PDA

View Full Version : Night Terrors in the Day

Tealady
11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Just had a strange few minutes with mindee.

He'd been asleep for about half an hour when he just started crying really hard. I went in to see him and he was all curled up as if a sleep but was bawling his eyes out. It was just like when my daughter used to get night terrors. I treated it as such but in the end I did pick him up but he was clearly still in a sleep like state. I put him back down and it shortly ended as suddenly as it started, again very night terror like.

Can Night Terrors happen during the day? It also seemed to soon in his sleep cycle for this to happen.

sarah707
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Have parents noticed anything at home? It sounds like he's worrying about something :(

little chickee
11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I would imagine that "night" terrors could occur any time the child was sleeping. I shouldnt think its the night time that sets them off.

FussyElmo
11-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I suffer from nightmares and if i sleep in the day i can have a nightmare its more unusual.

I have also fell asleep at 10 and be awake at quarter past 10 having a nightmare - I do feel like I have been asleep for hours.

Poor thing and yes they are more frequent when you are worried or stressed over stuff :thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-10-2011, 08:26 PM
how old is mindee hon. my baby mindee cries in her sleep when her teeth are bothering her. sometimes I rub her back sometimes she just goes back off herself but she is def. fast asleep.

but if he is dreaming, as someone said, bad dreams can be whenever and doesn't necessarily means he's sad or stressed just having a bad dream.:thumbsup: i would just mention to mum :)

chez
11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes they can.
We have had 3 children who suffer from night terrors at diffrent times but all during midday sleeps.

E is one of them and I babysit for her she has them then too. Mummy and daddy didnt know what they were and hadnt warned me as they thought she had just been naughty waking up in the past.

Id put her to bed at 7pm by 7.15 she was screaming went upstairs and she was wondering around the room screaming eyes open like something was in the room. Coached her back to bed but she lied there screaming til she finally calmed 25 mins later. Bless her heart.

Tealady
12-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Mindee is 14 months. I spoke to Dad at pick-up and he just said of yes he does wake at night sometimes. His Mum then put in his daily diary that he does suffer Night Terrors.

Night Terrors, thankfully, are completely different to Nightmares and are related to sleep walking. The sufferer is unaware of what is happening and doesn't remember it when they wake up. If you inadvertantly wake or disterb them it can make the crying escalate. That's why I wanted to be sure it was night terrors and not anything else. I wasn't sure wether to pick him up or just stroke his head and keep an eye on him

Velleity
12-10-2011, 04:20 PM
My five month old screams when she is still asleep during her day naps.
Was terrifying the first time it happened!