PDA

View Full Version : Renting a property for Childminding

natalia45
11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Hello Everyone!

If anyone has rented a property other than their own home to Childmind, can you please explain to me how you did it. Also what are the pitfuls of renting etc. Thanks!:)

Chatterbox Childcare
11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
When I looked into it I was told that unless someone was living there it is a business and my business rates were £30000 on their own so I didn't bother.

You would need to have the premises Ofsted inspected and that means another number and another inspection if you wanted to keep you own home registered too

Lady Haha
11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I would say the biggest pitfall of renting a property to use for childminding instead of your home is that you would never earn enough to pay the rent and bills on your childminding property!

By far, the best thing financially about this job is the minimum amount of overheads!:laughing:

tulip0803
11-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with the others. The definition of childminding is that it is done from a home that is lived in. If a property was used solely for child care and not as a residential property it would be liable for business rates and business rubbish collections, change of use from domestic to business premises etc. With the small numbers of children that a childminder can care for you would never be able to cover you overheads.