PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an "ethos"?

Nature'sKids!
10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm planningto go along a "natural" route (coulda guessed that probably lol)

Cloth nappies, organic vegetarian food, outdoor time as often as possible etc

uf353432
10-10-2011, 09:18 PM
my own parenting style is natural route - I am a BW, cloth nappy, Breastfeeding mummy...as a childminder I support all parents (cloth and disposable, BF and formula, etc.)

I strongly beleive that outdoor play in all weathers is paramount to happy kids.
I home cook everything from scratch, talk to children without using a baby voice and ask lots of questions from them to guage what they want to do - I beleive in free play, letting kids lead and I also beleive in firm straight forward and clear and simple boundaries. I treat all children ith respect and ask the same in return towards me and each other.I beleive in fairness. Most of my parents are ike me in this respect - the other stuff is just semantics.

Twinkles
10-10-2011, 09:43 PM
We have a very outdoorsy setting. I always warn parents that their children will get grubby here as we believe in letting them explore the natural environment.

We also believe in good home cooked food and are at the moment looking at ways to reduce our use of chemicals in cleaning products.

So basically - good food - fresh air and exercise. And the freedom to just be kids !

Nature'sKids!
10-10-2011, 10:21 PM
We have a very outdoorsy setting. I always warn parents that their children will get grubby here as we believe in letting them explore the natural environment.

We also believe in good home cooked food and are at the moment looking at ways to reduce our use of chemicals in cleaning products.

So basically - good food - fresh air and exercise. And the freedom to just be kids !

Sound good!

Flisspaps
11-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Twinkles there is very little that cannot be cleaned using white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda or just good old washing up liquid.

For cleaning the floors, a steam mop uses just water (although if you're going down an eco-route then you need to consider the electricty usage, although that may balance out against the gas you'd use heating up water for a conventional mop bucket!).

I try to avoid using chemicals if I can - one immediate plus point of not having them around means that little hands can't get to them!

Helen79
11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Twinkles there is very little that cannot be cleaned using white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda or just good old washing up liquid.

For cleaning the floors, a steam mop uses just water (although if you're going down an eco-route then you need to consider the electricty usage, although that may balance out against the gas you'd use heating up water for a conventional mop bucket!).

we use vinegar and bicarb too :thumbsup: Mixing tea tree or lavender oil with water makes a good anti-bac spray and orange oil cleans up grease off the hob.

rosebud
11-10-2011, 08:24 AM
we use vinegar and bicarb too :thumbsup: Mixing tea tree or lavender oil with water makes a good anti-bac spray and orange oil cleans up grease off the hob.

I assume the tea tree and lavender oil spray is good for cleaning toys but what do you use for cleaning things like changing mats where there will be lots of germs?

Nature'sKids!
11-10-2011, 08:32 AM

I try to avoid using chemicals if I can - one immediate plus point of not having them around means that little hands can't get to them!

I use tescos own natural cleaning range for most things.
Vinegar with essential oils like tea tree (antibacterial) works well too!
I MUST get a steammop! Why oh why have I never thought about it before?? Kitchen and playroom are tiled, as is the entrance hallway and they get mucky so often. *thankyou* for reminding me! :)

Nature'sKids!
11-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I assume the tea tree and lavender oil spray is good for cleaning toys but what do you use for cleaning things like changing mats where there will be lots of germs?

Clean it down with HOT water once a day which kills germs too, along with tea tree that should be fine.
Also, you could use a small towel for each child and place it on the mat before using it?
You could search online for ready made natural antibacterial sprays.
I found a natural antibacterial hand sanitised just a couple of weeks ago, which I use when out and about.

Twinkles
11-10-2011, 08:40 AM
I use tescos own natural cleaning range for most things.
Vinegar with essential oils like tea tree (antibacterial) works well too!
I MUST get a steammop! Why oh why have I never thought about it before?? Kitchen and playroom are tiled, as is the entrance hallway and they get mucky so often. *thankyou* for reminding me! :)

Thanks for that. Will try the tea tree oil spray.

A steam mop is on my wish list !

Can you please put up a link for the hand sanitiser ? This is something I use all the time and would love a more natural one.

Helen79
11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Can you please put up a link for the hand sanitiser ? This is something I use all the time and would love a more natural one.

I think Holland and Barrat sell one. Here's a recipe I've got for one, I've never tried it though
250ml of Aloe Vera Gel
5-10ml of Witch Hazel Hydrolat
3-4 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
3-4 drops of Peppermint essential oil

Flisspaps
11-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Lavender, Tea Tree and White Vinegar are all natural anti-bacterial agents.

You don't need to use harsh, expensive cleaning products, despite what the big anti-bac manufacturers would have you believe. Anyway, as NaturesKids says, a good wash with hot soapy water is enough to kill germs and it gets any actual dirt off as well (whereas anti-bac just kills germs, it doesn't remove dirt)

Nature'sKids!
11-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for that. Will try the tea tree oil spray.

A steam mop is on my wish list !

Its called quash and it's a spray, I bought it online

watgem
15-10-2011, 05:14 PM
thank you for sharing all these lovely environmentally friendly ideas, they would probably be good for those with allergies too?

Nature'sKids!
15-10-2011, 07:01 PM
thank you for sharing all these lovely environmentally friendly ideas, they would probably be good for those with allergies too?

It was my sons allergies that made me make the move away from chemicals - everything from creams, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, ... To toilet cleaner is natural based

watgem
16-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm going to try and switch, my kids and hubby have asthma and spray cleaners set poor hubby off, so have been looking on different websites for ideas as well, thank you everyone for sharing.

