PDA

View Full Version : Would you let even your OWN child do this?

Ripeberry
11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Sometimes I'm amazed at what my 3yr old mindee is allowed to do at home and when out and about.

I mentioned on this forum about the time he was 2yrs old, he knew how to move a chair to the kitchen units and grab hold of carving knives. :eek:

The latest 'trick' is to take his mum's keys, open the drivers door, stand on the driver's seat and start the car :eek:
He then gets down and 'pumps' the accelarator.

All I could say to him was "Oh, J, you are far too clever" :rolleyes:

My own kids are 6 and 9 and I don't let them have my car keys, much less start the engine.

But then each to their own :cool:

Tink
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Where is Mum whilst he is doing this :eek: I don't let my husband near my car let alone a child, how dangerous.
Some parents just don't see the dangers.

rosebud
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Erm - NO! :panic:

AliceK
11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
What!!!!! :angry:

No way would any child whatever their age be allowed to do this when they were with me. Silly woman (mum).

xxxx

pears
11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
unbelievably stupid!:(

Pipsqueak
11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
absolutely not no.

Parents can be prosecuted for the child starting up the car!!!!

babs
11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
One little one I have Nan picks up lets her have keys and she trys putting them in car door as she is only small misses and scratches paint Nan then opens door and lets little one who kicks off have keys again to put ingition at this point I am normally in house. no way would I allowed I have said something in past like oh next she will be driving off... Don't agree in encouraging children to play with dangerous things. Some people really don't think its a problem if your child likes doing things like this then buy them a toy or make a box with locks on it give them some keys to try in locks. sorry I'm rambling ..

Splodge
11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I had a little one about 6 years ago, he was 3 yrs old, and his mum on the first day he came, picked him up and got in the car and put him on her knee, started the car and started to pull away from my driveway.

I knocked on the car window and told her that it was illegal and that the police wouldn't be too impressed if they saw her doing that, so she put him in his car seat but didn't fasten him in as he didn't like being fastened in and i explained that he hadn't objected to being fastened in, in my car. She also said that she didn't believe it was illegal as she had never been pulled over by the police for it. She was quite happy to have me fasten him in and he didn't object. she also said she wouldn't do it again.

This was at the end of the day, and a few minutes later my cousin turns up for a cup of tea and says she has just seen this amazingly neglectful parent driving in the car and letting her son sit on her knee and steer the car. She had obviously stopped the car and put him on her knee just after leaving me.

The police had seen her do this and pulled her over straight away. She was really angry but realised she had been seen by the police but couldn't understand why it was illegal. She did stop but continued to take other risks and was a generally unstable parent and i ended up giving notice and she moved away.

I will never understand the mentality of some people. :panic: :mad:

Helen79
11-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Totally stupid. She's not just risking her own child but other people's lives if he works out how to take the hand brake off and it rolls into the road or a path.

Ripeberry
11-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Where is Mum whilst he is doing this :eek: I don't let my husband near my car let alone a child, how dangerous.
Some parents just don't see the dangers.

The mum was strapping the baby in the back of the car, I usually go out to the car with them to put the bags in the boot (when I don't have any other mindees)

Ripeberry
11-10-2011, 03:32 PM
One little one I have Nan picks up lets her have keys and she trys putting them in car door as she is only small misses and scratches paint Nan then opens door and lets little one who kicks off have keys again to put ingition at this point I am normally in house. no way would I allowed I have said something in past like oh next she will be driving off... Don't agree in encouraging children to play with dangerous things. Some people really don't think its a problem if your child likes doing things like this then buy them a toy or make a box with locks on it give them some keys to try in locks. sorry I'm rambling ..

Just what I thought, I can just imagine him trying to drive off one day when he is strong enough to take off the handbrake. Thank goodness they don't have an automatic car!

TheBTeam
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Some people just dont have the brains they were born with, and unfortunately if often takes something awful to make them realise!

:angry:

I dont let my 9 year old climb on chairs to reach in the kitchen, they can not reach for a reason!

As for starting the car, i dont let anyone start a car without everyone in, doors closed and strapped in!

blue bear
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Silly silly woman, she needs a parenting class and learn to take charge if her children. What is the child going to be like when he's a teenager I'd he already does what he likes now! She is taking the 'easy' option instead if taking control and urging discipline into action.

Ripeberry
11-10-2011, 04:26 PM
She is not as bad as the dad. He can't stand to see him cry, so lets him do what he wants. He does try to strop with me sometimes, but he knows that I won't let him get away with it.
His latest thing is to 'demand' what he wants for lunch and if it's not what he wants he says 'yuck!'
I just ignore it and take it away and he has to sit there until the others have finished, but it can be difficult as one other 1yr old mindee is copying his saying 'yuck'.

My meals are not that bad :littleangel:

little chickee
11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
The mum was strapping the baby in the back of the car, I usually go out to the car with them to put the bags in the boot (when I don't have any other mindees)

OMG it gets worse!!!:eek: :eek:

So snmall child has started the car and is pumping the throttle while mum is putting baby in the carseat!!!!:eek:

What about if he lets off the handbrake - car takes off, mum gets run over, baby might not be safely in carseat and will fall out of carseat/ car, small child is at the wheel!!!!

I am not often shocked to the core but this mum needs a ****** good slap!
Im afraid that i would be having very firm words with her and would not allow it on or outside my driveway.

flora
11-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Words fail me and that doesnot happen often.

What stupid stupid people :angry:

breezy
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I cant believe people would rather put their kids at risk than say "no" and upset the little "cherubs":angry:

ChocolateChip
11-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Well, words fail me :eek:

Can she honestly not see the dangers :panic:

I don't allow my kids to even sit in the drivers seat, let alone play around with controls and keys!
Feel a new policy coming on- not allowing children to leave with parents who are under the influence of stupidity :laughing:
Well, it would be funny if it weren't quite so dangerous. :(

PixiePetal
11-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't drive but there is no way I would have a child do this if I did!

when I was a nanny I went to France with the family and another family (friends of theirs - just the mums and kids) Loading the cars to go back to the ferry the other mum let her 2 and 4 yr old play in the car - 2 yr old in driving seat, 4 yr old in passenger seat. 2 yr old let hand brake off and we all watched (mums ran too) as the car rolled backwards down the gently sloping lane and backwards down a 'ravine' :eek: We saw their scared faces at the window. It went out of sight and was only stopped about 30 feet down by a fallen tree.

Luckily all were ok - car was a bit of a mess and had to be pulled out by a tow truck but we even made the ferry