PDA

View Full Version : Environmental health Inspection

Bluebell
09-10-2011, 08:38 PM
HELP! When I attended my pre-reg course it was indicated that depending on how much food handling we did as childminders we might have to register as a food business. As I am intending to provide cooked meals if required and I do lots of baking with the children I phoned the local council for advice. They were really helpful and said I did have to register as a food business and sent me some information on food safety. I've worked in catering and in a supermarket so have had quite a bit of training and experience on food handling, basic hygiene and routines and food safety etc etc.
HOWEVER, they have phoned me to say they are coming to inspect me. I had thought this was just a chat and maybe a look in my fridge but I was told I need to complete the paperwork they have sent and I am worried about what exactly they are going to be inspecting!!!
I am a really clean person (when it comes to my kitchen anyway!) but certainly not with the same daily clean down routines that I did when working in catering!
Has anyone being inspected and what do they do? I suppose it varies from council to council and probably between inspectors but any advice would be appreciated!!!

Greengrass74
09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Here are some useful sites

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforceessential/startingup/childminders/

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/sfbbcmcomplete.pdf

They may ask you about the following:
- Food preperation
- Storing food
- Fridge/freezer temperatures and recording
- Cleaning materials
- Cooked food temperatures
- Cooking and reheating

sarah707
10-10-2011, 06:51 AM
If they say anything that doesn't seem right for a home based provision come back and check it out with us.

There are a few EHOs who get confused... you only have to follow the requirements in Safer Food Better Business for childminders... not food handling for bigger operations.

I am sure it will be fine :D

miffy
10-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Get a copy of the Safer Food Better Business for Childminders and work through that.

Depending on where you live EH may visit or just contact you by telephone.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
When I had an inspection, the chap was here 5mins. He looked round said it was fine asked me to get a fridge thermometer and record the temp of the fridge down DAILY and that was it. Said I could do with a thermometer for the cooked meats but said I didnt have to have one

I HATE the recording thing....its just another peice of paperwork.......:angry:

Becky

Bluebell
11-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you for advice. I had my inspection with 2 inspectors and they checked the fridge temp, asked a few questions about what I'd filled in on the better food questions forms and I had an opportunity to ask them questions. I asked them about hand-washing which was the only thing they weren't happy with as it turned out. Only sink is kitchen sink, not very practical for children to wash hands as they rely on me to do taps and lift them up or perch them on chair BUT of course not very hygienic after changing nappies so when I asked them they agreed it was not very good and I should just use a bowl of warm soapy water. Solves my problem too as the kids can now independently wash their hands.
I had obviously made sure my kitchen was spotless but they didn't check the cupboards or the inside of the microwave. they did ask where my washing machine was but its outside in the shed so no worries there (only because if I was cooking with children and bringing soiled bedding or something through at same time.) So all in all not so bad!

Tatjana
11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Sarah's right when she says some of them get confused...I was told I must tie my hair back when preparing/handling food :eek: He checked my cupboards and even used a torch to look down the gaps between my washing machine and fridge...then told me he could 'take the place apart' if he had any doubts on hygiene :angry: Yeah sure i'd really let him do that, ugh.

He asked a million questions, I could not wait to get rid of him, which thankfully he finally hurried up his inspection when I said I had to go for a pre school pick up. He was a nightmare!!!