WibbleWobble
16-10-2011, 01:44 PM
yes

1 to stay sane and not hit the bottle before all of the mindees have gone home.

2 not swear until the above happens

3 not kill anyone

those are my ethosessssesssssseeesssssss or is that ethi?

mandy xxx

Nature'sKids!
16-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm going to try and switch, my kids and hubby have asthma and spray cleaners set poor hubby off, so have been looking on different websites for ideas as well, thank you everyone for sharing.

If you have any questions or need anadvice (ds has asthma too) pm me :)

juelmer
27-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi,

If you're looking to use less chemicals and go the natural route which I did about a year ago you could check out my Facebook page where I sell Aloe Vera and Bee Products. One new product that has just been realised is a Hand sanitizer which doesn't dry your hands or smell of chemicals. I am also running a competition at the moment to win an aluminium free deodorant.

juliesaloe (https://www.facebook.com/juliesaloe)

Forgot to say that Forum members get 15% discount

mushpea
27-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I used to have a steam mop but it broke and I never replaced it because my mum said 'well where does the dirt go, surley it just gets pushed around the floor' and i can see her point as with a n ormal mop you rinse it in the buckent so I have gone back to mop and buckett with bleach but please somoone convince me the steam mop is more hygenic!!

Monkey26
27-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I used to have a steam mop but it broke and I never replaced it because my mum said 'well where does the dirt go, surley it just gets pushed around the floor' and i can see her point as with a n ormal mop you rinse it in the buckent so I have gone back to mop and buckett with bleach but please somoone convince me the steam mop is more hygenic!!

I would be interested in this answer as i have been toying with the idea of getting a steam mop...!! xx

TooEarlyForGin?
27-02-2012, 07:24 PM
yes

3 not kill anyone

mandy xxx

Are you me????????? :D

winstonian
27-02-2012, 09:26 PM
yes

3 not kill anyone

mandy xxx

LOVE IT:laughing:

primula
27-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Funny Parsleypetal:laughing:

flowerpots
28-02-2012, 06:27 AM
yes

3 not kill anyone

mandy xxx

:laughing:

mindingmummy08
28-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm trying to put a real sensory spin on my setting, I'm swapping my continuous provision out this year for 4 sensory baskets 1 wooden, 1 metal, 1 wooden instruments and 1 fabric. I'm changing my plastic ELC kicthen for wooden and my dressing up box for found objects in charity shops like handbags, hats, plain white long shirts etc to promote imaginative play as opposed to 5 superhero and 5 princess outfits in each size lol.

My plastic toys will still be out each day on a rotation basis and every day there will be some sort of sensory/craft adult led activity. It's taking time as I need MONEY!! lol. Everything I want I need to buy and I'm getting married this year so I don't have much spare money.

I'm passioante about healthy eating and getting active so I try to pass this on to my minded children.

singlewiththree
28-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm struggling with my hands at the moment, every time I use soap they come up in a rash and I have to have special cream from the doc on it. Obviously I can't not use something to clean my hands but I've tried lots of different ones, any ideas on a more natural alternative?

My Ethos is just to go with the flow!

nikki thomson
28-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Sorry ladies but I'm bleach and cleaning products girl all the way!!!! I have a real OCD thing about cleanliness especially the bathrooms and kitchen. X

~Chelle~
28-02-2012, 10:00 AM
DH brought one of these this morning

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4067915/Trail/searchtext%3EVAX+STEAM+MOP.htm

It comes with two washable pads, so will wash after every use.

Will let you know how I get on :D

tess1981
28-02-2012, 10:24 AM

lemon juice, salt and bicarb soda
:):):):)

mindingmummy08
28-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I really love all the cleaning ideas I'm going to give this a good go the weekend see what works best and try and reduce the use of chemicals.

What do people clean their ovens with??

mr man
28-02-2012, 10:56 AM

3 not kill anyone

mandy xxx

same here :laughing:

juelmer
17-03-2012, 07:39 PM
My product of the month is a multi-cleaner which is slowly replacing about 8 bottles in my cupboard.

At a glance:

-Multi-purpose, 2X concentrated cleaner
-Phosphorus-free, making it environmentally friendly, thus reducing environmental and water pollution.
-Environmentally-friendly, biodegradable ingredients
-Mild, non-abrasive formula soften and conditions your hands and clothes
-Versatile cleaning product which de-clutters your cupboards and saves you money

Can replace:
• Multi-purpose cleaner
• Floor cleaner
• Toilet cleaner
• Window/glass cleaner
• Washing powder
• Oven cleaner
• Carpet/upholstery cleaner
• Deck/path cleaner
• Car cleaner
• Windscreen washer (Doesn't freeze)
• Antibacterial cleaner
• Dog shampoo
• Travel wash
• Granite surface cleaner

Initially I was worried about using this as I've used so called 'environmentally friendly or natural' products before (this one unfortunately isn't completely natural as it's a detergent) but this works really well and so far it's better than the high street brands I used before. Plus, it's saving me money as when I run out of my old cleaners I don't need to replace them. I can also let my daughter use it to clean windows, tables etc (obviously I spray it onto the cloth for her first) and I don't need to worry about her inhaling lots of chemicals. It's also good for people who have asthma and other breathing difficulties.

Special offer ONLY till end March....buy a bottle and get a FREE trigger spray bottle!

To see more details please see this link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=305210492867730&set=a.177373935651387.49229.166620633393384&type=1&theater