PDA

View Full Version : I think I know what I have to do!

Katiekoo
06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi All,
Dreading the next few weeks/months. I may have to take the decision to let my part time 18 month old mindee go. The child is really lovely, I've had child since 8 months old. I also have the older sibling after school some days. Lovely family, very friendly - alway pay and are polite, BUT...

I will probably be offered a full time 1 year old (also lovely) who I already have one day a week, this is because his other minder may be finishing soon. More money and more reliable family.
And my part time mindee's parent is very chaotic and I more or less keep a full time space open for them although they only use 21 hours per week, I never really know what days they will be coming and work pattern changes like the wind! I often find out on the day that child won't be coming or can child arrive early, stay late etc via text.

I know what needs doing, but I hate letting people down. I feel letting part time mindee go is the sensible action, but I will hate doing it.

Anyone ever done this - giving notice for business purposes?
What's the best way to approach this with the family, should I explain it's about money and stability? Do you have to give a reason?

edited to subscribe!

Twinkles
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Why not ask for a variation ? As you already have the one year old you should get it on the grounds of continuity of care.

Blaze
06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I agree with Twinkles - you should request a variation from OFSTED on the grounds of continuity of care.:thumbsup:

Katiekoo
06-10-2011, 07:28 PM
A vaiation is a really good idea, however I don't feel I could care for my part time child and two full timers. The part timer is quite hard work - boistrous, climbing, clumsy, shouty and full on! Love this child very much but I'm realistic about my ability to cater for them all! Plus I think I may loose my existing full timer if I took on too many, the family likes the idea of lower numbers.

Katiekoo
07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
As expected I have been asked to take on the full timer. I have to start thinking about when and how to give notice, I've never done it before. Really hate letting people down. Don't know what to say to them :(