PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering.....

Bizzy Lizzy
09-10-2011, 04:47 PM
I may be jumping the gun a bit here as i havent even been for my briefing session yet but i have so many questions going around in my head, and feel the need to air them to see if i can get some answers.

How do you go about having time off for holidays etc? Do you have set weeks of the year that are written into the childs contract, or do you just agree to give a certain amount of notice to the parents, or something else?

I have 2 of my own childen and if one of them was to come home from school sick and i was minding what would i do?

Hope you dont mind me asking these questions just trying to get some answers to the questions as they pop up

Thank you
Liz x

Penny1959
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bizzy Lizzy;993937]I may be jumping the gun a bit here as i havent even been for my briefing session yet but i have so many questions going around in my head, and feel the need to air them to see if i can get some answers.

How do you go about having time off for holidays etc? Do you have set weeks of the year that are written into the childs contract, or do you just agree to give a certain amount of notice to the parents, or something else?
I have a set number of days off a year - I give parents a list at end December so they can arrange cover or to take holidays themselves. Parents pay me full for these holidays. If I have to take an occassional extra day off I give as much notice as possible but don't charge for that day.

I have 2 of my own childen and if one of them was to come home from school sick and i was minding what would i do?
You would have to close unless not infectious / D+V and child able to look after self upstairs

Hope you dont mind me asking these questions just trying to get some answers to the questions as they pop up

Ask all the questions you want to - but remember when you are a childminder you will be your own boss and can make all your own business decisions. Therefore my answers are what I do - others will do things differently

Penny :)

Greengrass74
09-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Thank you
Liz x

We have 20 days a year and always let parents know in January, we always have 1 week in April/Easter half term, 1 week in Aug summer holidays and 2 weeks in October (1 week half term and 1 week term time). This is our main holiday as we always go away somewhere sunny to escape the cold here.

Bizzy Lizzy
09-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks Penny and Dave.

So you charge parents even when you book weeks off? or have i read that wrong Penny

xx

Nature'sKids!
09-10-2011, 06:52 PM
So it's entirely up to you?
Could you - potentially - say that you work term time only?

Greengrass74
09-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Remember it is your business and you do what best suits you, we are all differant like I said we always take 2 weeks in October, for us it breaks up the time from summer hols to Xmas which always seems to be a drag.

Bizzy Lizzy
09-10-2011, 08:03 PM
ok. Ive got a while to think about it and will take all the info on board. I dont want to just be term time as i want to seem available throughout the whole year. Do you not charge during those weeks that you are away?

:)

Demonjill
09-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Hiya

It is possible to have mindees all year, term time only or/and holiday only and some on here do all of the above or just 1. Some charge for hols, some dont, some half fees etc

As has been said its your business and you choose what you do.

It may be worth while checking out what other minders in your local area do though, especially if its quiet at the mo(as is in alot of areas just now) sometimes being flexible is great to get the mindees in the door then you regret doing things so you tweak things as you go along and learn from mistakes too.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Penny1959
10-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks Penny and Dave.

So you charge parents even when you book weeks off? or have i read that wrong Penny

xx

Yes I do Bizzy Lizzy - but my hourly rate is a bit lower than some other cm's. I also charge parents full for their holidays. I found out through experience (last registration that you can end up without any money coming in for quite a lot of weeks of the year - which I found it made it hard for me to manage my own finances.

For example I have Oct half term off - now mindde A parent has told me they are taking all of the wekk befor half term off - and mindee B is having Wed, Thurs Fri off for a family wedding also the week before half term.

If I was not charging I would be down a lot of money the week before my holiday and no income for my actual holiday.

Of course you could charge a higher hourly rate and 'put some aside' for holidays.

If you are not going to charge for holidays or as some do charge half - I strongly recommend you state how many weeks holiday a parent can take as some will take opportunity to split parent holidays / send to relatives and use friends and say all are holidays - so only pay you half or nothing as per contract.

There is a lot to think about.

If you want to take a look at my fees and what I charge for what look at my website www.********************* but remember fees in my area my be higher or lower than in yours.

And while on the internet it is a good idea to look at as many childminder websites as possible - especially those who live in your area.

Penny :)

Bizzy Lizzy
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes there is so much to think about. I was thinking of letting the parents know in advance what weeks i will be having off then if they want to have different holidays then they still pay full amount. From having a quick look i dont think there are many childminders around by me just shame i have to wait so long as my briefing session isnt until January then the 6 week course (dont know if it has a name) isnt until the following November so have a while to wait.

xx

Bizzy Lizzy
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
wow penny your website is fantastic and really informative! x