PDA

View Full Version : Parent needs some help

BlondeMoment
08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi there fellow childminders,

A friend/parent asked my advice on something the other day and I was stumped. Was wondering if any of you had any ideas/experience.

Two nights a week she cares for her twin step daughters: aged about 20 months I think.
At night one of them decides she's going to cause havoc and refuses to go to sleep.
She goes nuts by all accounts. She is able to climb out of the cot with high sides. And she literally rips off all her clothes and her nappy because she knows that will get her parents back in the room to put the nappy back on. If they don't go in to put it back on she wees all over the place.

What can she do to show this little girl it's bedtime and that's that.
Tantrums I can deal with, but tearing all your clothes off and weeing on the floor???? Any ideas?

Pipsqueak
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Nappy on back to front and secured with superglue (ok I am joking about the superglue) and put the babygro on back to front as well.

I think the supernanny trick of no communication - just clean up the child in total silence, no eye contact and put back to bed.... calm and consistent.

Penny1959
08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Agree try the back to front nappy but if child determined will rip it off anyway.

I had one once who did this (through Social services - very sad family situation so could understand why she did it) anyway when put to bed I stood outside the door(just a jar) and listened. First sound of movement I went in lay the child back down in cot went back out of room. First night of doing this I must have gone back into room two hundred times and it carried on into the early hours. I did not get cross - did not speak to child and eventually child went to sleep. Second night repeated a very firm nite nite - then out side the door - only went back in a few times, By end of week child had decided that no point in trying to take off nappy / climb out of cot as I was always just outside the door. Of course once child stopped trying I stopped standing outside the door.

Penny :)

~Grasshopper~
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
hi,

my own 18mth old is in a toddler bed now as it was dangerous him climbling out of his cot and we've had a few issues but he sleeps great now.

i would tape the nappy on, put into a vest, sleepsuit and zip up fleece sleepsuit. then stick to a firm bedtime routine and if she gets up/ creates then just sort out and lie back down and say the same thing everytime.
my son's sleep trigger is 'night night luca' we've said it since day1 and he knows its time for sleep.

xxx

The Juggler
09-10-2011, 09:13 PM
i agree, taped nappy, vest, babygrow (wiht back fastener) and maybe even one of those sleeping bag affairs.

also would do exactly what Penny did.:thumbsup:

Flisspaps
10-10-2011, 07:47 AM
If she can climb out of the cot then she's ready for a bed.

I agree with the change in silence - however stripping off is a normal 'phase' that many toddlers go through, it will end of it's own accord (eventually).

Would it help to have a potty in the room? If she does take her nappy off she may go and wee in there (rather than piddling on the carpet)

BlondeMoment
12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks ever so much everyone. I've copy pasted all your replies into an email and I think so far the nappy on backwards is working. She's ready with the tape should that fail LOL.:clapping: