PDA

View Full Version : Highchairs and safety

candlequeen
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
One of my mindees had a minor accident in my home, which thankfully turned out OK, but as a result I've been generally reviewing all my safety measures for the younger ones.
I was wondering whether it is seen as good practice to use five-point harnesses on highchairs so that there is no risk of a child falling out? At the moment I have just the waist level straps for the children aged as young as 12-14 months. I never leave the room, so I don't think they'd ever have enough time to lean really far out without me noticing, but wondered what others think?

PixiePetal
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I leave a harness attached to mine - the waist strap was rubbish. With the tray pushed in close they can't get out at all but the straps are there for any wrigglers just in case :) cheap solution to a possible nasty accident - RA sorted :thumbsup:

watgem
08-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I bought highchairs with 5 point harnessess, and I always supervise the children as well

Velleity
08-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I'd never leave a child for a moment alone in a highchair so I guess the type of strap wouldn't be -that- important however the one I have now does have a five strap.

margaret
08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I would always use a five point harness would not consider using highchair without.Accidents happen in seconds ,doesnt matter if you are in room or not.Child stands up topples hits head on table - fractured skull,loss of consciousnesss etc I was a paediatric nurse and have seen allsorts of accidents involving higchairs ,better safe than sorry.

moggy
08-10-2011, 07:56 PM
But I balance this with the risk of a child choking and me not being able to get the child out of harness to help them (harness buckle under bibs, hidden by tray and fiddly to open). I judge it by the particular child- wrigglers need to be strapped in but a 1 year old eating with me sitting next to her, I feel, is safer without the harness- more chance of her choking than her climbing out. I have heard of people having to lift/tip up whole high chair with child strapped-in in the case of a serious choke. I have solid wood high chairs so no chance of that! Just comes down to your judgement of risk for that particular child.