PDA

View Full Version : expenses queries

jadavi
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Hi, I have 3 expenses questions for those who might know.....

- how do you claim for casual purchases like toys at car boots sales or fetes etc? Do you get everyone to sign a receipt?

- I use my iphone for evidence photos and ink from our computer to print out...any idea how I'd claim for that? Could I claim a percentage of my iphone contract? (For our new TV I added up the hours I use it with kids and then worked out the percentage in the week and took that from the receipt of the TV.... no idea how that would transfer to an iphone contract tho!)

- for fuel, do I just have to record miles travelled and places to and from?

Thanks for any help in advance

jackie

rosebud
09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
You don't need a receipt for anything less than £10 so if you're buying stuff at a car boot for example and its less than £10 just write it in your expenses and don't worry about a reciept. If its more than this you will need to get a reciept.

I dont' think you can claim for your iphone contract as you would probably still have it if you weren't childminding and I would have thought your television should come under the 10% wear and tear allowance at the end of they year, I wouldn't thought you can put that down but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

For car use you can either claim 45p per mile for car use and will need to record all your trips, if you do it this way you can't also claim other costs for your car. Alternatively you can claim a percentage of your actual costs based on how much you use the car for personal use andhow much for minding. So for example if its half and half you can claim half your car insurance, half your petrol, half your tax, etc but you don't put 45p per mile through. You can't switch from one system to the other, so need to choose which it will be. Personally I use the 45p per mile system as this just seems easier.

Hope that helps

jadavi
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks, yes that's really helpful thanks Rosebid