PDA

View Full Version : BA Hons early childhood studies or Foundation Degree in Early Years?

LucyLu
09-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi!
Was just wondering if anyone had any advice? Im debating about starting either my BA Hons in Early Childhood Studies or my Foundation Degree in early years. I was just wondering which one is better/higher level?
I have lots of experience, worked at senior level in day nursery for 4 years etc and feel like pushing myself some more.

Any advice much appreciated

thank you

Lucy

T0ffee
09-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi, being as I'm taking my year 5 exam tomorrow in BA (hons)youth and childhood studies and know many people who have done the foundation degree that's what I wish I'd have done first!! You can always go on to top up your degree if you then want to continue.

I work full time child minding, x2 kids on my own and I tell you if I pass this exam tomorrow it'll be a miracle.

I've been studying mine through the open university and it's tough going!!

rosebud
09-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I agree with Toffee, do the Foundation Degree and then top up to BA hons when you're ready. You don't have to it all in one go that way and can take a break between the 2 year Foundation Degree and the final year of the BA hons if you need to. I don't about other universitys but with Open Uni you can get a level 4 certificate in Early Years on the way to achieving the Foundation Degree too.

Toffee: GOOD LUCK for the exam, I'm sure it will go better than you think.

LucyLu
09-10-2011, 07:40 PM
thanks for your replies.

Possible stupid question but are exams involved in both of the courses?

So if i was to do my foundation degree for two years, i could then take the third year to make it a BA Hons?

I need to look into both a bit more i think but thank you for your thoughts, i take them on board!

I know i could do the coursework/assignments, its just finding the time...i also work full time with 3 children of my own under the age of three but have very supportive husband and family. there just never seems to be enough time in the day these days!

Good luck with your exam T0ffee, let us know how you do

Pipsqueak
09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi!
Was just wondering if anyone had any advice? Im debating about starting either my BA Hons in Early Childhood Studies or my Foundation Degree in early years. I was just wondering which one is better/higher level?
I have lots of experience, worked at senior level in day nursery for 4 years etc and feel like pushing myself some more.

Any advice much appreciated

thank you

Lucy

the foundation degree is levels 4 and 5 and normally the stepping stone onto the BA hons which is level 6.

I have just completed my full BA Hons via Uni (classroom based) and it was tough going with working full time, being a mum etc. Throughly enjoyed it though and its made a huge difference to my practice and me personally

The Juggler
09-10-2011, 09:06 PM
its more or less the same, as Pip says. The FD is basically just the 1st two years of your degree only you do them at a college instead of uni usually. I too did the FD then went on to 3rd year at uni.:thumbsup:

T0ffee
10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the good luck messages-I can always re-take in April!!! OMG that was hard and I forgot everything when I sat down!!

If you go through the Open University it takes 6 years to do the full BA Hons degree as its part time!

Hopefully I have one year left but no more exams!!

bonbon2111
10-10-2011, 11:24 PM
hey, i did the fd and just finished it in june. it was hard going and with children of my own and wrkin, it was tough.

I would def recommend doing the fd before the hons, ai know you have theory bout alot of theory and coursework involved .

hope this helps!

:)

suzyblue
11-10-2011, 06:40 PM
You can overlap some of the O.U. foundation degree courses to get it done more quickly. I am about to start my third year but some students are overlapping their 3rd and 4th year to get in finished in 3 years. I plan to top up to a full degree afterwards.

watgem
15-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I am just starting the BA honours top up degree after 2 years of fd, although its been incredibly challenging the fd has been good as it is worked based, everything we have done has linked to our practice , and although we only go to uni once a week we are classed as full time students so could access the tuition fees loan etc, and use our uni cards in the pictures etc:)

Playmate
15-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I have just started the 2nd year of the FD through my local uni. It is all assignment based. At the end of the year I have the option to go into the 3rd year to top up as a BA. However I have decided to take some time out ( mainly due to financial reasons, as I haven't received funding this year), but I can always go back in a couple of years if things change.

T0ffee
29-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Just wanted to update you all and share my good news that I passed my exam! What a relief xx

green puppy
29-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Just wanted to update you all and share my good news that I passed my exam! What a relief xx

Well done, that's fab!!:clapping: How did you find it?

suzyblue
30-11-2011, 10:34 AM

BRILLIANT!!!! WELL DONE!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping:

rosebud
30-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Well done, I'm really pleased for you. Have a very large glass of something to celebrate.

T0ffee
30-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I must say 'green puppy' it was hard and lots of work but true grit and determination works wonders!! I sat for half an hour in the exam ready to run or cry but thought I'd just best get on with it!!! Was worth it now xx

green puppy
30-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Which module was this as I am considering whether to continue with the fd or change path and do the youth and childhood studies. My worry with the exam is that I will just go blank, panic and fail!!!!

T0ffee
30-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I've just done KE 312 working Together for children, it was an optional course for the childhood and youth studies for level 3 and possibly one of the most difficult according to many on the course. It was all about multi agency working, very interesting course and it makes you view all the agencies involved with children. I am doing a research project for my final year so that will be interesting too no doubt!

I was lucky to pass but you can always re-take, I have nothing but myself to let down, I'm doing this for me no one else so it kind of takes the pressure off. It has made me work that much harder and to be honest spurred me on. The only reason I did childhood and youth studies is because I am not limited to early years therefore can broaden my choice of further career opportunities.

josiebumpkin
30-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I am in my 2nd yr of the foundation degree but after having a 3yr gap between first and 2nd yr (had two children in that time) I am finding it a challange but a welcome one - just see if I am saying this in 2 weeks when I have two essays due on the 14th dec!!!

I have learnt lots and I enjoy going to college