PDA

View Full Version : Front passenger seat

Tatjana
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi!

Does anyone have any idea on how old you have to be to sit in the front of a car with an air bag...I have googled it and not seeing anything which makes any sense so far.

Or alternatively, does anyone have any idea how much it costs to de-activate an airbag?

Thanks in advance.

jadavi
07-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Ourtaxi driver said 8 y o. Some cars can be easily deactivated. Our ford galaxy can't be :(

clio0602
07-10-2011, 05:28 AM
I was told by another cm who had asked the police as she didn't know where to get any info that it was 11yrs. Something to do with their lungs not being able to cope with the force of impact.

Saying that ds has sat in front seat since age 9 with it as far back as it will go.

Wrt deactivating the airbag I think it may invalidate insurance unless there's a key to turn it off and on. Vauxhall refused to turn off mine as they sell special car seats that deactivated the airbag when put on the passenger seat! Hth x

christine e
07-10-2011, 05:37 AM
This is the info link to direct gov which clearly states that children in rear facing car seats cannot be placed in a front seat with air bag activated - the advice for all other children is to place the seat as far back as possible from the airbag

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Roadandtravelsafety/DG_10037077

Hope this helps

Christine

Penny1959
07-10-2011, 05:41 AM
There is a lot of confusion about this issue. I always use this website for information

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/

My understanding is that it is only illeagal to use rear facing seats in the front in cars with air bags. Children can travel in forward facing seats in the front of cars with air bags - the seat must be the right ione for the childs size and weight and the front seat should be as far back as possible.

There is a height restriction on when children can stop using car seats.

I often have minded children in apropriate car seats in the front of the car.

Penny :)

buzzy bee
07-10-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm always unsure of the car seat in the front thing myself, but re the airbag, we have a key slot (same as usual car key) in our glove box to turn it on and off

AliceK
07-10-2011, 09:01 AM
There is a lot of confusion about this issue. I always use this website for information

My understanding is that it is only illeagal to use rear facing seats in the front in cars with air bags. Children can travel in forward facing seats in the front of cars with air bags - the seat must be the right ione for the childs size and weight and the front seat should be as far back as possible.

This is my understanding too and this is what I've always done.
I will only use the passenger seat if there are no other seats available and will put the eldest child there, obviously in the appropriate car seat and push the seat back as far as I can without squashing the childs legs behind.
Unfortunately I can't turn my passenger air bag off. I will always use the passenger seat over the middle seat in the back as I refuse to use a lapbelt on anyone though. (unless I have a child in the Britax Prince which fits great with the lapbelt)

xxx

rickysmiths
07-10-2011, 09:06 AM

This is what I always did until I had a car with an air bag that I can turn off using the car key in a slot in the glove compartment.

moggy
07-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Yes, it is just REAR FACING seats that can NOT be in the front with an airbag. This is because they are just a few inches from the dashboard which is too close. A front facing seat with airbag, for any age, is legal and I do that when I have no other option.

Tatjana
07-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your very helpful replies.

It would be a 10 year old, which seems like it would be ok. No need for it just now but in case I need to wanted to check first.

RachelE
07-10-2011, 01:34 PM
May be an obvious statement, but I would do it on height not age!

My ds(10) is a lot taller than his cousin who is 2 years older. But MIL always puts her in the front 'because she's the oldest'. When she first started doing this - she probably wasnt tall enough to not get squashed!

Rachel x

lulubelle
09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
i always end up putting my own son in the front over minded children. i also cant turn my airbag off. apparently tho you can get the car dealers to put in a switch so that it can be turnt on and off, not sure if that would effect insurance tho

~Grasshopper~
09-10-2011, 11:06 AM
ive just looked into this. ford charge £60 plus fitting to fit a key to turn off the airbag.

you must never use a rear facing carseat in the front with an airbag and the age that you can use the front with airbag is 8 years +.

i really wouldnt use a forward seat in the front with an active airbag, if just so dangerous. i walk on the days i cant for the children in safely.
x

christine e
09-10-2011, 12:10 PM
ive just looked into this. ford charge £60 plus fitting to fit a key to turn off the airbag.

you must never use a rear facing carseat in the front with an airbag and the age that you can use the front with airbag is 8 years +.

i really wouldnt use a forward seat in the front with an active airbag, if just so dangerous. i walk on the days i cant for the children in safely.
x

Sorry but have to disagree with you - you can use any forward facing seat in the passenger seat with the air-bag activated - the two websites below confirm this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Roadandtravelsafety/DG_10037077

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/#under3

Penny1959
09-10-2011, 12:29 PM

you must never use a rear facing carseat in the front with an airbag and the age that you can use the front with airbag is 8 years +.i really wouldnt use a forward seat in the front with an active airbag, if just so dangerous. i walk on the days i cant for the children in safely.
x

I am wondering who has told you this? I do know some people - including professionals such as Social Workers have been know to give the wrong information/

There are lots of reasons why you might need to sit a chld in the front
A child known to choke or vomit
A child who might have a fit
A child who has behaviour issues
A child who is able to undo own seat belt

And many more reasons - I use the front seat in preference to the rear seat in my 7 seater as I consider it to be safer.

Tealady
09-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I think there has been some research done in America that said it was dangerous. I had a mindee who told my daughter she would die sat in the front with an airbag :angry: I was not happy. I follow the precautions and if it really was that dangerous then there would be campagins and publisity to change the law

clio0602
09-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I think its the fact that if the airbag activates it can cause a lot of damage to the head and chest of a child. I wouldn't use a carseat in the front with an airbag as it decreases the distance between the airbag and the child IYSWIM.

When ds was 135cm I used a booster cushion with passenger seat as far as it can go just incase.

I think u just have to weigh it all up and make an informed decision x