PDA

View Full Version : is this ok

lou lou
10-10-2011, 12:28 PM
i have just started my nvq level 3 little bit nervous about it i have started on the ways i communicate in my setting with children and parents is this ok the ways i communicate in my setting is a talk with the parents when the child arrives and a chat when it is pick up time and i communicate with the children by listening to them also using gestures , body language and eye contact especially if they are babies and allways being interested in what they have to say is this ok or does the answer have to be a bit longer?

Helen Dempster
10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
do you have a daily diary that goes back to the parents each day (not that mine ever gets written in by the parents, but still), Learning Journey books, photos, text messages/emails. All that sort of thing can be added. With the children, all that you have listed seem fine :thumbsup: You could maybe add helping them to set up activities, giving input (if old enough), active listening, positive facial expressions, being on same eye level...

If you've not already got it, I'd suggest investing in Penny Tassoni's book - highly recommend it, it helped me get through my NVQ3.

Good luck!

Penny1959
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Don't forget about listening to children through giving choices.

If you don't use other methods personally you can write about ways you have tried in the past and ways you are considering doing - such as newsletters and questionaires for parents and children - and put what you think the bebnefits would be to self, child and parent.

If you want to do a longer answer (or may come up in a different section) you could talk about communicating with those who have English as an additional language, those who use signlanguage and those who difficulty in following instructions due to an additional need.

Penny :)