PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?!

mumto2
07-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Cope with a screamer? I have got a little girl starting with me next week, and shes a screamer!! They came round this morning for a play and so me and the mum could do the paperwork etc, but when mum got up to get a tissue she screamed her head off!!! Mum hadn't even left the room!! Argh, starting to worry now!!! I'm sure she will be fine, and I shouldn't be worried but didn't get good feelings this am!!

mama2three
07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
how do you cope? well Ive learned to switch off slightly , and keep focusing on the positives though some days ( like yesterday) its soo hard. Ive had my little one since June and am running out of steam. There have been signs of improvement , but then a new tooth or illness and we seem to be back where we started.
It may be that she is different with you altogether , so I wouldnt worry just yet! How old is she? I keep hoping my little one will improve once he starts to be mobile , and as his understanding improves. Good Luck x

mumto2
07-10-2011, 01:13 PM
how do you cope? well Ive learned to switch off slightly , and keep focusing on the positives though some days ( like yesterday) its soo hard. Ive had my little one since June and am running out of steam. There have been signs of improvement , but then a new tooth or illness and we seem to be back where we started.
It may be that she is different with you altogether , so I wouldnt worry just yet! How old is she? I keep hoping my little one will improve once he starts to be mobile , and as his understanding improves. Good Luck x

Hi, thanks for replying, she is 13 months. I am hoping she will be different for me, when mum isn't here!! (Luckily mum was very understanding, and reassured me she thought she would be ok, but I guess I will find out next week!!)

Beetlejuice
07-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Like Mama says - I try to switch off and focus on the positives. I had one start a couple of weeks back. He comes for 11 hours a day and the first two days he screamed for 10 hours!:eek: Two weeks in and he's gone down to 5 hours of screaming lol. It's very hard but you get there in the end. The last screamer I had took 6 weeks to settle so I'm hoping I've only got 3-4 weeks left until he calms down :cool:

Pandypops
07-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I was going to just post something similar until I saw this. My new, 7 month old mindee has screamed every day he has been here this week which has set off the other two. I was close to tears today as I couldn't settle any of them (i have another 7 month old and my 16 month old son). Such hard work, thankfully he is asleep now but I am already dreading him waking up!! I hope he settles as I can't bear it.,......

Schnakes
07-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Must be the new fashion amongst babies - I recently posted about my screamer!!!! :)

I would wait and see what happens with this little one. I have one who was (and still is!!!) TERRIBLE for her mum, but for me, she realised quite quickly that it wasnt going to wash. I had her from a year, shes still with me two years later and I STILL get comments from people who know her mum, saying "Oooh, isnt she well behaved for you"!!!

On the other hand, I have a little boy at the mo who is a screamer and driving me mad......so......:huh: :huh: really!!!

I think her age will help...and the fact that shes a girl. I find girl screamers a lot easier than the boys, for some reason!!!

Good luck!!! Sx

mumto2
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks all for your replies, it nice to know its not just me then!! (altho do sympathise with you all, it is hard work!) I am hoping she will settle in quickly as she will be my only mindee (am fairly new to childminding!!) at the mo, so will be able to give her my full attention!! Got lots of things lined up to do and plenty of cds to play etc, and if all else fails, I will think of the pennies at the end of the day and look forward to a large G&T after shes gone home!!! (and before anyone says it, I'm NOT an alcoholic!! :blush: ) lol xx

Chimps Childminding
07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I have got one :eek: he is 10 months old and has been with me for 2 months now. Yesterday he screamed solidly for an hour, he can be fine one minute and then for no apparent reason he starts and once he starts he doesn't know when to stop!!!

He is ok if he is cuddled in to me, not happy just being sat on my lap, but if any of the other children come near me or him, if I need to leave the room to do anything for anyone he starts. He actually made himself sick on Wednesday because he screamed so hard, he had fallen asleep so I put him down in the travel cot. As I put him down he woke up but I thought I would leave him for a few minutes and he might go back off :rolleyes: but within seconds he had screamed the place down and threw up as I picked him up out of the cot.

Really hoping he settles down as he is here on my busiest days anyway and I am finding it tough. Especially as I have another baby the same age who is as good as gold and so unfortunately doesn't seem to get as much attention :blush: Also, I don't know how to tell mum if I decide to give notice :(