PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell his mum?

maltesers
10-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I think one of my mindees might have cerebral palsy as he is displaying a few of the symptoms.

I don't have a clue what to say to his mum - please help!

Also does anyone have any experience on this that could help me identify whether that is what it is?

christine e
10-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Think you should talk to parents about any development concerns you have and suggest they speak to health visitor/doctor but not mention cerebal palsy.

Christine

Mookins
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
you dont tell mum anything other than suggest a visit with the health visitor...you cant be naming things, its not your place or (im guessing) not qualified to diagnose it either...i dont mean to be harsh but it can be a bumpy road and parents could take it very wrong xxx

uf353432
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
never ever ever ever try and diagnose or suggest a child has any condition. Mention some of the areas of development that cause you concern and suggest they talk them over with their HV to see if there is an underlying problem.

nic t
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Yep agree with the other posts (from experience)

I would tell the parents your general concerns, maybe development delay, not walking, stiff walking, squint etc and suggest that they get LO checked out. To begin with I would be very casual and just say something like have you discussed LOs stiff walking (for example) with the HV? Might be an idea just to get it checked out.

The earlier you can get LO on the radar as such the better. Parents naturally may take a while to come round to your way of thinking, it is much easier to bury their heads in the sand than accept that there may be something wrong.

buzzy bee
10-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't have said I suspected CP as a) I'm not sure and b) don't wanna scare her. I just don't know how to even begin the conversation... I don't want to scare her by sounding serious but at the same time I don't want to sound too casual because I want her to do something about it.

Mookins
10-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't have said I suspected CP as a) I'm not sure and b) don't wanna scare her. I just don't know how to even begin the conversation... I don't want to scare her by sounding serious but at the same time I don't want to sound too casual because I want her to do something about it.

perhaps you could say for example someones mentioned the walking, say youve noticed it a lot more has it been checked out, or eyes say youre worried about lo squinting has there been a recent eye check as your worried about eye strain, be confident hun, we have faith in yoy

xx