PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Babies please

Penny1959
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
A challenge for you clever lot

I have been asked to come up with some ideas for christmas crafts / activities for babies (so under 2's) for a childminders conference in Worcestershire - delighted that I have been asked but struggling to come up with enough ideas to fill a one hour workshop.

These have to be be things that the child can do mainly unaided (although of course supervised)- so things where they need to stick things in the right place or to do clear hand or foot prints that adults then make into something are not that suitable for this workshop.

I am thinking things like rolling large plain balls (non breakable) in a mixture of pva glue, paint and glitter to make a tree decoration.

Giving babies large sheets of paper on floor or in a paddling pool and letting them paint in christmas colours (either a mixture or different colours on different occassions) (babies either in just nappies or one of those washable all in one suits that use in the forest) then when dried adult to cut out some christmas shapes as an end product - but main point to make a photographic record of the painting and maybe at the end pop on a santa hat for a final photo that could be used to make a christmas card or calander.

Activites are a bit easier - christmas treasure basket, christmas lights / decorations to lie and look at, jingle bells etc to play with, smelly socks with christmas smells,

So if you have any good ideas please let me know - and if you want credit for the idea on the handout - tell me.

Penny :)

Pipsqueak
11-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Hand/Foot prints in paint/photocopy

Make a 'basic' snowman - papercup or kitchen roll tube.. stick on cotton wool and googly eyes and sticks for arms

use doilies to make snowflakes - paint/colour through the holes...

rosebud
11-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Christmas coloured playdough with glitter in and christmas cutters. Christmas cards with handprints in christmas colours - red, green, gold and silver - if they can't do clear handprints and its a blurry mess then a photo of the child could be added once they're dry.

Polly2
11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Black card white paint

snowy finger painting :)

singingcactus
11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Maybe if you have some prebaked saltdough christmas shapes the babies can scribble on them with marker pens, or if you fancy paint. Adult could add ribbon later to hang on trees.

Maybe some contact paper tapes to a desk and some christmas coloured 'stuff' (would say confetti but can't cos of choking hazard) to drop onto it, cover with a second sheet of contact paper, to make stained window decs. You can even cut out a carboard window frame for adult to add around it if you want, or star shape etc.

You might be able to get the babies to help add glitter to the glycerine/water mix to make snow globes.

It hard to get a product out of such young children - this is why I hate crafts so much for children. Too much pressure on babies to perform and too much pressure on provider to create beautiful 'childmade' product.

rosebud
11-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Just remembered - what about that snow stuff that you add water to and it gets bigger, can't remember what its called. Parents will have to supervise to make sure it doesnt get eaten though. Oh and Ice - I like using sand moulds to make ice into different shapes or you could just do plain old ice cubes in a big tray for them to explore. I think I'm on a roll now, I might be back....

Penny1959
11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Loving the ideas - keep them coming

And I agree singingcactus - end products come with a BIG warning - should not be done by the adult - I much prefer things that do not have an end product - but I do understand that parents would like something that their child had had an active part in making especially on occassions that are important to them as a family. Your idea off the sticky paper to make stained window effect decorations is fab.

And Polly2 I do like idea of the white finger paint on black card - and if baby could then stick a snowman precut .prepared shape on somewhere on the picture (would not matter which way up as can just turm the the picture) you would have a lovely picture that could be used at Christmas time but also at other times or for thos families that do not celebrate Christmas.

Rosebud - ice - lovely idea - and they could wear gloves if found too cold

Pipsqueak the doillie idea great - think might have to stick down on table to help babies keep it in one place - but it is something they can do themselves.

Thank you everyone

Penny :)

LeeMarie
11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
We've made Christmas wreaths before. Green hand prints all over a large circle with red thumb/finger prints for berries. In the middle the children stuck on this rhyme which I found somewhere.

My hand made this wreath,
My thumb made each berry.
I hope that you have
A Christmas that is merry.

Toothfairy
12-10-2011, 06:39 AM
We've made Christmas wreaths before. Green hand prints all over a large circle with red thumb/finger prints for berries. In the middle the children stuck on this rhyme which I found somewhere.

I hope that you have

I like that idea :thumbsup:

angeldelight
12-10-2011, 06:49 AM
My babies enjoyed making lots of snow last year

We used shaving foam mixed with white glue and the babies just got right in there mixing it with their fingers and wooden spoons, it even peaks if you want it too

We also used icing sugar for sensory play making it look like snow

I think you have heaps of great ideas yourself though Penny

I am sure you will have a great day

Angel xx

miss mopple
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Non messy mark making- ziplock bag with christmas colours of paint in it and glitter. Tape to the table and let babies squish and poke it etc

lottieslittlelambs
28-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Non messy mark making- ziplock bag with christmas colours of paint in it and glitter. Tape to the table and let babies squish and poke it etc

Love this idea!! x

mayberry
29-10-2011, 05:24 AM

love this to..

or you can use ziplock bag with Hair gel Christmas sequins/glitter
Dawnx

mama2three
29-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Different shaped and sized boxes wrapped in xmas paper for stacking , building etc was a favorite here last year. Also a few of the boxes wrapped so the lids can come off , they loved using these with the baubles and beads , transferring them in and out of the boxes. Also a mini tree on the floor at their level so they can put off and take off the decs , beads etc.

miffy
29-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Different shaped and sized boxes wrapped in xmas paper for stacking , building etc was a favorite here last year. Also a few of the boxes wrapped so the lids can come off , they loved using these with the baubles and beads , transferring them in and out of the boxes. Also a mini tree on the floor at their level so they can put off and take off the decs , beads etc.

I love the boxes idea - pinching for this year! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

jumping j
29-10-2011, 07:56 AM

I hope that you have

I love this little poem, could be a good gift:)

miffy
29-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Hand and foot print reindeer - either painted or drawn round onto card.

Footprint is the head, hand prints are the antlers then decorate with googly eyes and red pom pom for nose.

Miffy xx

walker1982
30-10-2011, 09:23 PM

I really like this idea think this will be one i borrow x

avril
03-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Hand and foot print reindeer - either painted or drawn round onto card.

Footprint is the head, hand prints are the antlers then decorate with googly eyes and red pom pom for nose.

Miffy xx

try painting the hand or foot in glue print onto paper and then sprinkle with glitter. ;)