PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry about after school care for a 9 yr old

nikkiross1
10-10-2011, 08:08 AM
ok, so i have offered after school care, but for some reason in my head i just always thought it would be for 5 yr old girls (i dont know why!) i have now had interest for a nine yr old boy! the lady has asked me to give her a ring, which i'll do later, but just wanted to have some ideas of activities I could do with a nine yr old boy before i ring her, so that i dont seem clueless!!
does any one have any suggestions??
also do i need to observe and look at stages of dev for a 9 yr old for afterschool?
many thanks!

Greengrass74
10-10-2011, 08:41 AM
I find that boys of this age love all the construction toys like Lego, connex, zoobs etc, also action figures and drawing, but then they also like playing with dolls and dressing up so there is no real answer I would have a chat with him and his parents to find out what he likes.

Regarding observing stages of development there is no need to record this for a 9 yo.

rosebud
10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
You don't need to worry about learning and development, you only have to implement EYFS for under 5's, there is no requirement to continue implementing a curriculum for older children. You just need to consider how you would keep him entertained. Do you have a garden? This age group tend to be very active - especially after being cooped up in school all day, other activities might be arts & crafts, board games, games console (if you have one), action figures, construction - lego, magnetix, k'nex.