PDA

View Full Version : The Rainbow Club

Helen Dempster
10-10-2011, 01:16 PM
just interested in opinions really...

My little man (just turned 5) has been talking about some club that he's in at school just after he's had lunch, for about 15 mins each day. I didn't know what it was or what he was talking about, but then he told me one of his friends is also in it, plus kids from different classes. I spoke to the mum and she said it's for kids who need additional help :eek: Now, it came as a complete surprise and shock to me, as his school reports have been really good, we had no cause for concern, no problems seemed to be arising etc...and nothing had been mentioned to me by the teachers. So I had a word with her. Apparently his name was on a list coming up from Reception to Year 1 which is why he's in this 'club'. It's proper name is 'BEAM' or something like that. His teacher said it's to help with his fine/motor skills, listening, concentration...and a whole load of other things that I can't remember! She said she didn't know why his name was on the list cos the teacher has since retired. I went to see Deputy Head and she basically fobbed me off (didn't realise I was a childminder and actually knew what she was telling me...which seemed rubbish!) All the things stated that he's having 'problems' with, he can do at home with one hand tied behind his back, and blindfolded. She just said that "some children are different in the school environment". He's not bothered by the club, seems to enjoy going, so I suppose there's no harm being done. I'm just really annoyed that no-one informed me, cos if he does need extra help, then surely I can then help him at home, no?? The Deputy Head told me they're not "obliged" to tell me. He's been in for about 3 wks now.

jayjay1963
10-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Have they not heard of communication between school and parents? I would be shocked too if I wasn't informed of their decision! As for not being "obliged" to keep you informed, I would want to know why!

Jacqui

Helen79
10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I thought you were talking about mindee and then realised you're talking about your own son :eek: I'm shocked that they haven't thought that you needed to know about this.
They really should be dealing with this in class time not in the lunch break, playtimes are just as important as classwork imo. If it's for concentration then denying him the opportunity to burn off energy in the playground won't help his concentration in class time at all.
I'd ask to have a formal meeting with his teacher to fins out more about it and ask to see their policy on working with parents.

rosebud
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
The lack of communication is sad and I can see why you're annoyed but if this was my son I'd just be glad that he was getting a bit of extra attention. With class sizes as big as they are I feel that the well behaved kids often miss out in class. Anything that gives my child some help (whether he needs it or not) is fine by me, as you said he's enjoying it.

miffy
10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
The deputy head's attitude is awful but if your son is happy and enjoying the club I'd leave things as they are.

Miffy xx