 'you are their childminder' and 'would you like a card in case you need one at short notice or know somebody that needs one'.

Besides you never know what is going to come up, I have one child for just a morning but never thought I'd fill his afternoon, I had an enquiry yesterday for the afternoon...

BUT I personally wouldn't do it and then dump them when something better comes along. These children are human beings and will have to spend time adjusting to a different home, people etc only to have that taken from them and have to start again... Only my opinion of course but I hope a valid one. x

That is a good point and tbh I dont think i could just "dump" them if something else did come along - its not my style! lol

I am grateful and pleasantly surprised that this parent seems to be (so far) thinking of me and very understanding and polite sounds like a great parent to work with:thumbsup: - there are some out there lol

Thats fab news about your enquiry - fingers for you