PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you carry mindees in a carrier instead of a pushchair / pram?

Nature'sKids!
10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I have ds1 who walks and ds2 who is always in a wrap or soft structured carrier like manduca or Mei Tai. I have a mutsy pram (hardly used! Lol) and I can get a double attachment for it.
I was thinking that I'd rather carry a baby than use the pram as it's so much easier. Do any of you do this? (I would have ds2 on my back or walking and mindee on my front plus another mindee in a lightweight pushchair maybe)

Velleity
10-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry but I am so in adoration of my brand new double baby jogger I couldn't comprehend wanting to carry any of them at the moment :D

Wendybird
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
I haven't done it yet, but will when I need to. Currently I have DS2 in a carrier and DS1 and mindee in a double buggy. I may have to tandem carry for nap times though as it is currently a bit crazy and I end up with one in a carrier and the other on my hip - which isn't comfortable for anyone involved! I was thinking I need another permission line on my permissions slip though, just in case. Nice to see another BW here ;)

Wendybird
10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Sorry but I am so in adoration of my brand new double baby jogger I couldn't comprehend wanting to carry any of them at the moment :D

Which one did you get? I've got the City Select and it's ace :thumbsup:

singingcactus
10-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes, I carry. I love to carry them in my wraps outside, to be able to look straight into their eyes while I chat to them :). In the house I pop them into a ring sling, and have them on my hip. Lol, even without my slings I tend to have a child on my front or my hip, I steal my friends son when I'm not working.
I don't have any who want to be carried at the moment, one wants to walk with me, or sometimes sit on my hip, and the other is used to being in a pushchair facing away. I have another starting soon, don't know anthing about him yet, but he is a little older so might just be snuggles rather than carries.

Nature'sKids!
10-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I haven't done it yet, but will when I need to. Currently I have DS2 in a carrier and DS1 and mindee in a double buggy. I may have to tandem carry for nap times though as it is currently a bit crazy and I end up with one in a carrier and the other on my hip - which isn't comfortable for anyone involved! I was thinking I need another permission line on my permissions slip though, just in case. Nice to see another BW here ;)

:D
Only just starting out on the cm journey... Can you explain the permission slip?

And I LOVE babywearing lol

uf353432
10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I care for a 1yr old on wednesdays and frequently put her in a sling on the school runs mainly because i'd have to leave the pushchair outside and then carry her in with me anyway. My pushchair allows me to have her facing out or in so I could continue to have conversations if she was in her pushchair - but I have always prefered BW - especially in winter - snuggly warm lol!

Wendybird
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I have a form with various permissions that parents sign (garden equipment, sun cream, etc). Presumably parents expect you to use a buggy, but some of them won't be familiar with baby carriers and may think they are dangerous. I thought I would add baby carrier to the list of equipment IYSWIM. At the moment the mindee I've got has always been in a carrier, so not an issue there! In fact, I made sure to ask her if she was happy with him in a buggy.

Helen79
10-10-2011, 08:51 PM
I use a mei tai with mindees but haven't got any that need carrying atm.
I've just checked my permission form and I haven't got it on there. It's just another piece of baby equipment that I need to use so don't feel I need permission, same as I don't have parent's permission to use a pushchair, travel cot or highchair.
Love your naturekids username, that your childminding business name too?

Nature'sKids!
10-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm still debating about my childminding name but it will be something along those lines :)

candlequeen
11-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Depends how busy you'll be, how far you have to walk, and how strong you are. I don't think I've got the upper body strength to do my job plus carry a baby in a carrier for more than short spaces of time!
I get so tired from mopping, cleaning, lifting and carrying babies for 10 hours a day, I can't contemplate using more energy than necessary transporting them around. But maybe you're made of stronger stuff than me!

lyla's mum
11-10-2011, 09:20 AM
dd is carried ( we are just waiting on the arrival of our new melkaj!) but she is walking more and more now, and mindee who is usually in the buggy will probably be carried instead once dd stops wanting to come up. so much easier than buggies, especially when we are picking another mindee up from school! nice to see some other babywearers on here!

chez
11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Im considering it, I dont know if I trust myself tho not to fall over. :panic:

They dont look waterproof to me how do you keep baby warm and dry

my LO is 3mths hates lying down and we have to bus often

Nature'sKids!
11-10-2011, 11:25 AM
dd is carried ( we are just waiting on the arrival of our new melkaj!) but she is walking more and more now, and mindee who is usually in the buggy will probably be carried instead once dd stops wanting to come up. so much easier than buggies, especially when we are picking another mindee up from school! nice to see some other babywearers on here!

Oh you will LOVE the melkaj! Honestly the comfiest mei tai ever !!! (I have two! Lol)

Nature'sKids!
11-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Im considering it, I dont know if I trust myself tho not to fall over. :panic:

They dont look waterproof to me how do you keep baby warm and dry

my LO is 3mths hates lying down and we have to bus often

If you want a ton of answers to any questions try www.thebabywearer.com

I have worn ds2 from birth and as I knew I would be carrying him all the time I invested in a babywearing jacket. Essentially a 3 in 1 (fleece, waterproof or both together as winter jacket) with zips and panels to attach and holes for heads to come out of.
A link will explain better lol:

http://m.suseskinder.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Fdeluxekindercoat.htm&fw_sig_premium=1&fw_sig_potential_abuse=1&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_site=15350686&fw_sig_session_key=&fw_sig_tier=0&fw_sig_url=http://www.suseskinder.com/&fw_sig_access_token=5bff9b23c410c124db1bcedca2a712 25e1901f12&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig=9c08ad96c8ab19681c3c61f0f094e9cf&fw_sig_time=1317235750352&fb_sig_network=fw#0103

You can also get babywearing covers which you tie over the carrier and baby around your back and then wear your jacket to cover yourself.

http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en-GB&gl=uk&client=safari&q=babywearing%20cover&sa=N#i=2

Also a good carrier (I'm thinking manduca or ergo as both can be used from birth to ~3 years and are easy to use) will distribute te weight evenly and not bring you off balance. (no more than being pregnant does probably)

I decided to babywear because my first ds HATED the pram too.

Helen79
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Depends how busy you'll be, how far you have to walk, and how strong you are. I don't think I've got the upper body strength to do my job plus carry a baby in a carrier for more than short spaces of time!
I get so tired from mopping, cleaning, lifting and carrying babies for 10 hours a day, I can't contemplate using more energy than necessary transporting them around. But maybe you're made of stronger stuff than me!

I find I need much more upper body strength pushing a pushchair (especially a double) than using a sling as the sling distributes the weight across the whole upper body rather than just using your arms and shoulders.
I used to carry mindee in the sling and push ds in the buggy on the 3 mile round school run and found it much easier than having to push a double buggy, especially up the hills.
When they're in the sling at home you don't have to keep bending down to pick them up all the time to cuddle them or move them away from mischief, they're just happy sat on your back while you get on with cooking the dinner or playing with the older children.